• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SP540V won't print black

Vinyldog

First noticed the problem about two years ago. Shortly after I had the carriage cable replaced actually. I've remedied the problem with head soaks, cleanings, pulling ink through with syringe and the usual maintenance type things, however it has grown progressively worse and now will print black for only a short time. Cyan prints fine as do the other colors. Since the problem started I have replaced the dampers twice and the carriage cable and guides again, cleaned the encoder strip regularly and flipped it.
Just completed using the cleaning cartridges and have not checked the results yet.
Nozzle check looks good. Only a few missing nodes on the black if it prints. More often the other three look fine and black is missing.

MachServTech

Here is what I do with issues like this. Methodically replace or check one part at a time.

1. Check cap for its ability to drain ink. Look for debris on cap.
2. Check pumps.
3. Replace Damper
4. Replace o-rings
5. Check for cracks in the print head manifold stalk. (can happen when dampers are replaced)

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Here is what I do with issues like this. Methodically replace or check one part at a time.

1. Check cap for its ability to drain ink. Look for debris on cap.
2. Check pumps.
3. Replace Damper
4. Replace o-rings
5. Check for cracks in the print head manifold stalk. (can happen when dampers are replaced)

+1...but
If only black is not printing...assuming the pump lines are split between the 4 caps...it's not the pump.
Prob not damper if already replaced.
I'd bet it's #5

Vinyldog

Thank you for that information. I will check all of those things. The SP540V has only two cap-tops as the black and blue share the same head. Could not see the manifold clearly as clear plastic cover has become yellowed. Would the leak be visible from top or bottom?
Still working the cleaning fluid out of the lines at this time.

phototec

Thank you for that information. I will check all of those things. The SP540V has only two cap-tops as the black and blue share the same head. Could not see the manifold clearly as clear plastic cover has become yellowed. Would the leak be visible from top or bottom?
Still working the cleaning fluid out of the lines at this time.

I can't help you any, however please let us (other SP-540V owners) know whatever you find out and how you get this fixed. :signs101:

Sign Works

I would replace captops, dampers, o-rings, wipers & scraper and if that didn't resolve the issue I'd replace the printhead.

I just replaced mine and it resolved all my black / cyan issues. SolventInkjet.com has the printhead for $795. The other parts I get from a Roland dealer, Midwest Sign Supply.

BTW, check ink lines from captops to the pump and also the one from the pump to the drain bottle as they become clogged, hard and brittle over time. (or at least mine were)

Vinyldog

O-rings is interesting. I have not replaced those. I really hope it's not a cracked board from some of the work because it did start having the problem right after the first carriage cable replacement in 2012.
I would like to replace the head and encoder strip soon even If they are not the problem.

Vinyldog

Update

I have completed the process with the cleaning cartridges and have printed a very good nozzle check and test print. I did not recover any nodes but there are only the usual three missing. The banner I am printing right now looks good as well.
However I am not celebrating as this as been going on for many months now. Almost everything I have done appears to fix it temporarily.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
My guess is the damper. If prints black well after the printer sets for a while and then the nozzles drop while printing, in my experience it is the damper. Especially if it gets even worse with a head cleaning. The fact that the cyan is on the same head and isn't dropping negates most things related to the capping station.

When the printer is printing the sediment at the bottom of the damper is agitated and sucked against the screen starving the head for ink. When you do a cleaning it seems to get worse because the high ink flow through the damper sucks even more sediment. When the printer sets for a while some of the particles fall off the screen allowing some ink to flow. During the next printing cycle the whole process starts over. I haven't experienced a cracked nipple or worn "o" ring but those both sound like possibilities as well. You might be able to diagnose that if you can block the flow of cyan while pulling ink through the black/cyan capping station.

phototec

My guess is the damper. If prints black well after the printer sets for a while and then the nozzles drop while printing, in my experience it is the damper. Especially if it gets even worse with a head cleaning. The fact that the cyan is on the same head and isn't dropping negates most things related to the capping station.

When the printer is printing the sediment at the bottom of the damper is agitated and sucked against the screen starving the head for ink. When you do a cleaning it seems to get worse because the high ink flow through the damper sucks even more sediment. When the printer sets for a while some of the particles fall off the screen allowing some ink to flow. During the next printing cycle the whole process starts over. I haven't experienced a cracked nipple or worn "o" ring but those both sound like possibilities as well. You might be able to diagnose that if you can block the flow of cyan while pulling ink through the black/cyan capping station.

:goodpost:

Wow, this is a very good post, I have never read or heard about this situation before. Good info to know!:thankyou:

I wish we had a special section called PRINT HEAD ISSUES, where we could have all the print head related issues listed like this issue and the suggested fix.

To the OP, please keep this going and if and when you get a permanent fix please share.

What a great site this is!!!!:signs101:

Vinyldog

I did replace the black / blue dampers back in November. And this is it's third set for this printer. I installed the first ones myself in April 2013, then they were replaced again by Roland tech when the problem returned one month later only it was blue dropping instead of Black.
Appears to be working fine now however I did notice rough edges on crop marks so possibly still a problem with high speed printing.

phototec

I did replace the black / blue dampers back in November. And this is it's third set for this printer. I installed the first ones myself in April 2013, then they were replaced again by Roland tech when the problem returned one month later only it was blue dropping instead of Black.
Appears to be working fine now however I did notice rough edges on crop marks so possibly still a problem with high speed printing.

Where did you purchase the dampers and what did you pay for them?

:thankyou:

Sign Works

Where did you purchase the dampers and what did you pay for them?

:thankyou:

Roland dampers ... $45.45 each ... (four dampers = $181.80)
Aftermarket dampers ... $3.50 each ... (four dampers = $14.00)

I don't know about anyone else but I only feel confident using Genuine Roland replacement parts. For me it's just not worth taking a chance, what about the rest of you?

Drip Dry

I'm not sure, but the last time I talked to my supplier, dampers were 25.00
I think they are genuine Roland

Vinyldog

I saved the old dampers in the plastic cases the new ones came in and they all have the Roland logo and pt# 6081181200. I did not make a note of the price. One clear plastic case is a different design than the other two.

Brendan

Dont hesitate to check the entire ink line from the cartridge to the damper.... Had a small pinhole/crack about the middle of the machine. Kind of a pain to replace but that was the problem. Of course no one had ever heard of such a thing. Im always the first for the cool stuff.

Vinyldog

there is a logic to a problem with the Black line considering cyan is working fine using the same head. Concerning leaks or holes in the lines and manifold, wouldn't ink be visibly leaking out of those places?
Other actions I'm considering: Replacement of the lithium battery and a Cap height check.
Printer is still working fine since head wash.

Last edited:

Vinyldog

To summarize. Using the cleaning cartridges seems to have brought the Black back for now. Or maybe it would have come back anyway. Hard to say at this time. Nozzle check and Test print looks good as does the bi-directional test.
One problem remaining is when printing solid dark colors there are light streaks running parallel to the feed direction, (perpendicular to the carriage travel), at 12 - 21 - 30 and 39 inches across the print whenusing bi-directional printing.