• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Subdivision Monument Signs

Nstep007

There is no going door to door for HOA customers - you have to know who you are targeting before you can start knocking. My advice is to start networking with trade groups. Look for a local CAI branch. Join a Builders' group. Look for associations that include property managers in their make-up. This is what our business focuses on - but be prepared. If you want to do the big jobs for an HOA or property manager, you have to be willing to do the little pool signs or other jobs they need to. They definitely want one-stop shopping.
Most dediently, I'm willing to do.some free work if needed. I know some jackwaud thinks I'm looking for a magical answer... and I'm not. I've never done anything like this before, so I didn't know of property management groups, or if there was a directory online for HOAs.... and go out a scrounge up builders... I'm willing to do whatever. Thank you for your response. Much appreciated

equippaint

Magical answer? I'm not scared to do anything... nor am I looking for a magical answer. I'm simply looking for tips, ideas. Any info I can gather. I guess you must think your advice is too good to help someone. Only a ignorant person would think I'm looking for a magical answer....
I guess it takes one to know one. I gave you advice as well as others but you keep asking the same stupid sh*t over and over. Here's another tip: go read a book. Guerrilla Selling is one and how to win friends and influence people is another.
I think that you fail to realize that most successful people on here have spent time in the trenches developing their business. They have knocked on doors, developed their own strategy and have figured out how to do this on their own. You want much more than most people will give you. You're asking people to divulge their sales strategy that has taken them much time to fine tune and post it for the whole world to see. Most are ok giving basic pointers (and many here already have) but your expectation is for someone to lay it all out on the table so you can skip this long and difficult process. There is no secret in running a printer, weeding vinyl, sandblasting signs etc etc. Customer names, pricing and marketing strategy are the things people tend to keep close to their chest.

Nstep007

Eh I suppose. My business is already very successful... I'm just wanting to do some other things. In use to helping, and receiving help. Not use to this I guess. But hey. Thanks for the pointers and have a great day man!!!!

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I just pulled up a website from a subdivision I used to live in... Says right there the name of the board members and their phone number.

visual800

The subdivison I posted earlier in this post had a facebook page. I will tell you this I was dealing with some dude that (like most in HOA) had no interest in my sign package, not very responsive. However I did find a chick and she went apecrap over the improvement! She really got the ball rolling. You are going to meet some slacka$$es in HOA

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
The subdivison I posted earlier in this post had a facebook page. I will tell you this I was dealing with some dude that (like most in HOA) had no interest in my sign package, not very responsive. However I did find a chick and she went apecrap over the improvement! She really got the ball rolling. You are going to meet some slacka$$es in HOA

And some power hungry no body's who think they can put you in prison if you don't remove your yard gnome

Johnny Best

Most dediently, I'm willing to do.some free work if needed. I know some jackwaud thinks I'm looking for a magical answer...

Hey, a little respect...

Attachments

• jackwaud.jpg
    jackwaud.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 172

ams

Hey guys! I kinda new to the forum. Although I've lerked for a long time. I'm wanting to get into business signage, subdivision entrance signs etc. Wood, foam pretty much. I have 2 Cnc routers and up until now, I have just been doing small jobs and craft shows.

As driving around recently, I notice more and more business either needing signage, or needing there signs replaced. I have a small warehouse/shop, it's not really a store front.

But how would a new guy like myself go about drumming up new business? Leave a detailed quote at the door? Who is the contact for subdivision signs? I'm sure it's someone at the home owner association, but how do you find them?

Also on pricing, i know it's been asked a gazillion times... but is there a rule of thumb? I want to be competitive, but I don't want to work for free.

Any advice would me MUCH appreciated

First of all, HOA's are a pain in the ass to deal with. Try to avoid them if possible. Generally in my experience they want the cheapest price they can get and want the most flawless sign without a single issue. Be ready for some headaches.

Second, avoid advertising. TV, Radio and Newspaper is worthless in the sign industry. I don't advertise and if I did, I'd be working 20 hour days. I have so much business from word of mouth, a good website and reputation. When you do everything correctly and go above and beyond what the customer wants, they recommend you to everyone. Also when you make a mistake, own up to it, take the loss and move on. Don't argue and try to avoid the issue, they will get pissed off and your reputation will sink. So no need to go hand out flyers and going door to door isn't good because there are no soliciting laws in place to prevent that.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I've been working with Steering Committees, HOA's and other organizations for a long long time. I find nothing difficult nor a pain in the a$$ with any of them, other than some of their timeframes. Churches, school districts, sports complexes, fire companies, municipalities...... they're all the same. What thier main complaints are is kinda what ams was just saying..... they find it hard to work with many sign shops due to their inept and non-business like methods.

Many of the members here are rather peculiar and I would venture to say 85% of them are speaking from opinions, more than experience. You can tell from the off the wall posts/answers. Those you find you agree with, are most likely in the same boat as you and don't know any better, while the more seasoned or educated posters, seem to be the ones who hit ya between the eyes with both barrels.

Finding these committees and whatnot, is not easy. Finding someone who works closely with you and you can eventually trust, might get ya in the door. Y'all hafta start somewhere, but getting in to do big expensive signs for developments and such takes time and a great reputation.

However, insulting the very people you sought out to help you, won't get ya anywhere..... with anyone.

visual800

Ask the local real estate agents?

yes sir on most new neighborhood developments they will have a specified realtor and THEY have all info you will need and they will get ball rolling. They want that place looking good so they can move homes

Bigdawg

Just Me
I have to agree with Gino - I don't find HOAs or Property Managers a PITA at all. And rarely do they go for the cheapest option we provide. The big thing (for us) is to give them some options and having the patience to wait while the approval goes through 22 different committees.