• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Static Fix?

For some reason Graphtec was nice enough to not design a static output on there machines. It seems to me, and it just may be me, that as the vinyl comes out of the roll slides down the back basket, up across the cutting area, and down the front basket it builds up a lot of static. Yes i have said ouch a few times when touching the machine when receiving the static shock.

So i got some wire and stripped it completely, about 4 ft. taped it across the cutting area behind the rollers, got two more wires, stripped there ends about 1", used the bolt that holds the main bracket on the machine to mount the first wire (which i tied into the bare wire that goes into the cutting area), and i used another existing screw and tied the second wire into a screw below the cutting controls, then placed each wire into a seperate ground plug/hole in a power strip. Yes believe it or not my idea worked. A little red neck but hey i dont say ouch anymore. BUT!! i also stopped using the FABRIC catch on each side of the machine. But now my vinyl gets really dirty. ANYONE KNOW OF A SURE FIRE WAY TO GET RID OF STATIC WHILE USING THE CATCH'S????

surf city

You can try uysing an anti-static mat to put under the machine and see if that helps to absorb the static.

i battle this problem constantly but on a much bigger scale usually a few of my clients have automated presses with auto loaders and static is an absolute nightmare..but i battle it with plotters and printers as well. we employ a system similar to what you have developed on your own, anti static mats, various uses of drier sheets to wipe down materials, in winter we increase the humidity, we teach people to ground themselves before touching equipment, one client even buys special shoes for his employees, there is even anti static spray and wrist bands.

wonsngis

I have the answer for you! We had the exact same problem with our FC8000. In fact, our static was so bad that it was shorting out the machine!

Get this kit http://stopstatic.com/accessories.html#cord

We put ours on the back of the plotter and we haven't had any issues since. Works great on the laminator, too.

Compilla

Not sure what Graphtec cutter model you got but I was having some static issues until I got a ANTI-STATIC STRING from them.

I got a FC-8000

G-Artist

I am no expert but as to the front and back catch baskets I have seen many "non-static" and/or "static-free" ones being advertised while shopping on-line for a printer of my own.

G-Artist

Where do they have these at??

I really can't say. They were advertised as part and parcel of the printer
sale. I think Google could be a friend here.

Lots of folks make their own baskets. I would think using an uncoated canvas
material probably would suffice and the metal rods holding the actual basket
would be grounded with the machine.

In our shop we have all print and work tables covered in metal and we have
two 16' grounding rods (Lowe's / Home Depot) in the ground where everything
is connected. Those rods hit our water table (being in Florida) so everything
is safe and secure.

SlamMan

We put the Graphtec "static string" kit on two of our plotters. Actually we purchased one "kit" which includes two string and magnets and put one each on two plotters.

They do help but it's no magic cure.