• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Stripped head on screw while changing head on xc540, what now?

CarNate69

You're right, vise-grips are WAY too big. Good luck with your head replacement.

So nieve to think that a pair of vice grips will be able to grip a bolt this small and be able to remove it under that much pressure.

Of course it will hold the bolt, but remove it? Don't think so.

MachServTech

A quick quote from the "About" section of Stickercutting.com

"Just a little about us!

What do you get when you have an owner with a Business Management degree from West Virginia University with a passion for graphic design and quality vinyl graphics? You guessed it, an a$$ muppet!"

-edited for truth.

happy scrapbooking.com!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You made mention several times that the authorized Roland tech did the same thing on another machine. How did he rectify that problem ?? Possibly you could duplicate how he fixed it, since you duplicated how he created it ??

Also, I'd suggest dropping the attitude down a notch or two if you want to continue searching for help.

Robert M

Screws

Those small machine screws are very soft and do fail quickly. I wonder how much money is saved by using such soft metals. One thing to do if you are going to work on this equipment is to invest in some quality #1 and #2 philips head screw drivers, they make a difference. I think it is Mimaki that actually tells you how many times you can chance a part before you must also change out the screws that hold that part in place.

signage

If the Roland Tech stripped one and did not replace it I would think that he was not a trained/taught service Tech! So if you can not figure out how to remove this you are the one not knowing and must have learned from an untrained person/tech!

Mason

Fly me to W.Virginia I'll fix it for ya. Cost about a hundred bucks plus parts and travel expenses. :)

Hi, i have encounter the same problem as yours, the technician broke the fiber holder of the head and this make the screws easy to remove after removing the plastic under the screws.Hope this will still help you. take care..

edgardosilverio99

ratchet

I've successfully drilled out stripped screws on a cell-phone (#00 phillips), so I wouldn't knock the idea too much.

Anything can be done with enough time, patience, skill, and/or money ;)

If you think vice-grips are too aggressive, try a hemostat.

I'll admit that I have no idea what the head on xc540 looks like, but if you show me a photo of what you're dealing with (and which screw is stripped), I may be able to offer better advice.

GTSTech_1

Not sure if the problem was solved. You might want to look under the print carriage.....what do you see? You would see the bottom of the 3 screws that secure the head, something the visegrips can get a hold of.

My .02

GTSTech_1

PS- For the record, Roland doesn't train us on "Stripped Screw Removal".