• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Static Cling Outdoors?

LoGl

Hi All,

I haven't run into this yet, and wondered if you can tell me your experience. I have to print a Static Cling, rather large (4'x6') and it needs to go on the outside of the clients windows. I say it has to, because the inside of glass is tinted and we are covering over a logo for this temporary promotion. Will static cling hold up and more importantly, hold on, to the window if the glass is cold (we are getting colder weather as we speak!). There is an awning directly over the window but it does not completely protect the glass. Thoughts? And thank you as always! ~L

CS-SignSupply-TT

As long as you clean the glass thoroughly without using a cleaner that will leave a residue, the outside application should work okay. Since you are in MA and the winter weather is coming, how long does the customer expect the cling to be up? Is there a chance the salt used for de-icer could get to the cling? I cannot decide which would be MORE durable: flatbed UV curable ink or solvent

Zul

Try an untra-removable or changeable vinyl instead. Stronger bond and still comes off clean on glass. When you get your oil change done, the reminder sticker placed on the corner that comes clean off, that's an ultra-removable. May even be cheaper than SC.

CS-SignSupply-TT

Removable vs. static cling

Try an untra-removable or changeable vinyl instead. Stronger bond and still comes off clean on glass. When you get your oil change done, the reminder sticker placed on the corner that comes clean off, that's an ultra-removable. May even be cheaper than SC.

+1 Still need to clean the window, but removable adhesive, optically clear is the best solution

petepaz

i would go with removable vinyl also. we did some clings approx 30" x 10ft and they where on the inside of the window in the mall in an empty store so the heat wasn't on and with the temp changes at night it started coming off and eventually fell (it was around nov. so it was getting cold at night)

signswi

We haven't had a problem with it but obviously YMMV. Longest term we've done for outdoor clings during winter was only ~3 months though.

LoGl

Great info everyone. Thank you for your input! The next option was to do something more permanent but the customer is hoping to reuse these next year. It is a 3 week promotion and then they are down. I will do these on white cling. I print solvent so that is what I would go with. I would assume removable would not be reuseable, correct?