• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Storage Facilities Sign

jfiscus

Rap Master
Let me know your thoughts on this sign.
Printed on oracal, applied to polymetal, sprayed with automotive clearcoat.

Attachments

• IMG_2284.jpg
    IMG_2284.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 122

luggnut

too many different fonts.. a lot of things clashing. i personally find it hard to use a full picture for a background and have a good looking sign. the message can get lost in the fluff of effects and the full picture.

J Hill Designs

nice, but don't like the bullet point in front of 'long term' -- it should just be a middle dash or dot...the two bullets make it look off-center and awkward...JMO

signguy 55

I think your priorities are off. To me "Heated" should not be so prominent, and to me it looks like the effects don't give off storage that is nice and warm, but blazingly hot. Not sure why you chose a sky background, but if the customer pays for it and likes it who am I to say?

luggnut

study some designs and critiques on this forum and you will learn alot... you definately have some skills and knowledge of the software (just to get the effects) just study and learn what makes a good and effective design. Rick (who commented "oh my!") is excellent .. you should search some of his post... but there are several others. i myself felt like i had a lot of experience and knowledge (especially with photoshop, illustrator..etc..) but i have learned so much on this board it has become an invalueble resource.

also get a subscription to signcraft and other trade mags.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I think the goldfish throws the balance way off. Put one on the other side and I think you might have a winner...............

neato

There are a lot of issues with that sign. It seems as if you overcompensated for a bad layout with a lot of 'digital effects'.

Even with a digital printer, good layout is a must.

I'm only saying this because you asked what we thought.

ZsVinylInc

Is it just me or do the bottom two lines of copy look like they are not centered with the line above? They look like they are more towards the right.

onesmf

I will never fault anyone for honing their craft, but you posted this either for your own self gratification or you sincerely desired feedback on the design for future improvement. If the latter is the case, always remember that you are advertising to passing motorists. Simple, easy to read designs that capture their attention always produce results. The design lacks many of these elements. Sometimes, simple, to-the-point lettering and graphics work the best. Keep it simple concepts overrule software design capabilities. Just because you have the software to design intricate layouts doesn't necessarily translate into easily assimilated advertising. Food for thought. Have a great day!

Jillbeans

I would never store my boat in a place that looked like it was on fire.
The priorities are way off on that sign.
I would have emphasized what they store rather than HEATED in blazing glory.
The typestyle used for STORAGE makes it seem very utilitarian rather than some comfy cushy place to store your toys.
Odd colors, poor contrast.
Love....Jill

Marlene

what do you think of the sign? it would be interesting to hear what about it you think works and why. when we see a layout like this posted and there are so many things about it that just don't work, it might be helpful to know the reasons behind the choices.

Mikeifg

It seems you use alot of different fonts in your work which looses the message. Too cluttered I guess. The ideas are there but sometimes little is better and maybe much simpler effects. Not everything has to look like it goes on a racecar.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Thank you all for the comments, I will certainly take this all into consideration for future projects. Customer asked for this verviage & wanted it stylized, also asked for it to appeal to boatowners (hence the lake), customer also loves it. I can certainly understand the comments... :design:

S

Sign-Man Signs

Don't be dis-hearted on the comments. Most people are here to help. The amount of talent here is mind boggling. I'm sure you thought this was your best work and weren't prepared for all the negative comments. It takes years to learn layout design that works. If your customer is happy with it and you got paid, you've done your job. I don't know how long you've been in the business, but take the replies as a positive. Post some of your designs here when you start you're next project. Most will give you help on design you can't buy.