• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Stay or Leave?......Very Undecided.

JMan1

Hey whats sign peeps.......

I recently got offered a job with another sign company. The one I work at now, and the one that wants me are two totally different types of sign companies. One, the one Im at now, is a full service sign company dealing with neon and architechtual signage, and vinyl graphics while the other, the one that wants me, is a digital sign graphic company that deals with full vehicle wraps, vinyl installations, and regular signage. They are pretty big companies with both employing over 15 people and have a lot of clientele.

My current job is a union job, but Im pretty much maxed out in terms of pay unless I get bumped up to Journeyman (only $1 more than apprentice), or if our union meeting allows us to. Really our last raise was about two years ago. The problem with this job is that our checks are boucning and my boss is failing to pay our suppliers for materials, which hurts us for work in the long run. On top of that, if it gets slow, we are sent home with no pay, or we have to use our vacation to balance out our pay. Plus, it gets frustrating when there is nothing to do. Ive been wanting to learn more about Neon and sign installations, but since Im in the art department, I have little chance of gainin more experience within the industry. There software is pretty dated, and there digital machine have been broke since forever. Ive been telling them that I want to learn up to date Sign software, and start prepping me on the digital printer, but nothing since Ive asked two years ago.

The job that offered me a position, seems pretty stable, unlike my current employer. They assured me that they wont go under, even though they are kinda slow too. I'll probably have to take a pay cut, but I'll get to learn everything about digital printing, and vehicle wraps, which is way different than what I do now, and still do what I do best. Something I'll be learning for free rather than at a colleg. On top of that, I get to learn about industry standard sign software and technology. I'll get a raise after my probation, if I prove that I can do what I say I can, which is no problem because Ive been doing this for 9 years.

Really the only thing at my current job that has me thinking so hard is the pay, but if I go to the other job, I'll gain more experience in the long run, than I would if I were to stay where I am, something Ive been wanting and pursuing for a long time.

So which one should I go for. Need some advice......thanx.

-Josh

GypsyGraphics

The two things in your post that jump out at me are:
The fact that your current employer isn't paying his suppliers, NOT GOOD.
The fact that your potential new employer is hiring, GOOD.

Poconopete

Buy a Kit Kat. Only you can decide what's best for you. Maybe neither of the choices is right and you need to seek employment somewhere else.

acothran

Can I ask why the potential employer wants you? I don't really want to know your whole bio or see your portfolio, but why are they hiring and why did they approach you? Did they lose an employee, do they want to take you from the competition, are they busy and simply need someone else? Did they approach you or did you approach them?

As Pete said, only you can decide. I was just wondering the circumstances. You clearly explained why you might leave your current employer but didn't really fill us in on why the other company wants to hire you. That might have a lot to do with the decision.

Allen

JMan1

Can I ask why the potential employer wants you? I don't really want to know your whole bio or see your portfolio, but why are they hiring and why did they approach you? Did they lose an employee, do they want to take you from the competition, are they busy and simply need someone else? Did they approach you or did you approach them?

As Pete said, only you can decide. I was just wondering the circumstances. You clearly explained why you might leave your current employer but didn't really fill us in on why the other company wants to hire you. That might have a lot to do with the decision.

Allen

I approached them because of the recent events of whats been happening with my current empoyer. It was never about competition or anything of that nature. One of my main concerns (and the rest of my co-wrokers too) was that checks started to bounce, but yet my boss still had the time to go and take a 2 week vacation, buy a new boat, and etc.....on a side note, he just came back from his 5th vacation this year.

They didnt lose anybody or weren't hiring, but they said its rare that they come across somebody with experience in the industry, and thay they didnt want to lose a potential opportunity.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Where do you want to end up in 5 years.?.. will the job change be a move toward your goal or away from it? In your 9 years, how many jobs have you had in the sign business? Have you looked at other opportunities besides the one offer?

I personally can't handle bounced checks, old equipment/software, hitting the top of the learning curve at a shop and the stress of working for a business that is being mishandled, I would have been out already, but it would have been an upward move. In this economy, your pickin's are getting pretty slim.

JMan1

Single? Married with kids and saving for college?
Sounds like you want to give it a try...

I got a wife and daughter.......Ive been thinking about college, but I havent found the right time to do it because of so many things that have come up. i never stop thinking about going back to school.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
I got a wife and daughter.......Ive been thinking about college, but I havent found the right time to do it because of so many things that have come up. i never stop thinking about going back to school.

Saving for the kids college not yours ...

Liquid GraphX

Well as a forty year old student I would tell you don't ever be worried about going back to school. I really didn't have a choice to go back or be stuck at a certain pay range like you are talking about and it is tough don't get me wrong, money is tight but it will be worth it.....I can relate with the boss vacation thing I had the same thing happen to me with my former business partner....he took 7 last year and now he had take a permanent vacation outta town....to many creditors....

Go and make sure that the new place wants to help you help them. If you learn then they can mold you into the employee they need and you will succeed.

JMan1

Where do you want to end up in 5 years.?.. will the job change be a move toward your goal or away from it? In your 9 years, how many jobs have you had in the sign business? Have you looked at other opportunities besides the one offer?

I personally can't handle bounced checks, old equipment/software, hitting the top of the learning curve at a shop and the stress of working for a business that is being mishandled, I would have been out already, but it would have been an upward move. In this economy, your pickin's are getting pretty slim.

I definitely want to learn the digital side of the business. I started off 9 years ago doing vinyl work, then I relocated and learned how to work with sign software and plotters, and even sign fabrication and neon installation. 5 years from now I want to be able to put all of that together and then some, and just use what I gained along the way. I guess it seems my previous experiences gets me in the door to potential employers.

In my 9 years Ive had 3 jobs and all were in the sign business. It would have probably been 2 jobs if I hadnt relocated to where I am now.

I definitely looked at my options, but either they werent looking for anybody, or just flat out never return my email.

Mosh

If you are all about the money, go where it is. I myself would go where I was the happiest. Higher pay does not equal higher happyness! Do what makes you feel the best in life, that is more important than money any day of the week! Take it from a guy who has never had a job in his whole lifetime!

Mosh

My kids ain't worred about no college learnin, they be worried about eatin...take a close look at my avatar if you have don't think so.

Checkers

I'll probably get bashed for this but what the heck...

Since you're union, how much seniority do you have? Do you see layoffs in the near future? And, if layoffs start happening, will you be one of the first to go?

With our current POTUS and congress spending like a drunken sailor home on leave, you may be able to take a layoff, get your schooling paid for and collect unemployment - for up to 99 months.

Call me a hypocrite, but as much as I can't stand the direction this country is headed, I would take full advantage of what's available - while it lasts.

Checkers

the things that jump out at me about the original post.

a single dollar difference between an apprentice and a journeyman...
your primary position being in the art department with your spelling and grammar. this isn't meant as a 'dig' but grammar and spelling are extremely important in our line our work.

like Checkers i feel if your union offers any security this needs to be taken into account, without having any details there are a few warning flags that make me wonder about said union (especially the dollar difference between an apprentice and a journeyman).

good luck. times are tough out there.

GoodPeopleFlags

I say go for it! You'll learn stuff at the new job that you won't at the current one. You probably won't stay at the new one forever, either, but you'll have the knowledge you learn there to take with you.