• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sows ear into a silk purse with lipstick on it!

SignManiac

I was sent a not very good logo and was asked to make it into a carved sign. Well it was a little tricky to work with but I ended up pretty pleased with the outcome. The first pic shows just the letters they sent me. The second is what I came up with to hold everything together. The other pictures show the end result with a few close ups.

I personally would not have used the design sent, I'm sure I could have come up with something better, but that wasn't an option.

This piece is being stud mounted on a wall just as you enter the center. It's made entirely from PVC except the rounded discovery letters. I made those from HDU. All paints are latex. The overall size is 32"h. x 72"w.

Attachments

• Discovery-00.jpg
    Discovery-00.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 126
  • Discovery-02.jpg
    Discovery-02.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 128
  • Discovery-01.jpg
    Discovery-01.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 110
  • Discovery-03.jpg
    Discovery-03.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 107

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Wonderful. That is truly wonderful.

Are they all different layers as in separate and then glued together ??

SignManiac

Wow, thanks everyone. I was half expecting some critique on the design which I would have been fine with. I guess it sort of looks loose with the funky discovery lettering but the added dimensions help distract you from the fonts they used in their logo. It's pleasant to look at oddly enough.

ionsigns

What do you call a call a customer whose logo is not professionally archived in EPS AI or even CDR...usually I call them a pain in the ass with an amateur designer...but that usually means they designed it themselves in MS PUBLISHER...puke.

Last edited:

John L

SM - If you are inclined to share, I'd love to hear about your method, strategy, sources, and inspiration in regard to color selection. I know you use a lot of latex paints in your production but I am interested in how you arrive at the actual color schemes. You always seem to be right on target with color and that is an area that I sweat over daily.

Jillbeans

Who says you can't polish a turd?
Bob, you are very gifted.
You managed to add flair and cohesiveness (is that a word?) to a very mediocre layout.
Love.....Jill

mrchips

I love it!

I'm in the same boat with John L......your color choices are wonderful..

Thanks for the close ups. They really show the construction.

Great job!

Joe,

Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!

SignManiac

Again thank you for making me feel better everyone about a sign I wasn't 100% about. I often will turn down a project if I don't get my way totally. But they seemed nice to deal with and were completely open to my suggestions and price was never an issue, so I caved.

John, I can't say I plan much of anything. I just see things finished in my minds eye even before the sign is done. I've always had a thang for color. I dream in color and I choose most colors by feel. I'll go into Home Depot and stare at the whole board of color swatches and immediately see the perfect color. Takes me two minutes to decide,so there's no real process involved.

As far as making the sign. I always leave options open. If midway through a project I get a sudden idea that I think will add or enhance the overall sign when it's done, I jump on it with no regard to the selling price. I just try to make sure that my stuff is as close to a work of art as it can be. This way I know the client will be blown away and thats my ultimate goal in the end. I've found that by going the extra mile, it can pay large dividends down the road so the money always finds its way back to me in the end.

John L

I was afraid of that... you are just damn good!

...and here I am heading off to the grocery store ripping color schemes off the labels.