• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Storefront Window Graphics

Tony Rome

I have been using Oracal 3165RA for storefront graphics.
For those not familiar, it is a calendared air release material.
I laminate it with Oracal 210 lam.
My question is, should I be using something else for long term use?
For one, I may have to change it in 5-7 years and the 3165 will not be an easy removal.
But it is pretty cost efficient compared to the 3M Ij180.
Is there something else in between I should be looking at?
Do you use something permanent or temporary for windows?
Thanks!

AKwrapguy

I have been using Oracal 3165RA for storefront graphics.
For those not familiar, it is a calendared air release material.
I laminate it with Oracal 210 lam.
My question is, should I be using something else for long term use?
For one, I may have to change it in 5-7 years and the 3165 will not be an easy removal.
But it is pretty cost efficient compared to the 3M Ij180.
Is there something else in between I should be looking at?
Do you use something permanent or temporary for windows?
Thanks!

I say it's pretty much up to the customer. What's in their budget and their needs. If they want something that's going to last longer, better quality it's going to cost more. If they want cheap, it'll be cheap. Just make sure they're aware of all the factors.

Tony Rome

I say it's pretty much up to the customer. What's in their budget and their needs. If they want something that's going to last longer, better quality it's going to cost more. If they want cheap, it'll be cheap. Just make sure they're aware of all the factors.
Thanks, but is the next step up necessarily 3M or is there something more suitable that last long?

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Use cast media/laminate if you want it to last longer.
If your customer doesn't want to pay for quality, you're going to have to decide for yourself if it's worth it and your reputation can withstand the bad-mouthing they're going to do when substandard materials fail. Because they will bad-mouth you- no matter how much you try talk them into using the correct materials, or what disclaimers you make.

Tony Rome

Try Orajet 3551RA, has a better life than 3165 and not as much as the 3951. I put a cast overlam on it.
Either 3M 8519 or Arlon 3220.
Thanks for the suggestions. Just got off the phone with rep and I think I like the Orajet 3169RA, only $50 more than 3165RA for a 54x150 roll same as 3165RA but removable.
Anyone familiar with this material?

AKwrapguy

Thanks, but is the next step up necessarily 3M or is there something more suitable that last long?

So I'm 3M certified and we're a 3M shop, so from my own two cents I would say yes that 3M would be a step up, but in reality it might not be depending on your conditions and overhead. If your happy with Oracal maybe just look at upgrading to their equivalent of 3M IJ180 and see how it works for you. There's nothing inherently wrong with 3M, Oracal, or Avery and all have their pros and cons. Work with what you feel comfortable with and still able to deliver a quality product for a fair price cause at the end of the day it's your shop, your clients and you have to stand behind your work.

CL Visual

IJ180 is total overkill unless your client wants to get the absolute maximum life available. We use Avery 2921ez with 2080 matte lam for most of our windows. It's an air egress film. Stiff enough to make install easy and quick. Removable adhesive. Glass has such a high surface energy, there is no need for permanent adhesive ever.