• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Stripping old banners

Marlene

since your boss is all about the $$$, go to signs2trade. They are a MM here and can do a full color (with edge bleed) delivered to you for cheaper than you buying blanks and then applying the graphics.

their banners look great and for just about anything a banner is used for, it works. a banner is a temporary sign just like coroplast so they don't need to last forever.

Despite people's laziness, there are many times where a vinyl lettered banner is far superior to a printed one. Yes, it takes a bit of extra labor. But they usually last longer, are far bolder and you can do things more inexpensively, like have a solid color, like a black banner with bright spot colors and foils that digitally printing can't touch. And if you want to go even more old school, a painted banner can last even longer.​

it has nothing to do with people being lazy. we used to do the higher end banners with hems sewed with matching thread and all the nice stuff. in some cases that is what people want but for the most part, it isn't. they want a banner for a short term event and that pretty much is what a banner is for. we've sold more banners since coming using sign2trade than we have for all the years of making high end, not the least bit lazy banners. there's not a lot of money in them expect for trade shows

fresh

Despite people's laziness, there are many times where a vinyl lettered banner is far superior to a printed one. Yes, it takes a bit of extra labor. But they usually last longer, are far bolder and you can do things more inexpensively, like have a solid color, like a black banner with bright spot colors and foils that digitally printing can't touch. And if you want to go even more old school, a painted banner can last even longer.

Apparently none of your clients have ever heard of the internet.

"What?? How much is that banner?!? I can get the same thing online for $28!" And for the most part, they can. If someone wants a fancy, long term banner and wants to pay $10+ sq ft for it, I'm game. But since we started offering digitally printed banners for less money, not a single person has decided to go with the sturdier, most costly option.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I agree with Marlene and Fresh.
Banners are throw away signage for the most part.
As far as digital vs cut vinyl - both look about the same in the dumpster at the end of a promotion.

wayne k
guam usa

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Apparently none of your clients have ever heard of the internet.

"What?? How much is that banner?!? I can get the same thing online for $28!" And for the most part, they can. If someone wants a fancy, long term banner and wants to pay $10+ sq ft for it, I'm game. But since we started offering digitally printed banners for less money, not a single person has decided to go with the sturdier, most costly option.

Evidently, you haven't heard of giving your customer what they want or ask for, like in the other thread where if they want an inferior product of perf on glass, just give it to them and then replace it every coupla months...... for free. :banghead:

If someone wants a temporary banner, you simply explain to them how much it will cost. If they can find it for $28...... so be it. Thank them for calling and hang up.

We do plenty of in-house digitally printed banners, but they're still not cheap. We don't do 'CHEAP'. You want cheap ?? Go to XY&Z company down the street. We just did a 56" x 120" 17oz. single -sided banner with sewn-webbed hems and grommets, D rings in four corners with die cut vinyl. 5 words, that's all. $932.00 + tax. Is that unusual ?? Nope, We get somewhere between $17 and $22 a square foot. Digitally printed are in the $8 and $10 range for producing and all artwork is added on top. Heck, even a banner up price is around $185. without the stand. $165 with a stand.

You people bickering about not enough money for this or too much time invested for so little money..... ya just need to find better clients or just start a tanning salon. If you can't get customers to pay for what something is really worth, then just hang it up and stop driving the costs down to $28. for a 3' x 8' banner. That's pitiful.

FS-Keith

You have my deepest sympathies if your employer cannot grasp the time/ material concept on something as simple as a banner job. It must be very difficult and aggravating for you to make a buck there with out all the hurdles your boss makes you jump over with simple jobs like this

fresh

Evidently, you haven't heard of giving your customer what they want or ask for, like in the other thread where if they want an inferior product of perf on glass, just give it to them and then replace it every coupla months...... for free. :banghead:

If someone wants a temporary banner, you simply explain to them how much it will cost. If they can find it for $28...... so be it. Thank them for calling and hang up.

We do plenty of in-house digitally printed banners, but they're still not cheap. We don't do 'CHEAP'. You want cheap ?? Go to XY&Z company down the street. We just did a 56" x 120" 17oz. single -sided banner with sewn-webbed hems and grommets, D rings in four corners with die cut vinyl. 5 words, that's all. $932.00 + tax. Is that unusual ?? Nope, We get somewhere between $17 and $22 a square foot. Digitally printed are in the $8 and $10 range for producing and all artwork is added on top. Heck, even a banner up price is around $185. without the stand. $165 with a stand.

You people bickering about not enough money for this or too much time invested for so little money..... ya just need to find better clients or just start a tanning salon. If you can't get customers to pay for what something is really worth, then just hang it up and stop driving the costs down to $28. for a 3' x 8' banner. That's pitiful.

Gino, you are always assuming things. I never once said "I don't laminate perforated vinyl." Go back and check that thread, and perhaps answer the question that I asked with FACT, not opinion.

