• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Stripped head on screw while changing head on xc540, what now?

CarNate69

These bolts are so sensitive to being stripped. Well, I have stripped one of the small screw heads that hold in the head. Does anyone have any advice on how to get the head out with the stripped bolt?

What's the easiest method to get the head out? Has anyone stripped one? This one is really rounded off. It seems to be very common as my Roland tech stripped one before on my other printer.

Thanks.

CarNate69

I'm not sure what a clearance drill is? To get a drill bit in there around the other heads, would be nearly impossible without doing damage?

Have you done this technique before on an actual roland machine, or is this just a random recommendation?

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
These bolts are so sensitive to being stripped. Well, I have stripped one of the small screw heads that hold in the head. Does anyone have any advice on how to get the head out with the stripped bolt?

What's the easiest method to get the head out? Has anyone stripped one? This one is really rounded off. It seems to be very common as my Roland tech stripped one before on my other printer.

Thanks.

While I don't wrangle a Roland, thankfully, I have dealt with my share of damaged fasteners. I assume from your post that you have somehow damaged the head and not the actual threaded shaft. That being the case, what kind of drive is this screw? Common, Phillips, hex, allen, Torx, what? Each one has its own technique for removal. Allen and Torx are the easiest, common and Phillips are the hardest, hex is somewhere in the middle.

Can you access all around the damaged head or is it hard to get to?

Why is the head damaged? Did you try to remove it without sufficient down force and the tool slipped, is it a cheap Asian made fastener that nerf tools would damage, or is the fastener too tight for its drive size?

JimJenson

Without knowing the exact location, type, and thickness of what it is the bolt holds down it is tough to give advice on removal.

However, I will say that a bolts tightness is achieved by the pressure of the head to the piece it is holding down. What that means is that in many cases, you can drill off the head (like of a Phillips or Torque) and the shank and thread will come out by your fingers alone. So if the bolt has a 3mm shank (and/or thread) you can drill the head with a 4MM drill until the head pops off. Then remove whats being bolted down, and you will be left with a 3mm stud to remove by hand or pliers.

Another technique I have used is to use a left hand drill, and once the drill is started, a popping motion will sometimes grab the head and back it out.

Another method is if the bolt in accessible, use a dremel and carve a screwdriver slot in the head and remove.

A good welder can sometimes tig an Allen wrench on the stripped head.

Last resort is an easy out. They break easily, and if you bust an easyout, you are basically screwed. You will never drill High speed steel with a hand drill.

If the thread is damaged but not the head, helli-coil or keensert the hole.

CarNate69

I see that no one here has changed a head on a roland and knows what I am talking about, lol.

Thanks for the advice though, but unfortunately most of these really don't help in this situation. It's much more technical as the head on the bolt is incredibly small. Even a cutting wheel on a dremel, is nearly as wide as the head of the whole bolt.

CarNate69

Since many people will read this post later on, please don't use any of the recommendations above (except the dremel tool, which MAY work but is still very very aggressive for this job), they will not work for the job at hand.

Some of these recommendations are absurb and shows that no one has experience in print head swapping, but posted anyways? Disappointing to say the least. Time to solve the issue on my own.

signage

Why don't you supply a photo of what you are talking about! There are many ways to extract a broken screw/bolt but without actually seeing what you are dealing with is hard to advise!

I think that SE signs supply has done this many times being a Rolland dealer!

SE SignSupply

Since many people will read this post later on, please don't use any of the recommendations above (except the dremel tool, which MAY work but is still very very aggressive for this job), they will not work for the job at hand.

Some of these recommendations are absurb and shows that no one has experience in print head swapping, but posted anyways? Disappointing to say the least. Time to solve the issue on my own.

If you know so much about printhead changes why did you strip the screw out to start with? Furthermore, why did you need advise from us common folk on how to remove the said screw?

:thumb:

CarNate69

Why did you recommend vise grips to remove a bolt thats not even possible to be gripped with vice grips, if you represent roland and seemingly should know how to fix the issue because of this representation? Seems quite the same. Anyone that has actually changed a head, knows exactly what screws I am talking about.

These bolts are incredibly easy to strip, especially when doing multiple adjustments on them. My roland tech stripped one, but didn't try to use vice grips to remove it, lol!

This forum never fails to amaze me, there are about 4 knowledgeable people on it, the rest make up stuff to 'try' but really don't have any experience on the issue. This post is so true of this too; very unfortunate that wrong information can be given out.

MachServTech

This forum never fails to amaze me, there are about 4 knowledgeable people on it, the rest make up stuff to 'try' but really don't have any experience on the issue. This post is so true of this too; very unfortunate that wrong information can be given out.

First...you have got to be kidding me. With an attitude like that nobody here should help you.

Second....you are untrained...and an idiot.

Third. If you stripped it out then you should take some of JimJensons suggestions:

"Another technique I have used is to use a left hand drill, and once the drill is started, a popping motion will sometimes grab the head and back it out.

Another method is if the bolt in accessible, use a dremel and carve a screwdriver slot in the head and remove.

A good welder can sometimes tig an Allen wrench on the stripped head.

Last resort is an easy out. They break easily, and if you bust an easyout, you are basically screwed. You will never drill High speed steel with a hand drill.

If the thread is damaged but not the head, helli-coil or keensert the hole."

All of which should be done on the bench, or at the very least after the carriage has been cleared of all other printheads, cables and inklines.
but then again if you weren't untrained and an idiot...you would have already done it.

good luck ass muppet

go hire a real tech.

CarNate69

Hiring a real tech resulted in my head bolt being stripped on my other printer, even though he was "properly trained". This is why I am doing it myself from this point forward. I apparently, being self trained is as good as being properly trained in this case.

J Hill Designs

Hiring a real tech resulted in my head bolt being stripped on my other printer, even though he was "properly trained". This is why I am doing it myself from this point forward. I apparently, being self trained is as good as being properly trained in this case.

all you really need to do is use the proper tool for the job - correct screwdriver (or apparent lack thereof) for a small screw is definitely the problem.

sounds like you were not the correct tool.

SE SignSupply

You're right, vise-grips are WAY too big. Good luck with your head replacement.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 71