• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Something I never thought much about, until today...........................

nashvillesigns

Making America great, one sign at a time.
i like the omega bond. as far as prices go, the vendors are pretty much in the same ballpark. i cant see justifiyng the corrigated stuff, because, well.... its coro.
its like taking a good whiskey and pouring gingerale all over it.
meh.
-mosher

Billct2

I didn't realize we were talking about only one thickness, and I personally didn't say ACM was stronger.
I prefer it for other reasons stated. When we need something thicker we've been bonding two 6mm together.
Someone mentioned that building suppliers have 1/2" & 3/4" ACM, I've never seen that, and if it was available I would think my
supplier would have it. I'm also not talking about it's use for 4x8 panels, I use it as a replacement for 1/2" alumaply which has gone to hell as far as quality.

skyhigh

So, if you're installing a 4' x 8' between 2 uprights, the corrugated core will withstand up to 120 mph without any extra support, where with the solid core, it is advised, to put a beam across the top and also the bottom if you can do it.
Are they saying its holds up better, simply because the solid core will flex, causing weakness over time?
How about a direct hit, if someone tried to destroy? Same thing?

The corrugated stuff dents way too easy. Heck, just lean your elbow on the sheet.... you won't be happy!!!
Add in the extra work and material to cover the edges..... I'd rather use the stringers and stick with the solid core.

fyi. I'd use stringers with a 4x8 of the corrugated stuff anyways.

sfd2122

We go through roughly 750-1000 sheets a year. Our largest customers are for 4x8 realty signage. We always use the corrugated over the solid core. The corrugated it much much stronger when installing between post with out any bracing. We have been doing this for many of years and have had no problems with denting, bending, or damage do to weather. You have to use cabinet screws to install, they have a larger head on them so that you don't sink the screws through the face. Solid core is alot more floppy and not as much stability. Solid core is also a lot heavier. There are uses for the solid core but for our application the corrugated works much better. Since we buy so much our pricing is pretty good.

RyanFelty

I have had a tonnn of experience with putting up 4x6 and 4x8s between 2 posts and the alumilite is far better and sturdy....not to mention a lot lighter. We put up 4x6 polymetal before with braces to and bottom and the panel actually warped so much from the wind that it blew through the sign. Never had this problem with alumilite

skyhigh

I have had a tonnn of experience with putting up 4x6 and 4x8s between 2 posts and the alumilite is far better and sturdy....not to mention a lot lighter. We put up 4x6 polymetal before with braces to and bottom and the panel actually warped so much from the wind that it blew through the sign. Never had this problem with alumilite

I've never, ever saw 6mm (with braces.... or without) warp. While I have saw the 3mm warp, if there were no stringers.