• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Storefront location

FrankenSigns.biz

If you cant help them then simply take 2 min and say I'm sorry we don't offer that here and move on. .

You hit the nail on the head. There are no "time wasters". We treat everyone with respect and patience. We are polite to those we can not help, and in the end, we have no reason to treat anyone with less than the utmost respect.

Some guy came in on Friday and asked if we printed on paper bags, it just so happened my production manager knew exactly who he should call. They guy was thrilled and thanked us profusely and went on his merry way...

TCBinaflash

I'm here trolling for the first time in awhile, sold my old business and opening one closer to home. This is all good advice.

mark galoob

i have to agree, that location location location was the top 3 items in my "success plan" for my business plan. one thing ive learned along the way is that the customer is always right...but not everyone is your customer...

Techman

I used to have a sign on the front of this building.
Not any more.
I used to do walk-in traffic. Not any more. In fact my vinyl cutter hasn't seen a real cutting job in months. Simply got tired of listening to the "I can get it done cheaper blah blah".
My cnc shop is around the back in a commercial garage and people find me all the time. However those people are pre-screened and ready to buy because they have to search out my location via word of mouth. I get all the work I want and there is no local advertising going on here.

This seems to verify what others are saying.
Do good work and they will seek you out.
Walkin retail trade is good if you want it but works best in a high visible retail location.
Higher profit stuff works good but is best in a commercial location dealing with business to businesses.

It all comes down to how the business model is defined. That will dictate what type of building to look for.

artofacks1

Very interesting, I always thought a highly visible , high traffic location was the best.

I never knew that walk ins were not preferred. What other forms of marketing do you guys do to grab business?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Very interesting, I always thought a highly visible , high traffic location was the best.

I never knew that walk ins were not preferred. What other forms of marketing do you guys do to grab business?

It all depends on your model. High visibility will bring 'em in. It'll bring 'em ALL in. It will bring in interested parties, tire kickers, cheapskates, mother's dragging 4 little ones, talkers, shoppers, people who can't speak what's on their mind, people just passing the time of day, people wanting to use the bathroom and competition. Now, keep in mind, it will pull more interested possibles than anything else, so it generally makes up for all the unwanted people, but there's one important elemnt you need regardless of where you're located. You need a good product. :thumb:

Okay, not all successful sign shops sell good products, but that's like any kinda business. How can you have a Pizza Shop on three outta four corners at an intersection...... and they all do well ??

• Price ??
  • Taste ??
  • Service ??
  • Nice people ??
  • Convenience ??
  • Always too busy and ya hafta wait too long ??
  • Wrong orders ??
  • Special attention ??
  • Bar ??
  • Sodas only ??
  • Location, location, location ??

You tell me. Ya gotta have what they want. Some of the best Pizza Shops are tucked away in the back of a shopping center or down under a bridge... and they still have standing room only service with tons of people waiting for their product. That's all it takes. Good product and a reputation to follow.

Forms of marketing to do business is to mingle, ask questions, say hello to everyone and have a card ready to palm off on everybody regardless if they look like a prospect or not. The vast majority of our customers are with us for more than 25 years. Very few drop off and when they come on board, they rarely leave, for good. They might test the waters, but they come back. They like what they got with us and I ain't too proud to say so. :rock-n-roll:

SignManiac

I can assure you that location only helps to a point. My current location is not highly visible, yet I can bet you I am twenty times busier than any shop in town on the main drag. When you earn a good reputation, they will hunt you down and keep you busy enough to kill you. Be careful what you wish for!

ddarlak

Go Bills!
i moved from a very high traffic road where i was renting for $14k a year to a residential dead end street building i purchased that was double the size and business is still great.