• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Stock photos: difference between these 2 images?

GoodPeopleFlags

I need to purchase a stock image from Dreamstime. I'm going to need to increase the size quite a bit so I want to get the highest resolution available. There are several options but here are the 2 largest:

Maximum 4248x2824px (9722 KB) 14.2" x 9.4" @ 300dpi
Tiff 4248x2824px (34.4 MB) 14.2" x 9.4" @ 300dpi

What's the difference besides the actual file size? I assume I'll need the .tif but how can 2 images, same physical size and same dpi, can 1 be "better" than the other?

Bill43mx

I'm assuming the other option is a jpg and the difference would be the amount of compression, or lack thereof.

From an jpg vs tiff search on Google:

"JPEG uses lossy compression, meaning some image data is lost when the file is compressed and then uncompressed. The amount of compression can vary, with more compression meaning more data loss but resulting in a smaller file. JPEG, like TIFF, is a good bet for a long term archival format.

Uncompressed (lossless) TIFF is the standard for most commercial digital photo printing needs. TIFF is an excellent choice for archiving images when file size is not a consideration as uncompressed TIFF files are larger than JPEGs. "

omgsideburns

I doubt that Fred.. If it's a digital photo, it shouldn't have ever been CMYK.. maybe bit depth but not the color mode..

The only thing I would guess is because it's a lossless format and was probably converted from camera raw to a tiff.. and then a JPG option for people who don't care about some compression artifacts.

GoodPeopleFlags

Here's a little more detail, if it helps. The image is below. A local community college will be using it for a backdrop for a play. I'm actually going to end up making it look like a grayscale drawing with just a slight amount of color and an off-white background to give it an aged look. The final size is 13' x 13'.

Which image should I buy? The Maximum or the .tif?

Attachments

• GiantsCauseway.jpg
    GiantsCauseway.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 98

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
The difference is four channels of color (CMYK) versus three channels (RGB).

not necessarily, Fred.

The sizes indicated here offer no clue as to whether either is RBG or CMYK

Assuming same filetype and compression, a CMYK image will be approx one third larger than its corresponding RGB image. An uncompressed 4248px X 2824 px would be close to 36MB (RGB) and close to 48MB (CMYK).

TIFF images can be saved as uncompressed or with LZW compression and the resulting file size when saved with compression will depend very largely on the nature of the image.

One final caveat... TIFF images can also employ JPG compression, so beware of this if you happen to be one of those who thinks JPGs are evil.

GoodPeopleFlags

It'll end up looking kinda like this one so I think the .jpg should be fine?

Attachments

• Photo1_LinedrawingSomeColor copy.jpg
    Photo1_LinedrawingSomeColor copy.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 83

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I doubt that Fred.. If it's a digital photo, it shouldn't have ever been CMYK.. maybe bit depth but not the color mode..

The only thing I would guess is because it's a lossless format and was probably converted from camera raw to a tiff.. and then a JPG option for people who don't care about some compression artifacts.

They have internal procedures that I am not familiar with. As a contributor there, I can only tell you that I upload JPGs and they add TIFs to the formats available. In one example, my 3600 x 3600 JPG is also offered as a 5091 x 5091 TIF which Dreamstime created all on their own. My JPG is 8.6 MB and their TIF is 74.2 MB.

Testing that image in Photoshop, there is an increase in file size of approx. 133% if I change to color mode from RGB to CMYK. So I tend to think the color mode change is a major contributor to the increased file size along with the less efficient "lossless" compression used with the TIF format.

signswi

That's just supposition, that filesize difference could easily just be the difference in the type of compression (or the tif may be uncompressed entirely), not a difference of color channels. It would be really, really weird for a stock photo vendor to convert color modes seeing as they'd be throwing away a ton of color data to go to CMYK.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
The tiff could be 16bits per channel (not likely)or have layers/masks(not likely in a landscape pic) that the jpg would not support.
Then again the jpg could also be cymk.

wayne k
guam usa

GoodPeopleFlags

If someone bought both images and blew them up to 13' x 13', would there be a significant difference in the pixelation between the 2? I know there will be no matter what, but I'm curious about the difference between the 2 images?

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Which image should I buy? The Maximum or the .tif?

Always buy the tif. there is no compression and if saved in lzw format (not always) will result in a file the same size as a jpg.

you will ALWAYS see the difference blowing them up since jpg causes that wierd color halo scrobble around hard edges and that would be blown up. trust me, get the tif.

good art in = good art out.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Well based on what Fred said I'd say to never waste any extra on a tiff from them. With a caveat though - if you do not have the tools to enlarge an image properly then maybe pay the extra for them to do it for you. What are they doing to enlarge the original that you cannot do yourself? We have Perfect Resize as well as Blow Up and of course Photoshop. Why am I going to pay them extra to do the same thing I can do? I never knew that they made the different sizes - I was always under the impression the author of the image had provided the different sizes. Knowing this I feel any stock site that does this should clearly let users know that they are the ones altering the original image and should clearly note specifically which size is the unmolested original. That is the image I want as I'm very confident that we have the tools to do every bit as good of a job enlarging or otherwise molesting an original image. I honestly and genuinely feel scammed right now - I've paid hard earned money to have the tools to do extreme enlargements and now I find that I've been paying extra for someone else to do that for me essentially as a hidden fee.

GoodPeopleFlags

Always buy the tif. there is no compression and if saved in lzw format (not always) will result in a file the same size as a jpg.

you will ALWAYS see the difference blowing them up since jpg causes that wierd color halo scrobble around hard edges and that would be blown up. trust me, get the tif.

good art in = good art out.

But the end result isn't going to be a perfect photo; the customer wants it to have a "roughed up" look, but not look like a bunch of huge pixels. So, that's what I'm going for.

I'm not looking for an excuse to buy the less expensive one. I've quoted the job as purchasing the tif. But if the end result doesn't matter anyway, then I'd like to save myself and the customer a few dollars.

Looking forward to what Dreamstime says, Fred.

GoodPeopleFlags

Hey Sightline! How did I not know about photo resizing software???? I really need to get out more. D'oh! :covereyes:

I'm going to download the Perfect Resize free trial. Looks really cool. Do you find that Perfect Resize or Blow Up is more user friendly?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Dreamstime's Reply

Here's the reply. I stand corrected that it is, in part, the color mode.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us.
All images are RGB. The TIFF version is an upsized format that we have made from the JPG version using a special software. This version was made available because it was requested by our customers, as some do not know how or do not have the software available to do the upsizing.

Kind Regards,

Erin Vandivier
Customer Service Mgr.
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

GoodPeopleFlags

Ok, but I guess I'm missing something. Sounds like to me they're saying that the .tif is bigger. In the example I stated in the original post, the file size is bigger but both photos are the same physical size and both are 300dpi. I don't understand!