• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

strange printing question

CanuckSigns

I've had a strange issue on a job that I print once a year. The local university oncology dept. has a research day where we print student's presentation posters. these are created in powerpoint by the students and saved as either a pdf or a tiff and sent to me.

every year we seem to have 1-2 posters that print with a large black rectangle where there should be text, the preview in versaworks looks fine. I have to end up importing the file into CorelDraw and saving as a different file type.

Does anyone know why it's doing this? it's annyoing that it's so completly random. I've attached photos of the screenshot of what it should look like, and a photo of how it's printing.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 85
  • poster.jpg
    poster.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 74

bulldozer

maybe some sort of clipping mask? i'm really starting to dislike versaworks as a RIP. It's changed fonts on me so many times, and will tell me some files are corrupt when all i do is restart VW and they work.

gabagoo

I guess it shows perfect on your screen. I only see black boxes after I unmask objects, but it is clearly visible on the screen, then I delete the black box and the copy is visible. Mind you I run Flexi and that's a whole issue into itself.

peavey123

Do the Tiffs ever have black boxes as well? or just the PDFs? If the TIFFS do..that's VERY odd.

I try to convert PDF to TIFF whenever possible (rips faster) and I never have problems, but sometimes PDF's do strange things like your example shows.

2B

Do the Tiffs ever have black boxes as well? or just the PDFs? If the TIFFS do..that's VERY odd.

I try to convert PDF to TIFF whenever possible (rips faster) and I never have problems, but sometimes PDF's do strange things like your example shows.

+1

PDF sometimes have hidden layers that PITA when printing starts

CanuckSigns

the picture i posted was of a tiff, i had to convert it to pdf to get it to print properly :frustrated::frustrated:

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
TIFs can do that if they have been saved with ZIP compression sometimes, or if the checkbox for Save Transparency is left on, IIRC.

petepaz

+1

PDF sometimes have hidden layers that PITA when printing starts

+2 we have had this happen also and since you are just taking the customer's artwork and printing it you don't even notice. i usually take the art they send and save it as a jpg so they can approve it to make sure nothing defaulted or dropped out and then when it gets in versa works...BANG big white or black box around some text

dfelty

This is kind of an off topic question, but what material are you using to print the posters? We've always subbed out poster work but would be interested if we can find an affordable material that prints nice with Eco-solvent on our roland. Most of the time customers want short runs of 6 or less and the company we deal with has a 25 poster minimum. Get requests often enough that it might be worth keeping a roll on hand for short runs. Thanks in advance.

TXFB.INS

+2 we have had this happen also and since you are just taking the customer's artwork and printing it you don't even notice. i usually take the art they send and save it as a jpg so they can approve it to make sure nothing defaulted or dropped out and then when it gets in versa works...BANG big white or black box around some text

Got to love VW some times, ALTHOUGH it is better than Flexi with regarding to RIPPING files.
can't count the number of times had to correct jobs that Flexi screwed up

dhawkes

Wide Format Fan
PDF issue

Hello,

I checked with some of our Tech Support experts, and they suggested that Tiff (raster data) would not typically present this problem. On PDF, however, if there is special ‘effect’, different layers used on the powerpoint, etc., then it can create issue.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

David Hawkes
Group Product Manager, Signs & Textile
Roland DGA

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Maybe the NSA is redacting unauthorized sections of the text on the fly......

wayne k
guam usa

Christian @ 2CT Media

Save the tiff without transparency and that should go away... we occasionally have that issue with Tiffs created in CS6+ Photoshop RIPping in ONYX 10.2.5