• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SP-540 stops in the middle of the cutting job/pinch roller errors

stillhasdust

I have a SP-540 that will print out 20 decals and when it is time to cut the decals it will cut 2 or 3 of them and stop. The screen will just continue to say "Now Processing" and it doesn't advance. This problem is intermittent. I have ran the same .eps file on my friends roland setup and it had no problem. I have ran all the updates I can and nothing has changed.

I also get several pinch roller errors and I always have the pinch rollers in the correct place. I usually have anywhere from 4-5 errors a day. I cleaned the linear encoder strip and have also cleaned the sensor on the head carriage.

I do not know if these two problems go hand in hand but if anybody has any suggestions please help me out. Thanks in advance.

:signs101::U Rock:

Riskok

I got this a few times.
In my case it was the material that was too heavy. Just roll it ore lift it then you should be fine.
And I think one time because one of the wheels right on the edge so I hade to set them up again.

BR Patrik the Swede

petepaz

that would be my guess also a material issue
got misaligned or pulled too hard
after that i am stumpted but doesn't take much

InkjetAuction

Cut Carriage Cable

What you are experiencing is a common issue to older SP-models (all SPs will eventually have this problem). You have a small break in your cut carriage cable. You'll have to replace the cable and should also replace the two plastic pieces that sandwich the cable. Roland also has a teflon tape retrofit, to help any "cable bunching" which can lead to premature failure of the ribbon cable.

Take care of this issue ASAP, and it will eventually lead to you not being able to use the machine at all.

Parts are less than 50 bucks. Takes a technician less than an hour to complete.

~E

threeputt

Inkjet, that's interesting.

My SP is probably 30 months old. Would the cable also be responsible for the machine to stop not mid-cut, but mid-print? With the display still saying "now processing"? That's happened a few times recently.

Don't forget to clean the plastic cable guides that sandwich the flat cable - if these have ink and dirt they become sticky and you will be replacing the cable again soon. Rememeber to use alcohol ONLY to clean these before you start AND watch the encoder strip so you don't accidentally get it dirty/damaged.

stillhasdust

I have installed the pinch roller cable, the flex cable, and 2 new guides.

The pinch roller error problem has gone away

The "now processing" problem is still there when the decals are being cut.

After installing both cables the printer cut the decals out fine. Then on the second shot at cutting it cut on 3 out of 10 decals. Lastly on the 3rd shot it didnt even cut out 1 decal. I changed the IP address and the printer went threw and cut the decals fine then it stopped working again. I believe I have some form of a connection problem. I have all the updated firmware and the latest versaworks.

Anybody have any ideas??

stillhasdust

just to complete this thread the trouble was in my network card on my computer. I switched my card and I havn't had a problem since