• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Stripping old banners

TammieH

I need as much people to chime in as quick as possible

Trying to get my boss to understand that it would be better for us if we purchased new pre sewn 36" x 96" banners

at $24 each versus stripping at least 6 year old banners and applying new vinyl. 15-20 banners

I am guessing maybe 1 - 2 hours per banner if the adhesive stays, plus consumables, they may be easier ...depending on the material.

J Hill Designs

shouldn't need any explanation.

$25 (new material) vs possible $200+ (labor to strip) AND a crappy old product should speak volumes in and of itself

Biker Scout

This isn't the first time your cheap boss has had you do ridiculous corner cutting projects. When will she learn?

Biker Scout

Besides, no matter how well you clean, you'll always be able to see the ghosted letters. They will also kind of raise the banner material upon pulling off, like embossing. Plus, since the banner was protected from the UV light of the sun, it will look newer and cleaner under the letters. Glaringly so.

The other method is to actually strip one down. Struggle, and fuss with it like in an infomercial. But make sure you time yourself, so he can see that 30-45 minutes times 20 banners just really isn't cost effective.

Biker Scout

I should mention that $25 is twice as much as you should be paying for a pre-sewn banner. A 13oz, 3x8 banner from Betty Banner is only $12.95 at that qty. (10oz is only $9.73) This is a no brainer.

people are still doing vinyl on banners? wow, I only would do a date in vinyl that would need to be changed say every year or something. even then i would print everything else.

2B

since your boss is all about the $$$, go to signs2trade. They are a MM here and can do a full color (with edge bleed) delivered to you for cheaper than you buying blanks and then applying the graphics.

have tried stripping old vinyl off and it looks like POO-POO, banners are too cheap to re-use

ddarlak

Go Bills!
the fact that he even considers doing this is ridicules, the man can't nor should be helped.

is it in your job description to babysit your boss?

you can't teach stupid

Biker Scout

Despite people's laziness, there are many times where a vinyl lettered banner is far superior to a printed one. Yes, it takes a bit of extra labor. But they usually last longer, are far bolder and you can do things more inexpensively, like have a solid color, like a black banner with bright spot colors and foils that digitally printing can't touch. And if you want to go even more old school, a painted banner can last even longer.

Sign Works

Despite people's laziness, there are many times where a vinyl lettered banner is far superior to a printed one. Yes, it takes a bit of extra labor. But they usually last longer, are far bolder and you can do things more inexpensively, like have a solid color, like a black banner with bright spot colors and foils that digitally printing can't touch. And if you want to go even more old school, a painted banner can last even longer.

Thought I was the only one who realized this.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
For the most part, it is a ridiculous request on your boss's part.

We'll remove vinyl for changing a date, price or some reasonable request, but whole entire banners...... ??

First of all, a 6 year old banner has outlived it's life expectancy, unless these are interior banners. If they are interior, you can print [or have them printed] for less than what the labor to remove everything will be.

Bosses don't always think straight, but then they don't have to. That's why we surround ourselves with wonderful employees..... to keep us in line. :Big Laugh

Biker Scout

You know if you say that around here you're likely to get burned at the stake.
Ya' know... I totally understand that. But I really dislike the fact that once people get into digital printing, they think it's the end-all-be-all (panacea) solution. I'm sorry, but it's not. It's just sometimes easy to hit a button, call me old fashioned but I think that's lazy. (I'm probably half as young as most of you fuddy-duddies too... yet I still think this)

Signs-Are-Easy-Button.png