• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

spike measuring device

rjssigns

does this work for measuring trucks or just buildings?

If you're asking about the Sticky Yard you can use it wherever. I've found on vehicles I've been within half an inch or so on overall length. Haven't used it on a building yet, but would expect the same results.

Not much help I know...

petepaz

my bad, sorry. i meant the smart pro measuring device.
can it be used to take pics of vehicles and measure or just flat areas such as buildings?

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
A 16"x24" framing square is far better than the Sticky Yard and just as good and a whole hell of a lot cheaper than electronic devices. Just tape a framing square onto whatever it is you're measuring and take a picture of the subject including the framing square. Now you have an image with a rectangle of know size. Bring the image into whatever software you're using, place a rectangle around the framing square, map the image into that rectangle, resize the rectangle to 16"x24", and un-map the image. Now you have a full size image that's as close to being correct as you're likely to get.

I seldom, if ever, measure any reasonably flat surface anymore. Vehicles, windows, walls, whatever. I just use my trusty framing square. The result is always within a small fraction of an inch of actual size. Severely curved surfaces get a paper template but that's a bit different process.

bannertime

We just picked up the Stanley Smart Measure Pro tool. It works well enough to quote when you don't have a ladder, truck, or time to get the proper measurements. Especially handy when those customers tell you the sign is only 2ft x 5ft and it's actually 4ft x 12ft. For $70 it's a wonderful backup tool to have.

Starter

We just recently bought a Spike. It seems to work great. Good for those times when the customer decides to add something after the initial site visit....you have all the measurements without returning for a second visit for more measurements. Whichever you purchase it will be a great time/money saver.