• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Storing Vinyl

Hip Pocket

Curious how others store their vinyl on their racks. Do you secure the roll with Tape? Clips? Nothing? Other? Thanks!

bannertime

Clips for most vinyls. Masking tape if it's short term and no clips available. Poly tubing tucked into the tubes if it's going to sit for a bit.

We buy 1.25" rolls of transfer tape and tape the roll at each end. I also write the type of vinyl on at least one end so I know what kind of vinyl/media it is.

Last edited:

White Haus

Not a Newbie
We use 2" premask with a printed label that indicates whether it's vinyl or laminate, cal or cast, manufacturer/series, where it was purchased from and when it was opened.

We also write the remaining length on media.

Might seem like overkill but it saves a lot of searching and moving rolls around - you can quickly tell what it is and how much is left.

Hip Pocket

I appreciate all the ideas. We bought some Sooper clips but noticed they can scratch the vinyl. So, we've been using application tape to secure the rolls. We also have a color coded label inside the tube (Green=high performance, Yellow=intermediate, Pink=Misc.) with info like manufacturer, reorder number and color...

bannertime

Yeah, they can leave marks. I typically push past it. I got tired of the tape because it would leave residue as well. Especially if it sat for awhile. We also write measurements right on the edge of the vinyl.

Yeah, they can leave marks. I typically push past it. I got tired of the tape because it would leave residue as well. Especially if it sat for awhile. We also write measurements right on the edge of the vinyl.

I just put it all the way at the outermost edges where residue isn't going to cause an issue.

TXFB.INS

we create our own media tags from scrap PVC substrate, to save time they are shaped like a triangle instead of the T shape like you buy.
once done either throw it away and get another scrap or cover up the information and reuse

we use either a low tac application tape, wrap around the media so the tape is sticking to itself. or we use rubber bands.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Plain hair scrunchies. No marks, no residue, no nothing. Mount the roll on the input shaft then roll the scrunchie off to the side and leave it on the shaft. When done roll the scrunchie back on the vinyl and dismount the roll.

+1 for the transfer tape. Tried clips but they leave an indent if stays on for more than a couple of days. And always store in plastic bag to keep the adhesive moist.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
20181016_094255.jpg

unclebun

1" application tape. Always keep it by every machine that runs vinyl. Most of the vinyl we buy has a label inside the core, so have never found a need for labeling.

SoCalN8V

Plain hair scrunchies. No marks, no residue, no nothing. Mount the roll on the input shaft then roll the scrunchie off to the side and leave it on the shaft. When done roll the scrunchie back on the vinyl and dismount the roll.

.We also do this. Never an issue with scratches.