• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Stock photos: difference between these 2 images?

J Hill Designs

seems like if the tiff is made from the jpg, then it would already have the lossy artifacting created by compressing the jpg...and therefore not be any better at all...

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Ok, but I guess I'm missing something. Sounds like to me they're saying that the .tif is bigger. In the example I stated in the original post, the file size is bigger but both photos are the same physical size and both are 300dpi. I don't understand!

I think Fred was referring to the image he mentioned earlier where the original uploaded file (JPG) was 3600px X 3600px and the additional format subsequently offered was (TIF) at 5091px X 5091px -- a significant step up in size in terms of pixels.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I think Fred was referring to the image he mentioned earlier where the original uploaded file (JPG) was 3600px X 3600px and the additional format subsequently offered was (TIF) at 5091px X 5091px -- a significant step up in size in terms of pixels.

I wasn't referring to any specific file and I recognize that the TIF discussed by the OP was the same size. As such, and considering that the reply stated that it would still be in RGB color mode, the only explanation would be that the difference lies strictly in the compression or lack thereof with the TIF ... unless the size is misstated in the file information at Dreamstime.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
The TIFF version is an upsized format that we have made from the JPG version using a special software.

lol, sounds like there just using photoshop aka special software and turning your jpg into a larger size tiff and selling it for more. scam written all over it....

GoodPeopleFlags

Interesting...

For what it's worth, I bought the Maximum instead of the .tif and downloaded the trial version of Perfect Resize. I think it's gonna work out great! Thanks, guys!

:U Rock:

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Perfect Resize and Blow Up are both easy to use and both can do a much better job than Photoshop alone. I use both regular because I have found that sometimes one will do a better job than the other. Just seems to very some depending on the image.

showcase 66

Maybe I am wrong but if you open a jpg and then save it as a Photoshop eps, doesn't it make it scale without much if any distortion. I was told that a long time ago and I do this for most of my images when they are smaller but with a higher dpi. Doesnt really work with a 72 dpi image.

Just thought I would throw that out there.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Maybe I am wrong but if you open a jpg and then save it as a Photoshop eps, doesn't it make it scale without much if any distortion.

No, it doesn't.

A bitmap that is placed in an EPS container is still a bitmap and is subject to all scaling transgressions that befall any other bitmap not contained in an EPS.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Yup - that simply makes a jpg placed in an eps. I know I'm not the only one that gets those from customers sometimes. They tell me "I hear your type of work is best done with eps files so thats what we have"...... great.