In this case, you also ASSUME that I sell super cheap banners. Which is also not true...
But since we started offering digitally printed banners for less money
Does not equal CHEAP. I'll make digitally-printed banners all day long because they are quite profitable.
Also, please indicate where I said I sell anything for internet prices. On the contrary, I tell those people to take a hike. Someone called me yesterday to install a banner and said the person who used to do their installs was about 60% less expensive, so I told him go with the other guy! We ain't got time for that bullllllllllllship.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Gino, you are always assuming things. I never once said "I don't laminate perforated vinyl." Go back and check that thread, and perhaps answer the question that I asked with FACT, not opinion.

In this case, you also ASSUME that I sell super cheap banners. Which is also not true...

Does not equal CHEAP. I'll make digitally-printed banners all day long because they are quite profitable.
Also, please indicate where I said I sell anything for internet prices. On the contrary, I tell those people to take a hike. Someone called me yesterday to install a banner and said the person who used to do their installs was about 60% less expensive, so I told him go with the other guy! We ain't got time for that bullllllllllllship.

Sorry fresh..... I only comment on the facts given to me. I really don't presume, assume or guess what you or any other member is thinking. It's all by the facts you write in your posts. You have all the storylines in your head, but that's where they end, while I'm only responding to your story about a $28. banner. Sounded like you run into this quite a bit to have a dialog already to spout off about. Evidently, I took you at your word, when in fact, according to what you just wrote, that was made up. Now the true story comes out.

That's how all these stoopid arguments and p!ssing matches start. Someone makes up a story and others believe it. No one ever calls a foul or anything and then the dumb part of the story is the only part remembered.....not the actual truth.

As for the digital banners aren't cheap ?? How is this so ?? I'm going out on a limb here, but the material most shops use is around 16¢ to 35¢ a square foot. The ink cost is about 20¢ a square foot. Combined, that's not even 55¢ material cost. Tag overhead, profit and whatnot and you're still under a dollar. a 36" x 96" 1-sided banner is only costing about $24.00 for the entire thing. I guess they're adding in $4. for the hem tape and folding it over. That's not cheap, if you have a good market for it. Anything you can crowd on top for profit, art costs or just standard industry bullsh!t is your gravy. However, it is far from a well made banner, by just pushing a button and in 15 minutes it's basically finished.

Now, a little further on...... and a well made 13oz sewn hemmed w/woven hems, grommets, D-rings, die cut vinyl and whatever is gonna cost a whole lot more than your digitally printed vinyl. It should pull in quite a bit more greenbacks. It will easily last 3 or 4 years, if ya don't skimp on the vinyl being used. Get that out of one of your cheapie digital banners.

So, whether a banner is printed on 10oz or 18oz, 1 or 2-sided, it's downright a piece of cheap sign material taped together and made to appear professional.

Again, do you tell the cheapies to take a hike at $28.00 as you first indicated or at $240. for the exact same thing ??

My point is.... cheap is how you are making it and what you're giving your customer, not judged by the price alone.

Ya see, all these internet people are giving thier wares away at a very fair price for what the customer gets and you can't compete, let alone want to, because you can't justify getting high prices and still giving the same product without a a lota double-talk.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Gino, you have major reading comprehension problems. Did you even graduate from High School?

Graduate what ?? High School, is that the new term for weed 101 ??

What's that one word with too many letters discombobulated together properly ??

Lemme take a stab. You have your profile empty, cause you don't have squat and are too afraid of someone finding out who you really are. You're probably an old 'Banned' member from here and weaseled your way back in, huh ?? This is a little more than a hobby, but you act the part well, by posting nonsense and making fun of that which you have no clue about.

I will admit, I misread what some people say from time to time, I even jump the gun on occasion, but you on the other-hand.... you haven't an inkling as to this industry, business or life. You are clueless. Since you're so close, I would invite you to our shop to meet face to face, but frankly, it don't think it would do you or me any good. However, it ya'd like to stop in we can have some drinks, some hot dogs and discuss things in a normal manner. Take it or leave it. It's a genuine offer. No strings attached. I'm sure you will change your tune.

Biker Scout

If you have a semi-professional wide format printer, you cannot make any money on banners doing the whole $1 sq. ft. pricing. But that's the problem with this pricing model. The public has no clue that the guys down the street offering a 3x8 for next to nothing actually have at least a 102" wide printer, using full solvent bulk inks (least expensive), automated welder and grommet punch machines. With this set-up you can get a banner out the door for around $11, their cost. So on paper, $28 - $32 is 65% Gross Margin at 185% markup!

The smaller shops using cartridge inks on their Roland, Mutoh and Mimaki's 64" and under aren't capable of truly competing at $1 sq. ft. The ones who try are just hacks who aren't good at maths, and don't understand the economy of scale also applies to equipment. Invest in larger, faster equipment, brings your overall production costs down.

But the general public has been conditioned by the companies with larger printers to expect to pay less, because they are selling directly to the public at wholesale prices. It screws with the smaller shops.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Stripping old vinyl and adhesive from a banner is just silly especially at that quantity.

Send them out to a wholesale printer and be done with it...