Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storing Vinyl

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Hip Pocket, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Hip Pocket

Hip Pocket New Member

Sep 21, 2018
    Wisconsin
    Curious how others store their vinyl on their racks. Do you secure the roll with Tape? Clips? Nothing? Other? Thanks!

Tags:
  2. bannertime

bannertime "You guys do banners, right?"

Sep 8, 2016
    Arlington, TX
    Clips for most vinyls. Masking tape if it's short term and no clips available. Poly tubing tucked into the tubes if it's going to sit for a bit.

3. Pixels Are Bad Mmmkay?

Pixels Are Bad Mmmkay? Very Active Member

We buy 1.25" rolls of transfer tape and tape the roll at each end. I also write the type of vinyl on at least one end so I know what kind of vinyl/media it is.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. ExecuPrintGS

ExecuPrintGS Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Hartland, WI
    this is exactly what we do also.

• Like Like x 1
  5. White Haus

White Haus Formally known as RJPW..........

Apr 6, 2018
    Winnipeg
    We use 2" premask with a printed label that indicates whether it's vinyl or laminate, cal or cast, manufacturer/series, where it was purchased from and when it was opened.

We also write the remaining length on media.

Might seem like overkill but it saves a lot of searching and moving rolls around - you can quickly tell what it is and how much is left.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Hip Pocket

Hip Pocket New Member

Sep 21, 2018
    Wisconsin
    I appreciate all the ideas. We bought some Sooper clips but noticed they can scratch the vinyl. So, we've been using application tape to secure the rolls. We also have a color coded label inside the tube (Green=high performance, Yellow=intermediate, Pink=Misc.) with info like manufacturer, reorder number and color...

7. bannertime

bannertime "You guys do banners, right?"

Sep 8, 2016
    Arlington, TX
    Yeah, they can leave marks. I typically push past it. I got tired of the tape because it would leave residue as well. Especially if it sat for awhile. We also write measurements right on the edge of the vinyl.

8. Pixels Are Bad Mmmkay?

Pixels Are Bad Mmmkay? Very Active Member

I just put it all the way at the outermost edges where residue isn't going to cause an issue.

9. TXFB.INS

TXFB.INS Very Active Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Lone Star State
    we create our own media tags from scrap PVC substrate, to save time they are shaped like a triangle instead of the T shape like you buy.
    once done either throw it away and get another scrap or cover up the information and reuse

we use either a low tac application tape, wrap around the media so the tape is sticking to itself. or we use rubber bands.

10. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    Plain hair scrunchies. No marks, no residue, no nothing. Mount the roll on the input shaft then roll the scrunchie off to the side and leave it on the shaft. When done roll the scrunchie back on the vinyl and dismount the roll.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ewded

ewded Member

Aug 28, 2017
    UK
    +1 for the transfer tape. Tried clips but they leave an indent if stays on for more than a couple of days. And always store in plastic bag to keep the adhesive moist.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ddarlak

ddarlak Trump Hater

20181016_094255.jpg

13. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

1" application tape. Always keep it by every machine that runs vinyl. Most of the vinyl we buy has a label inside the core, so have never found a need for labeling.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. jfiscus

jfiscus Map Wraster

Apr 2, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    We use double-sided velcro strips cut to about 18" long, they fit any size roll and even hold Phototex rolled up tight so it doesn't tunnel.

• Like Like x 2
  15. SoCalN8V

SoCalN8V Premium Subscriber

.We also do this. Never an issue with scratches.