• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

sub-contracting

dynamicdezigns

idk if i can post this here.. i am new to the graphic business. only a year in on my own. didnt have much start up money as everything purchased was cash outta pocket.. was wondering if any "wrap" guys here do sub-contracting with others. i have a few customers wanting race wraps, and i just don't have the money right now to purchase a machine. would like to work out a sub-contracting deal with someone until i get a machine, where i design everything, you just print and ship. if i cant post this, im sorry in advance. message me if interested :)

GypsyGraphics

I think you'll find several merchant members here who do exactly that. Besides, the last thing you want to do is jump in and make a major investment in a printer, only to find out your don't have a steady stream of printing to support such a purchase... not to mention the knowledge and experience required. You could end up sinking your business with an idle printer. Outsourcing is exactly what you should be doing.

I'm curious about your plans for install... outsourcing is an option there as well.

petepaz

I think you'll find several merchant members here who do exactly that. Besides, the last thing you want to do is jump in and make a major investment in a printer, only to find out your don't have a steady stream of printing to support such a purchase... not to mention the knowledge and experience required. You could end up sinking your business with an idle printer. Outsourcing is exactly what you should be doing.

I'm curious about your plans for install... outsourcing is an option there as well.

+1... yeah what Gigi said

TheSnowman

I think most smaller shops sub out the big printing stuff. I own a printer, but I wouldn't ever take on the job of printing a wrap when there are shops set up to do it quicker than me. I can keep making money doing other things that I can do quickly and easily, without plugging up my time and printer on one project that someone else will print for just over what it costs me.

If I were in your shoes (and I once was, but didn't have S101 to learn from yet) I would sub nearly everything out rather than buy new equipment. I started out with the equipment, and had to learn what it could do from there, and it was a struggle to learn everything, and my error rate was pretty high in the beginning. Now, I print lots all day, and I sub out prints all day. It's made my work flow incredibly streamlined and I haven't had to hire new employees.

dynamicdezigns

guess i dont know if you would consider it out-source, or sub-contracting.. guess i have just always considered it subcontracting. im just looking for someone to print race wraps when i need, perf back window vinyl, full color decals, and possibly full color banners. not that i have 100 jobs a month that need this service. i just hate to send potential work off to a competitor, if i possibly could work out a deal, and offer these items myself.

TheSnowman

Use a company that does wholesale only and you don't have to look at them as competition. Sub out the prints, make money doing other stuff that you can handle. There's several Merchant Members on this forum that print that stuff all day long as wholesalers. At great prices.

goforit14

Start small work your way up and smart. I have been doing this for two years now and there's a lot to learn , Focus on getting clients first then invest in machines, a wide format printer will bring in lots but i will take time for it to pay of itself.