• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Static Cling

Dizimoto

Hi..
I've read loads of stuff about window cling films but what I need to know is... can I print say 4ft high on the stuff and then stick the printed side to the glass..?
A friend tells me that you can...but surely the stuff is designed to stick the back side to the glass. Reason for this subject is I don't have white inks...so need to print on white cling... any thoughts..?

tylercrum

The printed side of static cling materials won't stick. If you need to make a single-sided window graphic that is applied on the inside facing out you have a couple options. You can reverse print on clear cling, then apply a white vinyl (with clear adhesive) on top. Then you'll have a static cling with the graphic on the clingy side. Or you can print on a poster material or banner or a polypropylene (whichever material you choose really) then apply something like the Gudy Adhesive to the print side and boom, single-sided face mount window graphic. (I believe it is made by SEAL, I know you can get it from grimco). Technically option 2 isn't a true "cling" but it accomplishes the same goal.

Devon19515

I have put the printed side of cling to the glass and had it stick well. Of course the graphic has a lot of white area, and I left a large white border.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
And use Rapidtac to apply to glass, just like you would any other vinyl. Makes it bubble free.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
If the cling is supposed to go on exterior glass, do not do it first surface. I've can't tell you how many times I've had to explain to customers why their clings that they got from another sign shop fell off when they were trying to use them, first surface, on exterior glass and expecting them to stay put like their other vinyl signs did.
And, if you don't have white ink capabilities, the laminating clear with white always works just fine.

T_K

years ago, one of our vendors came by to talk about a static cling that would print on the "sticky" side, so you could put in on the inside of the glass. But I never tried it. The stuff was really expensive compared to normal static cling, which was something we didn't use a lot of.

djhotwheel

There are 3 cling I have worked with....
General Formulations makes a basic (generic) cling in Clear and White. This is repackaged through many vendor suppliers.

Print in short passes, like 16pass or slow down the head speed (roland machines). 720x720, do NOT over heat but, adjust feed comp for less banding.
Allow to dry FLAT for 24 hours

No issues sticking to printed side. Outdoors up to 90 days.

The 3rd is a paper based cling that you use for indoor purposes. Just print, dry throw on window.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
We have done repeat full bleed solid black 4'x5' prints on Catalina white static cling - mounted print side down on some inner windows at the car dealership.
Not sure if I would do it with the windows getting direct sun exposure but there have been no issues that I know of.

wayne k
guam usa

bannertime

We tried to apply the printed side to the window once, there was enough unprinteed area that it worked just fine. When we pulled it off, it left ink on the windows. Had to scrape it off with a blade. Now, just like everyone else has said, we reverse print and apply white cut vinyl to the back. Looks and works great.

Connie Fry

glass adhere

I am new here, but I'm trying to print small stickers (3 x 5") applied to plexi-glass for solar lights. I am using clear glass adhere, but even though I have white ink, it does not show.
Problem #2 is it won't cut through. I tried a new blade, and 300 gm pressure (my Roland versacamm max pressure) but even after 2 passes, it won't go through. Please help!