• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SP300 Print Head Serious Problem Please Help :-(

njteaser

Hi All,

I have a big problem here and I need some help if possible. I will try and post the short story as to not ramble. We have a Roland
SP300 and started having a problem printing black. Called a local tech and after 3 visits and 3 weeks of screwing around with it he determined it was the fuses on the main board that were blown. Ok fine, he ordered and got new fuses and installed them, then after all that he said it was the main board and we needed a new one for $1500. We did some searching on the web and found a guy in NY that fixes the boards, we brought it to him and he tested it and so no, its not the board its the print head without a doubt. SO we buy one, I am pretty savvy so I decided to install the new pint head myself. I went through all the steps meticulously. Now its in and I have 2 issues. 1.) I cannot get into service mode, I did the whole R/D/L/R/U and so on thing but cannot get into that sucker, keeps saying service mode protected, so I have no yet calibrated this thing correctly. 2.) I did do a quick test print just to see whats up and I am getting what looks like a rubbing on the vinyl from the black, which is the head I just replaced. I dont know if its because of the calibration not being done yet or something else. Please we are already 3 weeks without printing, I know its getting late but if anyone can shed some light on this and help us out we would greatly appreciate it. Pic of black rubbing attached.

Thanks,

NJ

Attachments

• 2011-07-12 21.03.21.jpg
    2011-07-12 21.03.21.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 136

sfr table hockey

Don't have a SP300 but I am sure you will have to change the head rank in the service menu. There should have been a number on the print head. You will need that. To get into the service mode has been discussed here before and you may have to do a search on that.

It may be (down,right,left,up,right,down,left) then all three together (right, down,left) and power on. This is just reverse of the old Rolands.

If that is not it then do the search thing for that printer.

I don't think the head rank would cause that kind of mess but who knows and hope that is all it is.

njteaser

I am trying the combo now to see if i can get into service mode. I hope that's all it is too, its racking my brains!

Signs2u

I don't know the answer but I just wanted to say that I hope you are able to figure it out and I am sorry you have been down for 3 weeks. I hope it all works out and you can get back to business. Its hard when things don't want to work. Good luck, let us know if you get it fixed and hope someone on here can help you out.

-Joel

njteaser

Joel - Thank You.

Update, yes that combo did work, I am in service mode now (I do have the serial / numbers) now where do I go from here?

artbot

that's bad data. can be caused by a bad cable, loose cable, bad carriage board, or bad head. most often it's a data cable that isn't properly seated.

this is my printer doing almost the same with a loose black data cable. you can do a data swap on your printer to see what is going on (head vs/ boards). but confirm with an 300 owner that your cables are routed to the carriage board properly.

it sounds like your "tech" didn't know anything about diagnosing. sorry you are dealing with so much printer drama. i've been down for three weeks buying bad heads etc. grrr....

Attachments

• data ribbon.jpg
    data ribbon.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 100

nwbee

What was it doing originally that you needed to replace the head? Your new issue looks kind of like the problem I was having. If you have reseated all the ribbon cables, try swapping the cyan and black ribbon cables at the carriage board. That will tell you for sure if it is the head or its ribbon cable. If I remember correctly, the sp printers only have 2 heads so you really reaplaced 2 colors at the same time. Not 100% on the 2 head thing but I think I rememeber seeing that when I was deciding between vp and sp series.

J Hill Designs

yeah thats bad data not ink smear from the head rubbing on the media...reseat data cables and if that doesnt fix it data swap to see if it follows the line change or stays on black

njteaser

Ok all, I am getting somewhere but nothing is resolved. Here is the latest and I think I am getting closer to finding what the issue is. I am including 3 images, one of both data cables being swapped, another of what I printed through Versa Works and finally the end result of what came out. Keep in mind that the data cables and now swapped as you guys recommended. If you look at the image of what should have printed via VW and then what actually came out, its INSANE! Forget the colors being correct, again because the data cables are swapped, but magenta squares are printing when they shouldn't be, the second color which should be blue (but is now yellow because the data cable swap) is no where in line with the black on the print as indicated in the VW screen shot. So YES, it is definitely a DATA issue for sure, but now I am really stumped, I got a new print head, a verified good mother board and these are the results. I am eagerly waiting a reply from someone here! I keep getting d****d around by local non knowledgeable tech guys and I am going on a month with backed up work. Any attention to the matter is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 2011-07-13 14.25.11.jpg
    2011-07-13 14.25.11.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 91
  • 2011-07-13 14.25.29(1).jpg
    2011-07-13 14.25.29(1).jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 93
  • 2011-07-13 14.25.52.jpg
    2011-07-13 14.25.52.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

artbot

sorry. i read the paragraph. maybe i stayed up too late working. the colors will print in the wrong positions because the printer believes the heads are in their original positions. the colors are inverted as well. that's supposed to happen. the reason for the data swap is to see if the issue migrates to the new head (data problem) or stays at the head (head problem). sorry if this was redundant.

sfr table hockey

sorry. i read the paragraph. maybe i stayed up too late working. the colors will print in the wrong positions because the printer believes the heads are in their original positions. the colors are inverted as well. that's supposed to happen. the reason for the data swap is to see if the issue migrates to the new head (data problem) or stays at the head (head problem). sorry if this was redundant.

I may be out of place to say this but I don't think the OP was talking about you and your help. I think he meant the tech guys in his town. I'm sure he is thankfull for your help. Thats just the way I read it. I think all of us on this forum know that you have some great input on this type of stuff.

Just my 2 1/2 cents

njteaser

I know they will print the wrong colors because the data cables are swapped, that exactly what I explained. And yes, the screwed up printing issue did migrate the the yellow - red- print head when I swapped the cables. So again, yes I know its a data issue, with all the information you guys have posted and the testing I did, its looking like its either the data board, data cables or both. Before I go spend another penny on parts that wont resolve this issue, I am hoping that someone here will tell me that I am right in my thoughts on this and to go buy a data board and a set of 4 cables.

njteaser

Hockey - Wow I didn't even catch that, yes I am very grateful and no way I was directing that to him. I am here to get help, that was directed towards the 2 idiot techs who came here and have been yanking my chain and got nothing fixed... Back to the issue, what do you guys think?

sfr table hockey

I am guessing on this but... if you just swaped the cable you would not have totaly removed it and reset it from both ends. Possibly the other end of the ribbon cable is not set propper and you could try to take the other end off if you have not done so. Remember to unplug and hit the power key a few times to discharge the printer.... and this again an Artbot tip which we are thankfull for.

artbot

no... ! i didn't think he was referring to me or the board. i am just swamped and my IQ isn't to good with the reading comprehension.

as far as the cables being bad. you can do a cable swap too. completely take out both pairs of cables and reseat them in the other ports (laber them 1234. they can get mixed up if you lay them on a table). because during a data swap, the data and the cable are one in the same. as far as buying a new board. take it out and ship it off to macmedia. they will put in on the bench and see if it's good or bad. only $200 to rebuild. otherwise you could be throwing money at the printer. they work fast too. over night it and they get back with a result quick. very honest company.

nwbee

I think it is similar to the issue I was having. Its not the print head or the print head cables because you switched them at the carriage board. The issue on my printer was actually the cables from the main board to the carriage board. My printer has 3. It looks like you printer has 2. If they are the same, try swaping them(MAKE SURE YOU SWAP ON BOTH ENDS NOT JUST ONE END LIKE THE HEADS). Just a warning, It is a pain on the VP540 because you have to take some of the top of the machine apart and they are a pain to handle. That being said, it is a free solution that you can try before replacing parts. In my case, that turned out to be the issue. Switch the ribbon cables from the head back now that you know they are fine. Good Luck.

njteaser

The issue on my printer was actually the cables from the main board to the carriage board.

That was it! One of the 2 cables going from the carriage board going to the main board had a bent pin! Holy Shiz! The tech we had here must have mistakenly bent the little metal prongy thing on the end of the ribbon cable, we saw it when we opened up the main board housing and reseated the cables. Its is printing good now but definitely needs to be calibrated correctly. Shall I go as far as someone respond and tell me exactly how to calibrate this sucker, then we are good to go...

P.S. Thanks to all the help and suggestions you guys here are fantastic and I am a member for life.

sfr table hockey

Good to hear....

You may want to spen a few bucks and sign up for the prem. membership for a month and down load the service manual. It would be well worth the $$ and then you can surf those sections for some added info.

Also easier than getting it from a site you may not be able to trust.