• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

stronger magnetic vinyl?

petepaz

i have a job for a customer to make 3/8" x 3" magnetic nameplates
i think they are using them to identify stock on pallet racks. i gave them samples of .030 mag same as what we use for our vehicle signs and they claim it's not sticking good enough. i think part of the issue is it is so small there is not enough surface area to magnet for a good stick. is there any other magnet available that is stronger?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I've found there to be pretty big differences in brands. Tried many and always come back to Magnum XXXL.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
sometimes you need to abandon magnetic sheeting and just look into some good high quality rare earth magnets that you can mount onto a rigid base plate. probably like a nice piece of thin aluminum or thicker polystyrene. basically something that is light weight but you can perm attach those magnets to.

Clear Choice

Have done a similar job.
Used name badge magnetic backs. Very strong.

Wow, 3/8" isn't much to work with....the name badge magnets
may work and are very strong...but they will need to be
attached/glued by hand...and will make the nameplates stand-off
the surface of the rack a bit. They may be too wide though.

Some of the Home Improvement Stores carry rolls of adhesive
magnetic strips...but that 3/8" width may be a problem. I don't
know if I have seen anything narrower than 1/2".

What about velcro?

I have done a job just like this but my customer was happy with
3.5" x 2" nameplates....large lettering & easier to read across the aisle.
They had the heavy duty industrial shelving with deep edges.
We printed, laminated and attached to the adhesive magnetic
blanks sold to stick on business card backs.
Worked well.

Something else to consider is the metalic content of the shelves.
Take a good strong magnet over and see if the shelves are
the root cause of the poor grip. Or is your customer expecting
too much from such a small piece?

petepaz

thanks for the info folks
i got a sample of .060 magnet. also gave the customer two other options, magnet with adhesive stuck to the shelf and then stick info magnet or velcro.
unfortunately this is going through a broker so i haven't seen the shelving. one of the misfortunes of brokers, alo t of times you don't get to see the end application.