• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Starcraft Boat | Re-Vinyling

daenterpri

I have a customer that wants me to redo the green vinyl band on their boat. I've attached a picture. How would I go about re-creating something like this? How would I calculate for curve and all that accurately?

Thanks for your help!

Andy

Attachments

• starcraft.jpg
    starcraft.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 111

visual800

I just taped a straight line on the boat and laid the vinyl on top it was still basically a straight line. Your boat appears to have same qualities and I would assume it would be no problem. Its hard to tell on boats but man they sure do have 1 hell of an angle on them

Attachments

• IMG_0704.jpg
    IMG_0704.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0707.jpg
    IMG_0707.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 152

megacab

if the old stripe is vinyl, i would remove it and use knifeless tape or wrap cut for the new one to get it exactly the same size as the old one. the old vinyl coming off should leave a nice ghost line that should be easy to follow. i know this doesn't answer the "how to" question of figuring out the curves on it. but it offers a simple solution to your problem. IMHO, of course.

daenterpri

Wow, this was very helpful! Would using vinyl with an air egress such as 3M's IJ180C be good for an application like this? The water should affect it, right?

jkdbjj

I also know many who take trace paper, place it on the boar, draw what they need, take a photo of the trace and put it into illy. That way they have the curve accounted for everytime.

signswi

Damn I was hoping to see a boat wrapped in Starcraft (the video game) graphics. Forgot it's also the manufacturer name of those fishing boats.

So disappointed.

daenterpri

How would you guys go about removing the old vinyl from the boat? It feels like some sort of sealer is over the bolted areas with vinyl towards the rear. Any idea on how to get past that?