• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion Stopping the spread of the virus

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
I stopped to get gas on my way to work. I couldn't help but notice that the pumps are still self service. Self service gas pumps has the potential to be the biggest source of spreading a virus. Everyone needs gas and at least one member of a family will come in contact with a pump handle.

I would encourage everyone to suggest to their local service stations to provide an attendant to pump gas during the duration of the outbreak.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Just about all the service stations I've seen, have disposable mittens you can put on. At the diesel fill up, I have special gloves to wear. However, it is a good thought.

WildWestDesigns

I've always had gloves in the truck due to having farm animals and never know when needing to put a set on. That and the diesel pumps have notoriously never been clean from the last user. People aren't going to be looking at my strangely now.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
If you use regular gloves don't then touch your door handle or steering wheel or anything else without removing those gloves. You are then transferring it to anything you touch afterwards. I have this mindset right now. Pretend everything you touch is covered in sh!t. Think about what you just touched and what you touch afterwards. Dispose, wash or sanitize before touching anything after if you don't know who touched it before

shoresigns

Haven't been using my car much since last week! Just last week before the shit hit the fan, our neighbours gave us a bunch of boxes of latex gloves that they didn't need and had been in their shop for years. Very random but I bet they're regretting it now :)

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
That's why you keep hand sanitizer in the car.... I use it every time I get in when I'm out, cuz I know I've touched SOMETHING before getting in.

Billct2

I've had a small bottle of hand sanitizer in my car since the reg flu season started. I'm using it a lot more and it's still half full

MikePro

$1.90 a gallon? who can resist?!?
my tanks been filled, bar is stocked, and my drive to work is 5min thanks to zero traffic in the am.

this hunkerin' down thing aint so bad, and now we're getting checks?!?
Make sure to setup your e-check/remotedeposit services asap, banks about to be the new hot-spot when you give people a 1000reasons to go stand in a line.

Johnny Best

I just used the latex gloves to pump gas and then throw them away after pumping gas and getting back into my truck.
I have a box in my truck and my other car.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Should I be closing all foot traffic to my store? I have barely anyone in anyway but a lady just came in and said I'm one of the only stores open. The hardware store drastically reduced hours and curbside pick-up. I'm in WI...please advise

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Id rather pump my own gas than have an attendent getting up in my window talking and grabbing my credit card after doing the same to 100 other people during the day.
The virus isnt going to jump off the gas pump and onto you, just clean your hands before getting back in your car.
Id be more cautious about having conversations with people or getting close enough that their spitty chit chat can reach you. I lock the office to keep anyone out during the day now.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I stopped to get gas on my way to work. I couldn't help but notice that the pumps are still self service. Self service gas pumps has the potential to be the biggest source of spreading a virus. Everyone needs gas and at least one member of a family will come in contact with a pump handle.

I would encourage everyone to suggest to their local service stations to provide an attendant to pump gas during the duration of the outbreak.
That attendant would be in contact with hundreds to thousands of people a day including the hundreds to thousands of people they contact? Is it not the same thing?

TimToad

We have a jug of Clorox wipes in the car between the driver and passenger seat. Been there for months and get used any time either of us comes in any contact with anything outside of our realm.

If you run short of store bought wipes, the internet is loaded with recipes for home made disinfectant and wipes.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I just grab some of those paper towels they have near the windshield wiper stuff and use that to touch everything. I have alch. spray bottle and finish with a few squirts.

jfiscus

Rap Master
I bought a few boxes of cheap Harbor Freight gloves a couple weeks ago and use one every time I pump gas, I put about a half box in each car, and I think the gloves cost about $.10 each or probably less. Cheap insurance to put one on when you get out and discard it before getting back in.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
For those who haven't done it, this is probably a very good time to set up a mobile pay app in your smart phone. That would lessen the amount of touch happening at a gasoline pump. Some businesses are no longer taking cash. I'm pretty weary of buttons on ATM machines and credit card terminals. I'll use them, but have to clean my hands immediately afterward.

TimToad

News like this is certainly disconcerting about our federal preparedness. Combined with the 700 CDC positions still unfilled from the federal hiring freeze signed by executive order in 2017, the expertise and experienced help just isn't there. Whatever you all can glean from the news about self-protection and care, DO IT. Don't wait for the agents of chaos in charge to come save you.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/dhs-faces-coronavirus-scores-vacancies-083100822.html

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Did someone say Chaos/Thanos? I wear one of these pumping gas, guaranteed to kill up to 50% of all known life:

gauntlet.jpg