• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SP540V Static Hair On Blue Only...?

player

I had a Roland shop come out and change my Black/Blue DX4 printhead about 10 months ago. About 4-5 months ago I noticed the blue only gives me static-y fuzz around the image when I print. I have printed maybe 3 rolls total since the change, and my machine has very very low hours on it.

Is the head toast or is it potentially something else?

Kylend Butler

I had a Roland shop come out and change my Black/Blue DX4 printhead about 10 months ago. About 4-5 months ago I noticed the blue only gives me static-y fuzz around the image when I print. I have printed maybe 3 rolls total since the change, and my machine has very very low hours on it.

Is the head toast or is it potentially something else?

Is it not printing blue at all? You have any pictures? Sometimes a bad cap or a bad damper holder can cause this. I own a few rolands and do all the work on them myself. You can also check the flow of the Cyan and make sure you can draw the ink easily to the damper. If you are using the same ink and didn't mix inks I am sure it is more then likely something simple. Mixing ink is always a bad thing even if they tell you its a exact match always do a full cleaning before trying after market inks.

player

Thanks for replying. The blue prints, no blocked or even deflected nozzles.

Just does the static looking effect outside the print. I printed a bunch of signs with black 2" text and the letters have a what looks like blue hair. It is not horribly noticeable, but looks bad to me. I will get a pic later.

If it is a bad cap why does the back not do it as well?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I would start by checking the print head cables. Make sure they are seated properly in the terminal and that there is no ink or debris on them. Make sure the chrome piece of metal surrounding the bottom of the print head is as clean as possible. Other than that it could be the head failing. Are you using OEM inks? Is the machine on a carpet?

player

I would start by checking the print head cables. Make sure they are seated properly in the terminal and that there is no ink or debris on them. Make sure the chrome piece of metal surrounding the bottom of the print head is as clean as possible. Other than that it could be the head failing. Are you using OEM inks? Is the machine on a carpet?

I have only used Roland ink. It is on a carpet, but has been there since I bought the printer 7 years ago. I keep the heads very clean. I will check the cables later and look for ink around the dampers on the top.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Upload some pictures. If everything is clean and the cables are good, it could be alignment issues or the head is just fried. It is easier to tell with pictures.

player

SP540V Blue 1.jpg

This is what I am talking about. The colour is not as noticeable as I have bumped it up in PS so it is more visible.

The printer is clean clean clean.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
If your test print looks good with no deflecting nozzles, you definitely have an electronic issue with the head, cables or one of the boards deeper in the machine. It also looks like your bi-directional alignment is off.

You could so a cable swap to isolate if it is the head or something behind the heads like cables or boards. With the machine off and unplugged hit the power button to discharge an residual power. Unplug the head cables from just the heads and cross them over so that the black and cyan head is getting the signal for the yellow and magenta head. Run the same print you uploaded. The colors will be off completely but you should still be able to see if the cyan is misfiring. If the cyan still misfires, the head is probably fried. If the cyan does not misfire or another color starts to, something else is wrong deeper in the machine.

player

OK I will try swapping cables later...

My humidity is probably in the low 30's, but it is the same or better than it has been in all the years I have owned the printer.

It is hazing all around the whole image or letter, but seems to be more to the left than right.

Remember it is not as visible or as bad as it looks in the photo, but I really pumped up the colour so it would be more visible.

phototec

If your test print looks good with no deflecting nozzles, you definitely have an electronic issue with the head, cables or one of the boards deeper in the machine. It also looks like your bi-directional alignment is off.

You could so a cable swap to isolate if it is the head or something behind the heads like cables or boards. With the machine off and unplugged hit the power button to discharge an residual power. Unplug the head cables from just the heads and cross them over so that the black and cyan head is getting the signal for the yellow and magenta head. Run the same print you uploaded. The colors will be off completely but you should still be able to see if the cyan is misfiring. If the cyan still misfires, the head is probably fried. If the cyan does not misfire or another color starts to, something else is wrong deeper in the machine.

:goodpost:

That is a very EASY way to check for a bad print head, if your CYAN head prints without the fuzz, after you swap the cables, then you know the head is NOT the problem.

Also, this time of year with dry air and cold temps, carpet can generate LOTS of STATIC, you should do all you can to prevent any static build-up on your printer and media.

[video=youtube;AU-h69h6GjU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU-h69h6GjU[/video]

:smile:

player

When I swapped the blue cable and the black cable when I turned on the printer it said "temperature too low".

I turned it off, and put the cables back on and it works (the same as before) again.

player

Great... Now the black and blue don't print at all!

I did turn it off, unplugged the power, waited 2-5 minutes, and hit the power button to drain the power...

#$%@#$%@#$% help!

phototec

When I swapped the blue cable and the black cable when I turned on the printer it said "temperature too low".

I turned it off, and put the cables back on and it works (the same as before) again.

That's because it is TO COLD in Canada (6° F there?), your Roland SP540V printer with the "POWER ON", operating temperature specification is 59° to 90° F (68° or more recommended), 30 to 80% humidity.
And with the "POWER OFF" operating temperature is 41° to 104° F (20 to 80% humidity).

So, if you room temperature is lower than 59°, you printer is telling you IT'S to COLD!

Your wood burning fireplace may NOT be heating the area enough where printer is located, get a small electric heater and keep it in the room near the printer and keep the printer area in the 68° F range.

Good luck (it's 70° here now)....:smile:

techsign33

I did turn it off, unplugged the power, waited 2-5 minutes, and hit the power button to drain the power...

#$%@#$%@#$% help!

Test the fuse F3 on the mainboard. If the fuse is bad then no signal is being sent to the head, chances are the head has a short and is blowing the fuse.

Fuse can be purchased here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Main-Board-...873?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5637592669

Best to get a few to have spares....

:thumb:

I checked the service manual the
F2 for B&C
F3 for M&Y .

phototec

#$%@#$%@#$% help!

NOTE: You should ALWAYS wear a static strap and ground yourself when working on sensitive electronics, especially when standing on CARPET which generates static electricity just walking on it when the humidity and temperature are conducive to it's generation (cold and dry).

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231049654979?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

phototec

I found the bad fuse...

Thanks to Solventinkjet.com...

They are 1.6a 125v Quick blow fuses.

There is another option for replacing the fuse with the same solder type surface mount fuse.

Don't install the same fuse but instead install a FUSE HOLDER, so you can replace the fuses as needed without having to use a soldering iron.

That way all you have to do is replace the fuse with the same VALUE, Attached is a PDF guide on how to change out the fuse and add a fuse holder, it's for the Mutoh printer, but you can do the same repair on you printer. The BEST part, if you ever have this happen again (and you will), it will make changing the fuse very easy. All you need to do is have a spare fuse of the SAME value as the one that blew on your board.

Attachments

• SP540Board.jpg
    SP540Board.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 200
  • Replacing Mutoh head Fuse.pdf
    905.9 KB · Views: 213