• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Starter Vinyl Plotter

signsvisual

I am in the market for a 30" plotter. Looking at the Graphtec 8600 series. Can anyone recommend or review? Also, how easy is setup? Do I need to hire a tech to come and do the setup? Or is just a matter of putting the stand underneath the cutter and plugging in?

Lauren

We have a 60" Graphtec 8600. I haven't had a different brand for a plotter, but I do like the Graphtec. I don't think it's necessary to have a tech come in for set up, but that is coming from someone who has set up equipment a few times before. It's not exactly plug and play because you need to download the drivers and the cutting software from their website. One great thing about Graphtec is their customer support, which I can't say about all of my vendors. They almost always answer the phone and are extremely knowledgeable, so during your set up if you don't have a tech you could call in and get help.

OldPaint

is this another..............i never have made a sign..........worked at a sign shop..........but watched the video on you tube............of how to start a sign shop????????????????????????????
LETS GET SOME ANSWERS to other questions.............BEFORE YOU BUY A PLOTTER...ok????
1. and what do you plan on using to DESIGN/ CREATE work for the plotter????
2. this would help you decide which plotter would be a good "starter" for you.
3. what computer are you using?
4. what OS?
5.do you know what a VECTOR IS??????
6. YOU MAY BE BETTER OFF JUST GETTING A CRICKET)))))

signsvisual

We have a 60" Graphtec 8600. I haven't had a different brand for a plotter, but I do like the Graphtec. I don't think it's necessary to have a tech come in for set up, but that is coming from someone who has set up equipment a few times before. It's not exactly plug and play because you need to download the drivers and the cutting software from their website. One great thing about Graphtec is their customer support, which I can't say about all of my vendors. They almost always answer the phone and are extremely knowledgeable, so during your set up if you don't have a tech you could call in and get help.

Great thanks. I broker most of my vinyl work out right now, but I am familiar with the basic operation etc. and am versed in graphic design. Which is a good place to get the cutter from? signwarehouse? grimco? or any other dealers?

MikePro

why not spend the extra $$$ and get a 48"+ plotter?

Mimaki/Graphtec will last you at least a decade+ and why limit yourself to 30" when there are so many vinyl options out there only available in 48-60"?
you can always run smaller size rolls on a larger machine but not the other way around.

the next-to-nothing uptick in your initial investment is immediately dwarfed by the added versatility (or re-sellability) and puts you that much further ahead of those "artists" producing decals from their CriCuts.