• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions for a Laminator

Sign_Something

Hi guys. I finally have my new to me solvent printer up and running. I already have a few orders coming in for some wraps. I quickly learned that wrapping without lamination sucks. So now Im in the market for a laminator. I have looked at many online and the prices are all over the place. Does anyone have any advice on these? Im a small shop and I will mostly be doing small jobs but my printer is capable of doing up to 64 inch widths so Id like to get a laminator to match that. Should I just get something cheap for now to learn on or is this a case of "you get what you pay for"?

Vinylman

Laminator

I have a Royal Sovereign Laminator 64" with Heat/ cold settings. I bought this new a number of years ago, and due to a major shift in business direction barely used it. I have had several health issues lately, and am in need of immediate cash to help my family through a rough spot. I will sell this well maintained and hardly used laminator for $4000/ OBO.

I paid over $7000 when originally purchased as part of a package deal with a 64" printer and a 64" plotter.

It was fitted with EVERY OPTION available at the time. Front and Rear motorized take-up reels, Roll around H/D Stand, rear cutter, foot controls and also a remote control to allow you to walk around the machine whilst it was running.
Everything is in wonderful condition.
Ready to work.
Contact me through Private Message here on Signs 101, and we can discuss if you want.

Attachments

• 2012-12-07 16.44.43.jpg
    2012-12-07 16.44.43.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 180
  • 2012-12-07 16.46.14.jpg
    2012-12-07 16.46.14.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 168
  • 2012-12-07 16.49.04.jpg
    2012-12-07 16.49.04.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 194

player

I would rather have a lesser machine that is brand new over a used machine where the rollers may be suspect. It's all about the rollers baby!

netsol

but not too much of a lesser machine

when i was considering a laminator, a girl from a local supplier convinced me that when i would be usong the laminator, my job would be all but done & too cheap a laminator would lead to throwing away a completed job (nothing left to do but write the bill)

maybe i was just lucky with my used machine

jmcnicoll

In my opinion don't go cheap! Get a laminator with at least 6" straight rollers, they do a far better job than smaller crowned rollers.
Also a take up for the finished product is a must have when doing full rolls, so much nicer to deal with than letting them all go onto a table.

AGL, Seal, and GBC all make nice lamintors if your willing to pay for them.

Dennis422

I have my USTech laminator for 3 years. No issues at all.
Had a small hick up when it came, roller was not leveled right. But that is the common issue, chain jumped of in transport and it had to be readjusted.
Called Dave and he helped me fix it over the phone.

Since, no issues.
I have MVT 500 (55"), I wish I went with MVT 600 (65") but I was limited with available space in my basement (Home based shop).

chester215

Just call me Chester.
Purchased a UStech laminator a year or 2 ago because of the positive reviews from this site.
What a Mistake!
It has a problem they couldn't solve easily so they stopped returning my emails.

AVOID the cheap ones with limited tech support and get a good one.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Hi guys. I finally have my new to me solvent printer up and running. I already have a few orders coming in for some wraps. I quickly learned that wrapping without lamination sucks. So now Im in the market for a laminator. I have looked at many online and the prices are all over the place. Does anyone have any advice on these? Im a small shop and I will mostly be doing small jobs but my printer is capable of doing up to 64 inch widths so Id like to get a laminator to match that. Should I just get something cheap for now to learn on or is this a case of "you get what you pay for"?

I can set you up with a great GFP laminator, they are great machines and you will hear lots of positive comments from other users of it on this board. Let me know if you want to see some pricing.

AF

Love our AGL. Just works. No fuss, no waste. Small jobs, full rolls. Easy to load, flat rollers, heat assist. Built like a tank. Heavy and stable for mounting. Pays for itself in jobs that didn't go into the bin. AGL also has amazing tech support if you need it. And you get full schematics and parts lists so you can maintain the machine if something should (very unlikely) break. Rollers can be re-sleeved domestically. Pneumatic pressure is fast and safe.

FatCat

We've had our USTECH laminator for 4+ years now (Wow, how time flies) and can't say enough good things about it. With most of them costing less than $3,000 I really doubt there is anything that can compare with it. Ours is an older AK-600 model and we've run miles of all kinds of laminate through it. Actually, been thinking of upgrading to one of the newer models with electric raise/lower as I do get tired of manually cranking the knobs, and might also get one with a motorized take-up as now all we seem to run are long prints because we do short stuff on our CWT table.

Again, great laminators at a great price, easy to use without breaking the bank.

VPcabs

We've had our USTECH laminator for 4+ years now (Wow, how time flies) and can't say enough good things about it. With most of them costing less than $3,000 I really doubt there is anything that can compare with it. Ours is an older AK-600 model and we've run miles of all kinds of laminate through it. Actually, been thinking of upgrading to one of the newer models with electric raise/lower as I do get tired of manually cranking the knobs, and might also get one with a motorized take-up as now all we seem to run are long prints because we do short stuff on our CWT table.

Again, great laminators at a great price, easy to use without breaking the bank.

Yeah wish I had sprung for the electric raise/lower as well.

jfiscus

Rap Master
I have used a lot of different laminators and I have to say that you can't go wrong with a GFP laminator. We have the GFP 563th with heat assist and run it all day long w/o issues, I think it can laminate around 61.5" wide max, but we've only had to do that once and we have three 63" printers here.

TomK

I have used a lot of different laminators and I have to say that you can't go wrong with a GFP laminator. We have the GFP 563th with heat assist and run it all day long w/o issues, I think it can laminate around 61.5" wide max, but we've only had to do that once and we have three 63" printers here.

Opinions on the below laminator?

I don't need a 54", but do want something with heat assist. This one looks like it has full heat, which I assume I can turn the bottom heat off and use top only.

https://www.laminator.com/signature-em-40-pro-wide-format-40-inch-roll-laminator-2.html#

Can't find much about it on the Internet, that's for sure.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Opinions on the below laminator?

I don't need a 54", but do want something with heat assist. This one looks like it has full heat, which I assume I can turn the bottom heat off and use top only.

https://www.laminator.com/signature-em-40-pro-wide-format-40-inch-roll-laminator-2.html#

Can't find much about it on the Internet, that's for sure.

That is a thermal laminator, NOT what you want for a sign company.
Who do you buy your supplies from? They should have some brands they recommend and possibly some demo machines you can come see or try out.