• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

sponsor signs for little league

slappy

I've been asked about doing sponsor signs for the little league. They are looking for 12 3x4 aluminum with various images of the sponsors info. Most based off business cards and the clients are only paying $125 for the sign for a year.
So I'm thinking that these are going to be multiple colors, with logo recreation and digital prints and really just not worth the time to even consider doing the project...

How do you guys handle these type of projects.?

Pat Whatley

Tell them up front what the signs are going to cost in cut vinyl and in full color. Cut vinyl lettering (no logos) is going to be more visible and more effective if these are signs for the outfield fence. Usually when they realize they're going to lose money going the full color route they quickly decide to just use the names.

No point in refusing to do the job, just price it the way it needs to be priced and let them decide what to do.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That doesn't add up.

I realize you're talking about a 3' x 4', but we do about 7 or 8 little leagues in our area. They all use 4' x 8's from MDO to aluminum to banners. Now, our little league's pricing structure is higher, but it still has the same basic concept.

All sponsors pay a premium up front to the little league which usually pays for the sign and a little extra for the little league to pocket. The following year... and the following years, the sign should only cost the sponsor maybe like a 1/3 of the original cost. We tell them to promise 5 years if the sponsor doesn't change the layout. If there's a phone number change or website address added, we'll do that for very little out of pocket, but stick to our guns.

You're correct, there will be many logos and lotsa art time that you must consider. Having a digital printer is about the only way to compete these days, because the files you get are sometimes written on a napkins with colors written in the margin, while others might be zipped and you'll have one huge-a$$ file to work with. However, in the last ten years or so.... it's next to impossible to get vector files at this level of sports.

Align yourself with someone with a printer and tell them you'll be giving them a dozen 3' x 4' prints all at once.... what will they charge you ?? All you have to do is cut the aluminum down and apply them.

skyhigh

the clients are only paying $125 for the sign for a year.

They are probably forgetting to tell you, its a 3 year contract with the sponsors (thats how they do it here). I tell the LL how much for the signs, then they double it. Last year I did 4x8 - 14 oz banners with webbing & grommets (and full color logo's) for $155 each. They sold them for $350 for 2 years

Sounds like they are basically telling you how much you can charge.....plus they want to make money off this also.

I'd do 3x4 banners (no logo's) and use some zip ties.

FatCat

Wait, are you saying the league is selling these spots to the sponsors for $125 or the league is currently paying $125 for each sign?

petepaz

we have done this before, usually just for the athletic assoc that i am involved with but i will give them a pricing structure before they get the sponsers then they set up what they want for a donation to cover the sign and money for the sport
and like mentioned above i will let them know what is available what is the best/most affordable option and we go from there.
we have also offered the sponser both options and let them know the cost usually they go with just cut vinyl letters but you get a few who spent the extra to get there digital print logo on the sign and then the athletic assoc will offer a reduced rate for future years (as long as there are no changes) also mentioned above

James Chrimes

You need to figure out what your cost are and how much mark up you need and how much time will be involved and give them a price. Leave the decision in there park and leave the home run to you.

GoodPeopleFlags

They should have gotten prices before deciding how much to charge the sponsors. So don't let them tell you how much they will pay.

Another word of advice is do not send them proofs. You will end up spending a ton of time with the sponsors, back and forth over the layouts, and it will drive you crazy. I personally don't like phone numbers on these signs because I've never seen someone in the stands write one down. But alot of people disagree with me on that. Tell them to keep the info down to the basics or they'll start trying to list every service they provide, street address (with zip code), phone number, fax number, cell number, email address... it's just too much, espcially from a distance.

Billct2

I have the same question, are they paying $125 for the sign or is that what the sponsor pays them for the season? If it's the latter they're not going to make any money.
I also recommend coro, it's easier on little bodies running into it 9especially the edge).

ismoreno

I do this as well, the price that teams charge sponsors is $500.00 a year for a 4x8 digital print banner.

Price it out to avoid lost and frustration for yourself, let them know that you are giving them a great year and some how figure out a clever way to have you company up there for free.

