Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sows ear into a silk purse with lipstick on it!

Discussion in 'Dimensional Signs' started by SignManiac, Apr 19, 2011.

1. SignManiac

SignManiac Major Contributor

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    I was sent a not very good logo and was asked to make it into a carved sign. Well it was a little tricky to work with but I ended up pretty pleased with the outcome. The first pic shows just the letters they sent me. The second is what I came up with to hold everything together. The other pictures show the end result with a few close ups.

I personally would not have used the design sent, I'm sure I could have come up with something better, but that wasn't an option.

This piece is being stud mounted on a wall just as you enter the center. It's made entirely from PVC except the rounded discovery letters. I made those from HDU. All paints are latex. The overall size is 32"h. x 72"w.

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    :thumb:

3. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Wonderful. That is truly wonderful.

Are they all different layers as in separate and then glued together ??

4. surf city

surf city Active Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Toms River, NJ
    As usual you're work speaks for itself.................looks great

5. d fleming

d fleming Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Middleburg, Florida
    Great piece.

6. Border

Border Very Active Member

Feb 8, 2007
    Minnesota
    Damn, that's nice!

7. petepaz

petepaz Major Contributor

Feb 14, 2007
    NJ/NY/PA
    looks great

8. John L

John L Very Active Member

Apr 28, 2007
    Exceptional! Very much a Wow!

9. Bannerday

Bannerday Member

Nov 28, 2007
    PA
    Gorgeous!!

10. SignManiac

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    Wow, thanks everyone. I was half expecting some critique on the design which I would have been fine with. I guess it sort of looks loose with the funky discovery lettering but the added dimensions help distract you from the fonts they used in their logo. It's pleasant to look at oddly enough.

11. Jim Doggett

Jim Doggett Very Active Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Bragging rights well earned!!! Bravo on a beautiful rendering.

12. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    :U Rock:

13. ionsigns

ionsigns Member

Feb 17, 2011
    What do you call a call a customer whose logo is not professionally archived in EPS AI or even CDR...usually I call them a pain in the *** with an amateur designer...but that usually means they designed it themselves in MS PUBLISHER...puke.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  14. John L

Apr 28, 2007
    SM - If you are inclined to share, I'd love to hear about your method, strategy, sources, and inspiration in regard to color selection. I know you use a lot of latex paints in your production but I am interested in how you arrive at the actual color schemes. You always seem to be right on target with color and that is an area that I sweat over daily.

15. Jillbeans

Jillbeans Major Contributor

Dec 24, 2003
    Butler, PA
    Who says you can't polish a turd?
    Bob, you are very gifted.
    You managed to add flair and cohesiveness (is that a word?) to a very mediocre layout.
    Love.....Jill

16. mrchips

mrchips Member

Nov 21, 2008
    I love it!

I'm in the same boat with John L......your color choices are wonderful..

Thanks for the close ups. They really show the construction.

Great job!

Joe,

Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!

17. SignManiac

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    Again thank you for making me feel better everyone about a sign I wasn't 100% about. I often will turn down a project if I don't get my way totally. But they seemed nice to deal with and were completely open to my suggestions and price was never an issue, so I caved.

John, I can't say I plan much of anything. I just see things finished in my minds eye even before the sign is done. I've always had a thang for color. I dream in color and I choose most colors by feel. I'll go into Home Depot and stare at the whole board of color swatches and immediately see the perfect color. Takes me two minutes to decide,so there's no real process involved.

As far as making the sign. I always leave options open. If midway through a project I get a sudden idea that I think will add or enhance the overall sign when it's done, I jump on it with no regard to the selling price. I just try to make sure that my stuff is as close to a work of art as it can be. This way I know the client will be blown away and thats my ultimate goal in the end. I've found that by going the extra mile, it can pay large dividends down the road so the money always finds its way back to me in the end.

18. Pinfinity

Pinfinity Active Member

Apr 8, 2010
    NJ
    Outstanding workmanship SM..... your color choices, materials, and technique...rule!

19. John L

Apr 28, 2007
    I was afraid of that... you are just damn good!

...and here I am heading off to the grocery store ripping color schemes off the labels.

20. Si Allen

Si Allen Very Active Member

Jul 17, 2004
    Maniac ... you made a POS design into something nice!