• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Spray painting the edge of routed ACM before applying vinyl?

Andy D

This will sound like a noobish question, but I have always worked at places that have
a paint department.

I am doing a routed logo for a meeting room, they wanted it out of 6mm ACM for some reason.
I would like to spray paint the edges before applying the vinyl & would like to have some paint
around the edge of the face, in case of vinyl shrinkage or if when I'm trimming the vinyl I don't have
to worry about white showing.

What's your experience with applying vinyl to a spray painted surface?
How long should it cure?

sardocs

Krylon Fusion works well for this. We've done it many times. If you are spraying an inch or two onto the face it needs a light scuff with a scotchbrite pad.

sardocs

Overnight should be good, The solvents in Krylon are pretty "hot" so they evaporate pretty quick. I don't use a primer. A test piece is always the safest way to proceed.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
If you mask the graphic before you install it you can paint after installation and then peel the mask. When you do it this way you can trim against the ACM and don't have to worry about scraping the paint.

Typically signs like this aren't inexpensive and it's worth it to use a cast vinyl and lam. If the vinyl and or lam shrink over time it will create a bad impression.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
P.S

The difference between the cost of cast vs. quality calendared vinyl is minor, especially compared to your labor or your reputation.