• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SP 540V heads not moving?

BROWNDOG

was printing fine... shortly after sending the print, we heard a pop, sounded like a fuse, and smelled a little burnt smell, kinda like the brushes in a drill going bad smell. then we got motor error,0400 and 0100
the tech today replaced the motor but still cant figure it out, after 3 hours and hundreds later,
tells me i'm going to have to throw it out or drive it 2.5 hours to drop it off where they have more parts and can try chasing electrical gremlins, circuit boards and who knows what else, it could cost around $2000. for a ten year old printer.,
i have no problem dropping the money on it but i'm not sensing any confidence in the tech
any suggestions.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I looked in the tech manual but didn't see those errors listed. Anyway, motor errors almost always tend not to be the motor believe it or not. If something smells burnt, try to locate the location of the smell. I would place my bet on the servo board. If you can locate the smell you should be able to find a burn mark or damaged component on the board. Usually with the motors it's a micro chip looking component that fries and stops the motors from working. Usually you can just solder a new on eon but sometimes it can be a deeper issue.

C5 Service&Repair

The errors are scan motor errors. 010 is an instant current overload and 040 is an extended current over load. So that means the scan motor is pulling more current than it should to try and move the carriage.
After the new motor is installed, will the carriage move at all on its own? Can you move the carriage easily by hand?
With the new motor, power on the machine and what happens?

BROWNDOG

He found a burnt "chip" on the board on the back of the machine, bottom left of board, it's fixed for now, although,my old sp300 is now incomplete. Is there something that I should check so it doesn't happen agsin, we put a new motor in as well.

mleg1972

Servo board. I bet the ic chip for the scan motor blew. When you remove the back cover, you will either have parts of the chip fall out, or you will notice a cracked ic chip. It's near the bottom of the servo board.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Motograffics

Its called a motor driver chip L6234D the bad motor will usually cause it to pop. The one next to it is for the feed motor.