• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Stop calling me from Utah!

CES020

Anyone else keep getting the calls from a Utah based company that keep wanting to plug away for information about your business? About every other day, I get a call, I've traced it down to a marketing company in Utah. They want to know about our phone service, our office supplies, anything and everything. I always tell them the person's not here that could help them and move on. Last week, the caught me at the wrong time and I asked them to remove me off their call list. This ended up in a 5 minute conversation telling me that they weren't trying to sell me anything, they were doing research, not selling. I repeatedly asked to be removed from the call list and they repeatedly ignored my request and kept on talking.

I finally go short with the guy and told me to stop calling me.

He said "I'm calling on behalf of Sign of the Times Magazine".

So thanks for that Sign of the Times Magazine. I really appreciate you doing that to me, especially since I'm not even subscribed to your magazine and you harvested my company info from a NBM show registration.

saktrnch

Pretty funny magazine choice the guy gave you. Signs of the times has nothing to do with "Signs", and they wouldn't be involved with any of this type of "research".
Signs of the times is a religious magazine.

Marlene

Signs of the times is a religious magazine.

"Signs of the Times" is a trade mag for our industry and has been around for since 1900 or so. I would think it would be that "Signs of the Times" and not the other religious magazine that would be doing the survey

Mainframe

I have gotten those calls before & I quickly tell them "Sorry I don't give out any Business operations info, EVER" So please take me off your list-"caller" But I am not selling anything- I interrupt & tell them Federal law states, if I request to be taken off your call list then you must comply! I know your not selling anything to me but you are selling the info you collect to someone so you are marketing, TAKE ME OFF YOUR LIST -GOODBYE & hang up, Sometimes I have to break into a chant-"take me off your list!"-"take me off your list!"-"take me off your list!"-"take me off your list!" & they finally hang up!

I find It best to take control of the conversation from the start & I also am not sure about the Federal law thing it is just something I heard from somebody.

royster13

When I read the law, I am thinking it applies only to "personal" residential phone numbers....As soon as you use a number for any kind of "business" use, the law does not apply....

Also, if they are not actually selling anything the law does not apply....So they do a "survey" to qualify leads and pass those leads to sales folks for personal followup....

And in any event, if they take you off the list in the US, they will just call you from another country where the law does not apply.....Canada put in legislation, now most of the telemarketing calls come from the US....

And like any law, a determined person will just find a way to "skirt" it and continue on....

iSign

I just darken their doorstep, darker than they've darkened mine...

...it may not really work, but in my mind, it shifts the cloud of oppression off of me, and on to them, get's my frustrations with their telemarketing annoyance out of my system before it has a chance to leak out in a post on S101...

...and maybe, just maybe, some day I'll be the last straw for some salvagable soul & they will quit and get a real job, working for someone besides Satan next time!!

jc1cell

Sometimes I have to break into a chant-"take me off your list!"-"take me off your list!"-"take me off your list!"-"take me off your list!" & they finally hang up!

Too funny. Something I would do. Very High School years.

jc

RebeckaR

I've spoken with a few of these very persistant telemarketers. If they don't go away when I ask them to, I'm not very nice to them.
I asked one guy in particular to be put on the don't call list. He informed me that the list does not apply to businesses. He can call me as often and whenever he wants to. yay. jerk.
So I informed him that no matter when he calls, or even if someone else calls, they will reach me. Me. The witch with the attitude. And hasn't this call been pleasant? Are you sure you want to do this again?
I haven't heard from that particular company again.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Instead of calling this 'Stop calling me.....................'

Why don't you 'Stop picking up the phone when they call' ??

Another trick is... as soon as you answer, just hit your lb. button like 30 times real fast and hang up.

CES020

I have avoided them for about the last 6 months, not picking up the phone, but it's irritating as hell when you're in the middle of something and the phone rings, only to walk over to it and see "Ogden, Utah" over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over......

iSign

Another trick is... as soon as you answer, just hit your lb. button like 30 times real fast and hang up.

maybe because it's MY f'n phone

maybe "I'm workin' here" (in my best Dustin voice) and don't always have time to worry in advance & check in advance if it might be an irrelevant wast of frikkin' time... maybe I'm multi-tasking and willing to grab the phone, sight unseen, and split molecules in my brain just devote whatever available attention I can muster, away from the work at hand... because it might be important to ME... and when it's not, as unlikely as it might seem from my posts... I give telemarketers ONE chance to be told no, politely...

Pat Whatley

There is virtually nothing you can do or say to them that's going to hurt their feelings. There's a call center here that I do a lot of work for. There are over 100 people in there 14 hours a day with computers and headsets. Watching them work is kind of funny. They'll start their speech then stop talking (hung up on)....then start again....then stop mid-sentence....over and over and over until they finally get somebody who will talk to them. When somebody starts bitching at them they literally get more upset about the time being wasted than anything that's said. They get commission, the more of their time you waste the less time they have to chase down that 1 in 100 sale.

If it is Signs Of The Times magazine you should start calling them every time they call you. Find a direct line for somebody important and annoy the mess out of them. Heck, post it here, we'll all join in.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
maybe because it's MY f'n phone

maybe "I'm workin' here" (in my best Dustin voice) and don't always have time to worry in advance & check in advance if it might be an irrelevant wast of frikkin' time... maybe I'm multi-tasking and willing to grab the phone, sight unseen, and split molecules in my brain just devote whatever available attention I can muster, away from the work at hand... because it might be important to ME... and when it's not, as unlikely as it might seem from my posts... I give telemarketers ONE chance to be told no, politely...

Oh my...... Do we need a little visit with Dr Phil ??

I see a side of you, I've never-ever witnessed before...... :ROFLMAO: Who the F*** am I kidding ??

Dougie..... we definitely need to take a long look at our inner selves and not pass judgment on those simply trying to do their job.... no matter how much it disgusts us. I imagine, if you would not subject these tele-marketers into the same garbage bag as your spammers, you could see they need to make a living, too. I'm just surprised at your outburst about these people on the other end o..... :omg: gotta go answer the phone, this might be a live one.

Doug.... you're on a roll today. I've been laughing my butt off from your posts all day.

SignManiac

I immediately ask for a credit card # and explain to them that my time on the phone is billed at $100.00 per hour and under no circumstance will I speak to them without a valid card. Discussion ends very fast with a polite, take me off your list.

iSign

I see a side of you, I've never-ever witnessed before...... :ROFLMAO: Who the F*** am I kidding ??

funny stuff!! :thumb:
thank god (or the great juju) for friends...
who else would put up with folks like us... :ROFLMAO: