• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Starting out

carneage

thank you all for your time and response it has been informative... i think that mosh may have been taking the piss but hey that is the way he feels, i admit that the whole approach is the way to do things, and yes sticker dude i have a cheap cutter, those two things are not a problem with my customers i was just hoping that i could find out if there was an industry standard that i can price to or if it was pure discretion on my behalf so thanks for making that one clear.
thanks all
carneage

Si Allen

Nick ... unless you are doing this just as a hobby ... forget cost per meter!

Instead add the cost per month of your rent, electric, gas, water, rubbish removal and any other monthly cost and multiply by 12 for an annual coat. to that add your insurance, equipment cost/lease, your salary, and office supplies, then muliply by at least 10% for savings.

Take that number and divide by 2000 ... and that is your Hourly Rate. Remember that number.

Now when figuring cost, estimate the time required, times that number plus materials cost (plus a material markup).

If it is a rush order, or t5he customer is a pain in the arse, be sure to add a surcharge.If the customer complains about your price ... show him out the door! No sense working for no profit!

Jon Aston

Small? Doubtful, merely corollary to the inarguable proposition that quiet competence trumps motivational bullshit. Every time.

That being the case it follows as the night unto the day that time is better spent developing actual competence rather than sharpening abstract rhetorical tools.

Bob. Your vocabulary is brilliant. But it sounds like you need a big hug. Too bad you don't live closer.

It's amusing to me that people (yourself, one recently banned... and perhaps others) seem to have this notion that I am here to motivate people. I'm not.

As far as I'm concerned, trying to motive people is a waste of time. People are either motivated to get more from their business, or they aren't (either is fine) - and either know how to get more from their business, or they don't. I'm here to help people who are already motivated get more from their business.

Look, if I wanted to, I could start a sign business today, from my home, with nothing more than my (albeit limited) cunning and the "Sharpie" marker we keep in the junk drawer in the kitchen. Heck, maybe I will.

To promote my new business, I'm going to use my trusty Sharpie to write "Sharpie Signs & Graphics" and my phone number on my car. By "write", I mean "print", because I have the penmanship of a 10 year old. Don't worry: I'll make the message big, bold, and legible. Being a marketing guy and all, I'm also going to make sure that there's an offer and call to action on my vehicle graphics: "Signs & Graphics FREE tomorrow! Call today!" (the exclamation points are meant to be motivational). For good measure, I'll also use my Sharpie to design some handbills and staple them to telephone posts around town - just to make sure that nobody misses my campaign.

If I open up shop next door to you, put up one of my famous Sharpie signs, and launch my campaign... how much of a competitive threat will I be to your business? If all (commercial) customers really want is a sign, and I offer the same convenience, then clearly I am their man. My pricing is unbeatable. So how many of your customers do you think I will steal?

I know you're feeling argumentative, Bob, but honestly if all you offer is a sign and a price - why don't your customers go elsewhere? Even without Sharpie Signs & Graphics in town, they can buy a sign anywhere, for less money than you charge. Signs are your core product, but not your whole product. There's nothing "abstract" or "rhetorical" about it.

sdimmick

1-1/2 into the biz, my area is loaded with off the wall vinyl sign guys (that includes me)...I get alot of small stuff and have been getting some larger sign jobs lately. I have a friend that does it too, he mentioned to me about figuring by the sq. inch. Which, OLDPAINT mentioned he works for no less than $5 per sq. ft. I have been doing a easy equation that takes the sq. inches and mult. by .03...that gives me what i should charge for the vinyl alone. I have no clue where he came up with it, but it has been working fine for me.

Now, i sometimes use that number as a guide and tack on more because of the size of the job. But if you take 12"x12"x.03, thats $4.32, pretty close to OLDPAINT's $5. That's 30%, just make sure it's profitable for what you would pay per sq. ft. from your supplier. That of course, doesnt include your labor, substrate, etc...and again, my shop is in a town of 100 people, my closest city is prob. 30 miles away with 8,000 people, yes, it's considered a city, lol.

Last edited:

MikePro

Nick ... unless you are doing this just as a hobby ... forget cost per meter!

Instead add the cost per month of your rent, electric, gas, water, rubbish removal and any other monthly cost and multiply by 12 for an annual coat. to that add your insurance, equipment cost/lease, your salary, and office supplies, then muliply by at least 10% for savings.

Take that number and divide by 2000 ... and that is your Hourly Rate. Remember that number.

Now when figuring cost, estimate the time required, times that number plus materials cost (plus a material markup).

If it is a rush order, or t5he customer is a pain in the arse, be sure to add a surcharge.If the customer complains about your price ... show him out the door! No sense working for no profit!
+1 to this... always remember to make a decent profit, since I hope you'd like to warranty your own product/install. Try to undercut to the death and you'll find it hard to pay the bills when something bad happens.
If you're going to cut corners on pricing, at all, take it out of the design element... make customers give you the proper designs/layouts on the front end to save them some $$$.

carneage

mike that was the point i was trying find out, i didnt want to come in and under cut anyone i just was hoping to find out if there was a standard that people in the industry use and if so what is it!! i understand that i need to work out my costs and all that guff.. the cost of the design side i have covered that is a no brainer as i do that already for the digital print stuff i do, but the cost of the vinyl cut decal is the one i need to know so i dont piss people off and create this he can do it cheaper than me why would i go to him attitude, i know in the auto industry there is a rough standard of pricing for labour and for mark up on parts i thought that this industry might be similar
thanks

PGSigns

One thing you also need to think about is what is going to be cut out of the square foot of vinyl. If it is 10 inch tall letters it will go real quick and you are set. If they want a sheet of 3/8 inch tall letters it is going to take much longer. So I use a method of square foot price for the material to be used and then add the time for design, setup, cut, weed, tape and bill to the material cost and that is how I come up with a cost for the customer. The material may be the smallest part of the cost of the job.
Jimmy