• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

static cling vinyl no print nice...how come?

gabagoo

I know I have printed on static cling vinyl in the past with no issues, but last week I had a small job and had some still in stock. The print looked weird with all the copy having a rounded corner look. Even the registaration squares looked more like rounded squares. I have to assume that the ink sat on the surface and bled.
I know from the past that I have done it and I am pretty sure i ran a regular vinyl profile.

any ideas on what may be happening?

My last resort is to run them on the Edge but I can't change the price and will take a hit.

I know I have printed on static cling vinyl in the past with no issues, but last week I had a small job and had some still in stock. The print looked weird with all the copy having a rounded corner look. Even the registaration squares looked more like rounded squares. I have to assume that the ink sat on the surface and bled.
I know from the past that I have done it and I am pretty sure i ran a regular vinyl profile.

any ideas on what may be happening?

My last resort is to run them on the Edge but I can't change the price and will take a hit.

Static cling vinyl tends to have a short shelf life, due to plasticizer migration. In the case of General Formulations Concept 207 cling, they note the storage stability at only 3 months. Heat over 75 degrees f and humidity above 50% increase migration of plasticizers. These factors could affect print-ability and ink adhesion.

Last edited:

gabagoo

Static cling vinyl tends to have a short shelf life, due to plasticizer migration. In the case of General Formulations Concept 207 cling, they note the storage stability at only 3 months. Hest over 75 degrees f and humidity above 50% increase migration of plasticizers. These factors could affect print-ability and ink adhesion.

Bingo!! I never realized the shelf life was so short. How do we know how long at sat at the distributors...hmmmmm

J Hill Designs

heh

Attachments

• 30137921.jpg
    30137921.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 127

LarryB

For static cling I just print on regular oracal 3640 and then mount it to static cling. The profile for static cling on versaworks takes forever to print.

gabagoo

For static cling I just print on regular oracal 3640 and then mount it to static cling. The profile for static cling on versaworks takes forever to print.

vinyl shrinks differently than static cling so this could be a problem

anotherdog

We no longer do static, never reached the end of a roll before we had to throw it out.
Most times we can use a short term vinyl instead.

Tint Boss

I work for a distributor out of Michigan called One Source and we will not stock static cling in fear that it will not print right after sitting to long, so what we have been doing is ordering it when it is requested. Its very true that once it sits for too long that its a waste, well unless of course somebody just wants white static for something other than printing on

gabagoo

I purchases a 10 yard piece from a distributor and it still printed with everything over bled...but the cutter could read the registration marks so all is good, except the quality of decal itself..... It OK as they are oil change decals...don't need to be purdy. next time I use removable vinyl...no more of this listening to what the customer wants...they know not what they speak of lol

Mal Ross

Mal Ross
With STATIC CLING CONCEPT from General Formulations printed on my Mimaki JV33 I have the feed temp low (28deg) and after print heater (38deg) If the feed temp is higher it make roller marks in the static cling and the print is no good.
My problem is the horrible marks that appear on the print...These marks ar clearly on the static cling before printing and become worse with ink on top...as though the ink didnt take well and was rolled when too wet...so the ink came off. This was not the case as on close inspection the material had the marks on it before printing
It seem as though these marks have come fron the back of the LINER PAPER

Mosh

I never had good luck with it on our Rolands, so stopped offering it. I like dashing the hopes of walk-in customers wanting "in memory of" crap on static cling. I send them packing back to the trailer park empty handed!

J

john1

i never had good luck with it on our rolands, so stopped offering it. I like dashing the hopes of walk-in customers wanting "in memory of" crap on static cling. I send them packing back to the trailer park empty handed!

lol

Mal Ross

Mal Ross
Ha ha ha that s the RIGHT IDEA man ... trouble is this is a $5000 job,...150 signs
40 are 1.8mx 1.2m Ive got them printing purrrrfect but its the crap already on the stuff that is screwing with me.....out of my control.

Face piles of trials with smiles...back to the trailer camp with em!!!
fig jam bro..

Bill Modzel

I agree with the shelf life but I have a yearly repeating job that I have run the leftover static a full 12 months later on my HP9000s.
I suspect that the latex may react more sensitively to the plasticizer issue though. I'll find out next summer when I use the new L26500 for the first time. I have a unopened full roll that would hurt to pitch out.

TheSnowman

Three months!? Holy Crap! I have a mega roll sitting here from when I bought my first printer like 8 years ago. I've never used it. Guess I'll throw that in the garbage. I guess I assumed it'd always be good since it didn't have "adhesive".

34Ford

I have a SP540i printer and our car club wants some logos printed on cling vinyl. Should I just get someone to do them? Probably 300 to 500 and about 3" in diameter. Must stick on inside of glass.