Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spots in solid print

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by Marshal, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Marshal

Marshal Member

Mar 29, 2017
    Minnesota
    With my Epson S80 on ij180mc, I constantly have issues when printing solid, darker colors where I get little splotches all over the print. It's almost exclusively happening on the ij180, and it's happened on multiple rolls. No matter how well I clean it, or blow it off with an anti-static gun, I get the splotches. I've tried lowering the heat, printing with less passes, etc. Humidity doesn't seem to affect it, it happens whether it's 60% or 30% in here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS: Don't mind the banding, I fixed that!

Tags:
  2. petepaz

petepaz Major Contributor

Feb 14, 2007
    NJ/NY/PA
    looks like the dust/dirt is winning the fight. to me looks like foreign objects are getting on the material in the print area, not sure how but that's what it looks like.
    do you have another printer you can test the material on? maybe there is dust or lint in the printer that is getting on the material after it passes your static guard and blowing techniques ? maybe remove covers or panels and vacuum inside

3. Andy D

Andy D Very Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    If your ink limits are too high the ink will pool up and "fish eye" around any irregularities in the vinyl.
    I can't tell from your picture, can you get a close up?

4. Andy D

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    double post

5. Marshal

Marshal Member

Mar 29, 2017
    Minnesota
    I bet that's it. It seems like if it was dust it would happen everywhere, not just where certain colors are, and on multiple materials. I'm just using the stock ij180 profile downloaded from epson. I'll have to try making my own, although I didn't have any luck with that the last time I tried.

6. Andy D

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Yeah, obviously some colors require much more ink, so as you say, it will happen more often in dark colors. You can clone the profile you're using now and adjust just the ink limits.
    It's much easier than creating a new profile.