• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Stupid radio people calling

J

john1

Got a call this morning from a local big city radio station, They want to feature my sign business on their website. Sounded alright to me until they said for just $199 a month.

I'm thinking, You called me to feature my business and you want to charge me? No thanks.

Always a catch from these crooks, Just like car dealers.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I know what you're talking about. They have people with such good sounding voices that make you think you're getting the world, until they say.... it's only gonna cost you................

However, when you go to a company advertising you can do work for them and you want to letter their truck or do the front sign..... don't you end it with how much it's gonna cost them ?? :help

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You should. You'd be surprised how many jobs you can generate by 'cold calling'. Not my preferred way, but it definitely works.

Techman

Any company cold calling me gets met with the resounding "CLICK" sound of a phone hanging up.

A cold call at 9AM get listed on the never ever purchase from them list.

A call from a company told to leave me alone gets a Atty General complaint. I am sick of it all.
Their calls have just about ruined the use of the telephone lines we pay for.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Tech..... I'm not talking about random telemarketing for John.

More along the lines if you see a sign in bad repair or a truck that looks bad.... you call them or stop in and ask them if you can be of any service.

Telemarketers are like you said..... scourge of the earth and have ruined the phone lines to the point, without caller ID.... you would be answering calls all day and night long without having any decent conversations. They've flooded the lines.

J

john1

Gino, How do you word a convo out of the blue when calling to say their truck lettering looks poor and you want to do it over for them?

I just don't want to come off as offensive.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Easy.

The truck probably has their phone number and some other identifying information. You google it, find out the person in charge of truck lettering and request to talk to him/her.

When connected, you introduce yourself and tell them you're only going to take two minutes if their time. Then you simply tell them you have some information you'd like to share with them that you believe you can help in their advertising on trucks... and possibly other areas.

If he/she simply say not interested.... you thank them and tell them you will still send them some information.

What did you lose ?? A few minutes googling and a five minute phone call.

If you find enough businesses... say 8 or 10 a week.... you're talking maybe an hours worth of your time at most, but if one comes through.... you might just land a $1,000 month contract..... a $25,000 a year customer and multiply that by however many weeks a year you wanna do that......

If you land a big one.... once a quarter, you'll be flying in no time. Get a few other small ones in there and you're gonna be making a nice living.

Believe me, I still do this and it works.​

When you belong to networking groups, you become real good at talking other professionals into this kinda stuff. It's not always based on price, but how you hold yourself and how knowledgeable you come across. Can this multimillion dollar company trust you with their fleet of trucks, their weekly sign orders or any other stuff they might muster up ??

This is exactly what the radio-guy did to you. He went down a list of sign shops and will continue until someone says... yeah, I want to be associated with these guys... I'll do it for 6 months.

So, you go down your lists of clients you want and start pounding the streets.

Just don't be annoying. Don't call back...... and call back...... and call back if you get some routine brush-offs or people obviously ignoring you. However, I've always said, there's enough work out there and enough to go 'round.... you just have to physically go after it and make YOUR business work, by working it. You will get rejected and this place s101 is a perfect example of how to take your kicks and jabs, not get upset and go right back for what you want. Don't be discouraged if people tell you they're going to report you or just tell you to get lost.... they're not the kind of people you want anyway. You want people like yourself, to make everyone happy.

Baz

I hate telemarketers or sales people just calling wanting to sell me all kinds of stuff i dont need or seem very vague with the details when you start asking questions .. But i do understand the company that employs them. They need to sell in order to make money!

I have done some cold calling before when i was really low on orders. Its not pleasant but, swallow your pride, put on your best positive face and talk to people!