• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Spitfire (water based ink)

Ahmed Samy Nagada

Dear all Mutoh experts, for some reasons I'm thinking of changing my Spitfire 65 from mild solvent to water based ink. Theoretically it's possible as it uses Epson DX4 print heads which is used in many water based printers. I appreciate your thoughts and advice.

Ahmed Samy Nagada

Why do you want to convert to water based inks?

Several reasons:
1- Hassle free operation
2- Easier maintenance
3- Cheaper and wider range of media
4- I don't need outdoor durability
5- Longer head life

Ahmed Samy Nagada

Hi Leon,

I have checked the link you have mentioned, it's a little bit expensive but I think it's worth the trial. Any way I still have long time to go before trying this ink, in case you try it in the near future please share your experience with us.
By the way, what's your reasons to switch from your current ink?

G-Artist

According to their sale lit. your machine will use 30-50% less ink then the current eco-solv you are using as the substrate won't absorb the ink (very much like UV inks) and as soon as it is laid down it is dry due to the temp of the heated substrate.

What they had at the Orlando show was sort of impressive but they were only printing on Tyvek and I'd like to see how it performs on vinyl.

I'd like to hear from folks who are trying the ink.

Ahmed Samy Nagada

I think there will be lots of problems printing on vinyl and other heat sensitive material, the vinyl may curl under heat and also may detach from the liner and cause head crashes. Me too would like to hear from folks who already tried this ink.

MachServTech

Ahmed, you should consider selling your solvent printer and purchasing a new HP, Canon or Epson aqueous machine. You can probably get good $$$ on your current printer which would easily purchase the aqueous machine NEW!

By the time you go through the hassle of doing the conversion and the possible issues associated with it the costs will add up. Also the print quality of the aqueous printers I mentioned is vastly superior to what you can achive by converting a solvent printer to aqueous.

rubo

SepaiX with no heat

Hi boys and girls, I converted two printers to print with SepiaX - Epson 7800 and a Mutoh RJ 900 - I installed the heat strip in my Epson, works like a charm, the Mutoh I couldn't wait to play with ( I turned it into a flatbed) , so I pushed "print" button - and guess what - it works! Why wouldn't it - it's still pigment waterbased ink, no reason not to. It is thicker than anything I've ever seen - the waist tank is covered with thick film of ink - I have no padding in it, so I can see what's there - no liquid whatsoever - but the heads firing fine. The heat makes a difference - the colors pop up, if I print the same file on Epson - one w heat, the other without - there is difference, but it's in the eye of beholder ;) - I still get paid for my work, so It's good enough. I don't print on vinyl or other conventional sign media - I print on aluminum, wood, stone, brass, glass etc...none of it is white, hence I don't have to struggle w PMS colors and other ugly stuff...will try printing on anything, and it usually works. I took the plates out that gave me another couple of millimeters of a gap, don't need the vacuum for heavy media. OK, enough rambling - back to work. I'm new here and I just want to say you guys are great bunch of people. Cheers!

Rubo