• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions and critiques welcome

Guerilla Signs

I am working on a re-brand for a gas station. The name is Ricks 66 and they have always been a Phillips 66 station but now are leaving the Phillips brand. They would like to incorporate the name into the design. The starting point Idea they gave me was "something along the lines of the Route 66 emblem." I started there and have that option but also have this I am going to offer to them as an option.

I am looking to learn and would like to have some from some of the veteran here.

Thanks

Matt

Attachments

• Ricks 66.jpg
    Ricks 66.jpg
    685.1 KB · Views: 143

Dan Antonelli

As Craig suggested the panel shape is becoming the dominant element, not the name itself. Try and build the panel around the typography in a way that it's more a design component rather than the central component. I think you may be trying to integrate too many automotive elements into the panel - maybe try and focus on one, which should give the viewer an indication of the nature of the business.

We do an awful lot of retro-themed branding. Here's a link to some examples which might help better illustrate what I mean above. http://www.graphicd-signs.com/portfolio-logo-retro

John Butto

"will the real Rick please stand up"
Friend was over watching the Saints/Dallas game last night, so I drew a quick sketch of him and added a baseball cap.
This morning threw some watercolor on him and gave him a logo. Think that I will do a qouache of him for later use.

Jillbeans

I was taught to never arch caps and lower case lettering. Maybe try it in all caps with a slumped-in bottom.
66 is too weak and skinny.
I see no need for the city name, especially how you've placed it.
Love....Jill

Marlene

the Phillips 66 logo is simple and looks like a road sign. I can see you not doing a knock off of it but there is way too much going on for no reason in the logo, flags, sunbursts and more. it just seems to way over done and too complex for what it is. maybe work on a shape and instead of planking it on a rectangle panel, make the shape the sign. also as much as I hate italic letters or script, it seems like having the name like a signature in either with a simple 66 would be better

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
As previously noted by many, way too much decoration and not enough message.

Typographically, upper and lower text should not be arched and arched text generally is not harmonious with other text in italics. Moreover the micro-text at the bottom serves no purpose other than to give the finger to an already dubious design.

The color choice is whelming. Something like a graffiti bandit would do if it were down to its last two spray cans. Red and black can be effective but not how you've done it.

toucan_graphics

I am NOT a fan of using red and black next to each other..... it is a design no-no. Rethink it and at the very least don't trap red & black together. I also agree that the micro-print under the 66 should be eliminated entirely - folks who stop there for gas won't be able to read that part so CERTAINLY nobody driving by at 35, 45 or 55 mph will read it either. On signage, folks who are there to see it will already know they are in Podunk Missouri and on busniess cards or other advertising, the address will likely be printed somewhere on it anyway.

With that being said you could make this design work better if you made the name the focal point. I've done a 2 minute mock-up that IMO improves it slightly.

I made the name larger and more defined while bringing the checkered flags up to hug the name (further drawing the eye to the name)

This by no means perfect or even proof-ready but gives you an idea what might work better.

Ricks 66.jpg Ricks.jpg
........... original ......... modified

J Hill Designs

I wonder why you so adamantly say NOT to use red next to black, but then propose a design where you do exactly that?

I am NOT a fan of using red and black next to each other..... it is a design no-no. Rethink it and at the very least don't trap red & black together. I also agree that the micro-print under the 66 should be eliminated entirely - folks who stop there for gas won't be able to read that part so CERTAINLY nobody driving by at 35, 45 or 55 mph will read it either. On signage, folks who are there to see it will already know they are in Podunk Missouri and on busniess cards or other advertising, the address will likely be printed somewhere on it anyway.

With that being said you could make this design work better if you made the name the focal point. I've done a 2 minute mock-up that IMO improves it slightly.

I made the name larger and more defined while bringing the checkered flags up to hug the name (further drawing the eye to the name)

This by no means perfect or even proof-ready but gives you an idea what might work better.

View attachment 94257 View attachment 94256
........... original ......... modified

toucan_graphics

I wonder why you so adamantly say NOT to use red next to black, but then propose a design where you do exactly that?

Honestly, because I was too lazy to change the colors. I literally spent about 2 minutes moving things around. My modification was intended for layout & placement - not color use. Perhaps tomorrow, if time permits I'll work on a Jill-worthy suggestion.

forty9

Huh?

So I recently got a set of logos from a customer to put on a race car wrap, and this was included...

I thought..."I feel like I have seen this before."

So....Guerilla Signs... did someone steal this from you, or...

My guess is that it is just a stock panel, and if that is the case, Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where I can find it to save myself a bunch of redraw time!

Attachments

• ricks.png
    ricks.png
    46.9 KB · Views: 88

Guerilla Signs

So I recently got a set of logos from a customer to put on a race car wrap, and this was included...

I thought..."I feel like I have seen this before."

So....Guerilla Signs... did someone steal this from you, or...

My guess is that it is just a stock panel, and if that is the case, Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where I can find it to save myself a bunch of redraw time!

I don't know about the one you show but I did mine from scratch in Corel X6. It is one of a few options for I have been working on for this station. Still working with them on options and will find something that fits them.

neato

I am NOT a fan of using red and black next to each other..... it is a design no-no.

Not sure where you read that, but it's just not true. Red on black together isn't very legible, and so shouldn't be used for any main copy, but they go well together otherwise in backgrounds and accents. Not everything has to "JUMP" off the sign/page, just the important parts. :)

player

Yes like a billboard with red letters with a fat black outline or shadow. From a distance the red and black can blend together and make it hard to read.

I think it has to something to do with hue.

Hue is one of the main properties of a color, defined technically (in the CIECAM02 model), as "the degree to which a stimulus can be described as similar to or different from stimuli that are described as red, green, blue, and yellow,"[SUP][1][/SUP] (the unique hues). The other main correlatives of color appearance are colorfulness, chroma, saturation, lightness, and brightness.
Usually, colors with the same hue are distinguished with adjectives referring to their lightness and/or colorfulness, such as with "light blue", "pastel blue", "vivid blue".

Locals Find!

So, you claim to have drawn this from scratch yet another party in another state ended up with an identical panel.

Humm, I think I know where my worm went.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, you claim to have drawn this from scratch yet another party in another state ended up with an identical panel.

Humm, I think I know where my worm went.

:ROFLMAO:..... a prime example of the pot calling the kettle black................ :Big Laugh

You've been served when Addie has it right !!

Marlene

forty9, did you get that logo sent to you after the OP's original post date? if teh OP rally did do this from scratch and forty9 just got this, could someone been dumb enough to copy this? if not, then why isn't the OP pi$$ed off that his original artwork has been stolen? just wondering as they are the same. just different fonts

forty9

I received the email on Oct 21st which was before the original poster's post date.

You can find the same logo on this website. http://www.moretraction.com/Ricks.htm

I know there is a way to find out when that website was uploaded, but I don't remember how to do it. Maybe someone else does.

I don't care who is right and who was wrong...I just know, I highly doubt either one of these guys created the logo. I'm sure it is a stock panel that both copied and put their respective business names in there.

I'm sure we have all used stock panels in our day for certain things, I just can figure out why in the world you would use one, and then present it as a original work on a logo design forum.