J

john1

Every year i deal with a local race track who has 2x8' aluminum signs made for about 3 sponsors and 2 per sponsor.

I charge $370 for a pair and they are aluminum 1 sided with a basic layout and i print it on Concept 203 since it's only going to be outdoors for less than a year. This pricing includes a basic layout and many of these customers don't have anything currently for a design so it's generally 1 small meeting and things are done on the design end.

I would like to get much more for these jobs but this keeps me involved with this each year and they generally give me 3 sponsors to work with at a time (6 signs total). My biggest customer got me in the door so i am very grateful to keep them happy.

$125 is a very low budget for this even doing it on coroplast (no no) due to the sizing. I would see if they can do 2x8' that way you can get a pair of signs out of 1 sheet or you could do 2.5x8' and order a 5x8' sheet if your supplier carries that and get 4 blanks out of a sheet.

slappy

on the letter we got for the sponsorship, it says

OPTION#1 Field Sponsor - $125 Initial Year; $100 Subsequent years
Sign on the field
Recognition on the website

OPTION#2 Monetary Donation
money used for repairs and maintain the fields, equipment, insurance... etc.

FatCat

on the letter we got for the sponsorship, it says

OPTION#1 Field Sponsor - $125 Initial Year; $100 Subsequent years
Sign on the field
Recognition on the website

OPTION#2 Monetary Donation
money used for repairs and maintain the fields, equipment, insurance... etc.

Their pricing structure is totally flawed - or they initially got some lowballer to quote them prices who doesn't know squat. My cost to make their aluminum sign would be higher than the $125, plus what happens when the sponsor doesn't re-up the next year? Not to mention the PITA it will be dealing with all the low-res crap they will send you for "artwork" for these signs. I'd offer to do them on coro, but aluminum ain't happening.

*FWIW - My local youth league (baseball, T-ball and softball) charges $300 for a 3x5 banner and $400 for a 4x6 banner. They sell dozens every year...

OldPaint

i do LL signs for baseball & football. been doing the park across the street for the last 7-8 years.
NO 1. doing signs for these parks are not big money for the sign shop!!!!
NO 2. what do you do for your community?
NO 3. givin a little back, dont hurt.
NO 4. since i do all the signs, most of the time i have to speak to those who want signs done. this in turn gives me a chance to speak to new prospective clients.......that i would have never been able to. and more often then not, they call me when they need something else done.
and in the end i do make money.
in the fall when things are slow, iam doing signs for the football on the same field.
i do 32" x 48" 4 mm coro signs with 4 #2 grommets in each corner. i get 3 signs per sheet of coro. they only put them up in season. they store em in the off season.
in fact i got my 1st 2 to do today.

Air Art Girl

I've done 20 3'x6' banners for the local high school so far this year with more to come. Been working closely with one point person on the fund raising team. They sell a sponsorship to a business for 1 or 2 years. The cost of the sponsorship includes the banner which was quoted prior to them selling sponsorships.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
I sometimes like this type of work, normally it's all art work recreation, and a little cut vinyl. Most of the signs don't need full color, and when they do it's only on the logo. Like what gino said ... contact a guy with a printer if you don't have one to outsource out all the full color stuff and just pump out the graphics otherwise. I know for the money that they are probably bringing in ... aluminum is probably overkill and 10 times the cost of coroplast, price for both aluminum and the thicker coroplast. Inform them that the coroplast will last a whole season and not kill their pocket book and it should reflect in the price.

MikesSigns

I do L.L., girls, and mens Softball league in area. I charge $120-$140 per 40" x 48" aluminum lettered or printed. They charge the Sponsor $300 first year, and $200 following years if they want to repeat. There is always turnover. I don't get rich on it but the sponsors know who made the sign and I do get a lot of sign/vehicle work from it. Make sure your business sign is out there too amongst them. Signs proudly made by.... or Please support these local businesses who support our programs and put your info on the bottom of sign. If you do community work and support the kids programs, it will all pay off in the end. My best advertising has been word of mouth. HAVE FUN WITH IT.

Mike