• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Streaking / Banding?

c.march

I need a little bit of help trying to identify what could cause this. Hopefully the images show the issue well enough. We noticed some streaking or banding but it's not consistent. So I didn't think it was feed banding. It looks like something else. I printed via a pdf that was supplied.

also on a side note, there appear to be a lot of fisheye or bubbles. Not sure how to solve those either. I had read online something about heater adjustments??
IMG_1924.jpg
IMG_1922.jpg
IMG_1923.jpg

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Looks like you ned a good cleaning and cut back on your ink. It looks over-saturated.... or the wrong profiles.

c.march

What machine are you using?
Sorry I forgot that part. We're using a Roland Truevis VG540

looks like banner we had with a plasticizer issue. if its latex, try using the wiper roller supplied with the printer.
As far as I know the ink is their eco friendly line

streaking is more fun when you band together with friends
ha, depends on the type of friends...

Looks like you ned a good cleaning and cut back on your ink. It looks over-saturated.... or the wrong profiles.
I had just done a manual cleaning on the machine, as for the profiles... I've not been able to locate a profile for the substrate that we were printing on. The substrate is Trisolve 3683. Adhesive poster paper. I've looked on the roland site under their profiles.

OADesign

I need a little bit of help trying to identify what could cause this. Hopefully the images show the issue well enough. We noticed some streaking or banding but it's not consistent. So I didn't think it was feed banding. It looks like something else. I printed via a pdf that was supplied.

also on a side note, there appear to be a lot of fisheye or bubbles. Not sure how to solve those either. I had read online something about heater adjustments??

1) Regarding streaking: Thoroughly clean your encoder strip with 70 or 90% isopropyl alcohol.
2) Regarding fisheyes: Check profile. Are you using a media specific? Or generic? Try the generic for the that media type (E.g. Generic Banner 1, Generic Vinyl 1) Or for the paper, I use Roland DGA SGP: Solvent Glossy Paper
Post your results.

If those don't solve most of your issues: As other have mentioned back off on the heat a bit. But on the paper you may need it to make sure the ink is not tacky when it hits the take up reel (assuming your image is that long).

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Looks too even and too widespread to all be contamination. Contamination is a possibility, but seems unlikely at this point with his saying he's not using a proper profile.

c.march

Try SGPA, it's for that very product. Otherwise, try GPPM.
Are these profiles I can look for on the profile media center? I see that roland sells a paper that matches that acronym.

1) Regarding streaking: Thoroughly clean your encoder strip with 70 or 90% isopropyl alcohol.
2) Regarding fisheyes: Check profile. Are you using a media specific? Or generic? Try the generic for the that media type (E.g. Generic Banner 1, Generic Vinyl 1) Or for the paper, I use Roland DGA SGP: Solvent Glossy Paper
Post your results.

If those don't solve most of your issues: As other have mentioned back off on the heat a bit. But on the paper you may need it to make sure the ink is not tacky when it hits the take up reel (assuming your image is that long).
1. I've not done that, Probably should give that a whirl.
2. The profile is the Generic paper profile.
3. we don't use our take-up reel but yea it's 96"

surface contamination on the substrate
I had done some reading on that, was also a thought of mine.

Looks too even and too widespread to all be contamination. Contamination is a possibility, but seems unlikely at this point with his saying he's not using a proper profile.

Thank you everyone thus far on this issue.

zspace

Premium Subscriber

also on a side note, there appear to be a lot of fisheye or bubbles. Not sure how to solve those either. I had read online something about heater adjustments?? View attachment 140487 View attachment 140485 View attachment 140486

Bad vinyl - we've had it happen a number of times on vinyl and banner material. If it's a new roll of material then reach out to your supplier about it and ask them to replace the roll from a different lot number.

Jlcaudle

I have the VG540 and I had trouble with profiles until I bought an i1 and started creating my own profiles in house. It really brought my equipment together and prints beautifully now. I profile every media I use. I kept putting off getting one due to the expense but finally just decided to get it over with. What software are you using for design? I have Flexisign cloud version and if you need any profiles I may have I will send them over.

Have you had any problems with the VG missing cut paths and or not completing the cuts? At this time I have had on going problems like that and a tech is here right now working on mine. This is the 3rd time a tech has been sent.

fastmax

also on a side note, there appear to be a lot of fisheye or bubbles. Not sure how to solve those either. I had read online something about heater adjustments?? View attachment 140487 View attachment 140485 View attachment 140486

possibly heat settings try printing cold and see if its better or worse, i run everything super hot but certain material doesnt like it

M D Gourley

Had the fisheye bubbles or something similar myself a while back on a new roll of PVC banner media and as the new media roll is tightly wound and sticks on itself there could be an electrostatic charge when the roll is unwound when pulled through the printer....so I usually roll out the media out the back of my VP540....I have also wiped the surface with IPA and a lint free cloth previously with great results.

Bly

Probably too much ink if you don't have a proper profile for that media.
Dark greens will show that the most.
Does everything look too dark or just about right?
If it doesn't look too dark overall it might be faulty media.

hand851

Roland Mutoh & Mimaki inks digiprint-parts.com
Fish eyes are usually caused by temperature. Either too hot or not hot enough.
As far as the banding what does you test print (nozzle check) look like?
If good switch to unidirectional and see if it goes away.
If it does machine may need a service tech to re-register the bi directional.

c.march

I just ran another test this morning and the Roland DGA SGP: Solvent Glossy Paper profile did the trick for the fisheye issue. I did a feed calibration this morning to set it but hadn't done another test but so far the results were much improved.

c.march

So I just did another print today on this same Trisolv adhesive back poster paper. The results had streaks again. I was using the DGA SGP profile that I downloaded a few weeks back. The streaking went away though when I ran the print using the Roland Generic paper profile. Though it's got tons of fisheye's. I would really like to learn how to fine tune a profile but I fear it's just a waste of our shop time and money.

c.march

Ok, I did some more googling and was able to locate the correct paper profile. OMG what a difference. Thank you everyone for suggestions.