• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Stilts anyone???????

maynemag

Here is probably the craziest question anyone will probably ask in a while, here goes....... I did another 20ft box truck over the weekend and my problem was getting to the top of the box without access to a ladder. Good thing I had a buddy who let me borrow his for the job. My dilemma is that I have a small vehicle and need a small portable solution to be able to do those jobs that are high off the ground. I thought about using drywall stilts. It would be easily portable and would keep me high enough without having to constantly go up and down the ladder to move it along the truck. What would be a good solution for my problem other than buying a truck big enough to carry ladders and a walk board. Anyone ever try the drywall stilts before???? Just a thought.

Joe Diaz

I'd test out a pair before you commit. They may not be what you had in mind. I know they have come a long way since the big heavy bulky ones from back in the day, but they may be too clumsy for this type of work, and it might take you a while to get used to wearing them and working at an efficient enough pace to make that purchase worthwhile.

Have you looked into a little giant. Those ladders fold up and don't take up too much space. They may fit in your ride.

rfulford

I used to do a bit of construction in college and we had a set of stilts for sheet rocking ceilings. I never used them enough to be totally comfortable on them. I found that I needed use one hand on the ceiling for bracing.

maynemag

I was thinking the same thing also that they maybe a little too unsteady for me to use efficiently. I also gave the little giant ladders a look, they maybe the way to go.

laserman70

My brother in law has a plastering business. I have helped him many times hanging board when he is real busy. They are not hard to walk on, just hard to get into. Make sure everything you have for the job is on a table high enough for you to grab, and dont drop anything. If you do hopefully someone is around to pick it up for you.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
From your post mayne…. I gather a few things.

• You don’t do this very often.
  • You’re doing this on-site.
  • You don’t have a proper company vehicle for operating your sign business.
  • You don’t have adequate space or facilities to do this in-house or on your shop’s parking lot.

In other words, you’re not really a sign shop and based on your profile, you’re not. Therefore, wouldn’t it be easier to set your self up properly and look professional to your clients ?? The Gorilla Ladders are among my favorite ladders for small stuff. You can get up 20 some feet or turn it into a walk plank system without any problems and they’re not expensive.

gorillaladder.jpg

maynemag

You are correct Gino about a couple of things, but let me tell you I am a growing business and just starting to expand into vehicle graphics, wraps, vehicle lettering etc. I am not trying to become a sign shop, I do have a shop with a reasonable amount of space but not big enough to do tractor-trailers or huge box trucks so I do most of them on location. I think there are a lot of people such as myself who do the same thing. But my question is how do I not look professional if I don't use two ladders and a walkboard? I have seen many methods to getting to high places including one of those folding tables from walmart, in the end the customer really is mostly worried about if the final product is to their liking. Be easy on the little guy I am building a growing business and right now a bucket truck or scissor lift is not in the budget. Just looking for a good portable solution to work for me temporarily. I am sure most of us started small just like me.

petepaz

that was pretty sweet JR
have to start looking for something like that

right now i use the gorilla ladder(same as the little giant) with the scaffolding that you can get for it (see Gino's pic) that thing has paid for itself over and over and over and over again easy to use and no problem for one person fits in most suv's or even some cars

JR's

In the warmer months for transportation. I use my Vespa, I think that little thing would be pretty cool. And I could fit on the back of my bike.
I've got aluminum plank A-frames stepladders etc., but they do not fit on the back of the Vespa.

JR

Williams Signs

Werner makes a ladder like the little giant. It is a fraction of the price and works great. The ladder says it is rated for 350 lbs, but it holds me just fine. Just used mine to extend 6x6 posts by 6 feet. Ladder handled my 420 lbs. plus the weight of the 6x6 with no problem. Also like how the ladder can be set up where it can be angled in step ladder form to put you right up to your sign.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Good for you mayne, I’m glad your business is growing.

I have one question for you…. why is it when anyone suggests to someone such as yourself to do something professionally, you guys always cop an attitude and say….. you have to learn or start somewhere ??

Of course everyone starts somewhere, but looking a gift horse in the mouth isn’t a good start or idea.

The 'other' people you mentioned…. really don’t matter…. do they ?? All that matters is what you are doing and how you can get the job done and still not cause codes and OSHA to interfere with our livelihood.

If I contracted someone to come out and build me a shed on my property and the guy only showed up with a hammer and some nails, I’d be a little afraid I wasn’t going to get my money’s worth, let alone a professional job. If he had to call a friend to bring a saw over, I’d feel better, but if he was on his cell phone or laptop asking for advice on how to locate one or why must he buy things to operate his business legitimately, I’d be starting to worry again.

Let’s be clear about something else….. being easy on the little guy is what this site is all about. Whether or not people here sugar-coat things to your liking is not anyone’s concern…. at least not in my opinion. If you receive information regardless of how valuable or not it is to you…… and it’s free….. what’s the problem ?? Someone didn’t say thank you or you’re welcome ?? Too bad. Many teachers in schools don’t get thank you’s or you’re welcome’s from the students, but they go on giving.

When going out and tackling a job that’s over your head either knowledge-wise or equipment-wise…. a professional will see to it that he is prepared. He’ll have his tools sharp or clean, he’ll have everything ready so there’s no problems. Coming to a job where you have to get up high seems rather obvious you need to borrow a truck or rent one, because if you fell off that borrowed ladder on someone else’s property, the insurance companies and their respective lawyers will have a field day with you….. and you know what that does to all us professionals ?? It makes our insurance go up because ‘someone just starting out’ did another stupid thing wrong and we the professionals have to pay for it.

There my friend is why 'starting out somewhere' does interfere with me and concerns me. :peace!:
Why is it…. you all want to shoot first…… and ask questions later ??

OldPaint

i dont see a problem with a "walkboard." as long as it done properly. i dont do much off the ground nowadays, but i have 2 WERNER fiberglass ladders, a 6 ft & 8 ft. AND I ALSO HAVE A PICKUP TRUCK........that i can put them in. along with a 12 foot 2x12, i hand picked in a lumber yard with ZERO knots in it!!!!!!! this is important as knots will make a board of that length weak & break. this served me for many years doin box trucks & walls. it amazes me that the "now" sign people, will spend $20-30k for a printer..........and have no idea of how to get off the ground.........safely, and with the proper INEXPENSIVE(compared to the price of a printer)equipment. i think part of the allure of the sign painter craft, is the amount of pure genius, of most of the old timers, who could adapt to any problem with a simple solution to get the job done.

slappy

when i do jobs such as buses, or anything high off the ground, i park a trailer right next to it and work. The only thing that sometimes get's in my way is the trailers wheel fenders, but it also makes for extra height for me if needed. Just parking them close enough together is somewhat tricky, but probably easier with a smaller trailer

Last edited:

maynemag

Not going to battle with you Gino, my main goal was getting opinions on the idea and if anyone had any experience with it. I already had something similar to the little giant and a walkboard in mind to begin with but thought that maybe stilts would be more compact if they worked how I needed them to I would give them a try. Besides I am sure there was some aspect of your business that you may have added later on and being a newbie at that point I am sure you didnt have the needed equipment at that time because you wanted to find out what worked best for you before buying it. Or I could be totally wrong and you could have been born into a family business or had some great financial backing to begin with and had everything you needed from the start, sorry I'm not either one of those people, I started my business from nothing. Thank you to all the people who saved there know-it-all opinions and just suggested something better.