• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

suggestions for good photo paper

budlinch

I have a Mimaki cjv150 eco solvent printer and would like to print my students photos. I have tried Epson's premium glossy photo paper and the print looks beautiful but, the the ink is wiping off of the print. Does anyone have suggestion for a good photo paper to use with this printer? I am in Canada

netsol

We use “photo 8” from piedmont plastics (formerly diversified display) to print on our rolands
it will not get along with the chemistry of our mutoh vj1627h
for that we use hp ID (instant dry) gloss from lexjet, I think

I have a Mimaki cjv150 eco solvent printer and would like to print my students photos. I have tried Epson's premium glossy photo paper and the print looks beautiful but, the the ink is wiping off of the print. Does anyone have suggestion for a good photo paper to use with this printer? I am in Canada
Any solvent (and eco-solvent) printer will require a solvent-compatible media coating. Aqueous coated papers will not dry with solvent inks, as you have learned.

I can recommend Sihl Trisolv 3699 photobase paper or 3686 poster paper. Either will image well, but may take some time (6-24 hours) to dry completely with solvent inks.

budlinch

Thank you all for your quick responses. I think I will give the Sihl a try since they sell close to me.
Thanks again.

MarkSnelling

Mark Snelling - Hasco Graphics
Thank you all for your quick responses. I think I will give the Sihl a try since they sell close to me.
Thanks again.
Try the Performance Paper. Inexpensive and dries instantly. It isn't the typical shiny paper..more of a satin look. I move about 300 rolls a month of this out of my Cleveland warehouse. I believe Treck Hall sells it.

netsol

Try the Performance Paper. Inexpensive and dries instantly. It isn't the typical shiny paper..more of a satin look. I move about 300 rolls a month of this out of my Cleveland warehouse. I believe Treck Hall sells it.
in truth i like the satin papers better.

I've seen this incompatibility before. I needed it done fast so.... I sprayed it from a distance with Rustoleum ultra cover clear. Or, if you can get it, I am a big fan of SEM 13003 vinyl clear coat. If you can get a light coat on without it dissolving and moving the ink, then you can add a few more coats until it is sealed. It can work. But of course the compatible paper is better.

netsol

I've seen this incompatibility before. I needed it done fast so.... I sprayed it from a distance with Rustoleum ultra cover clear. Or, if you can get it, I am a big fan of SEM 13003 vinyl clear coat. If you can get a light coat on without it dissolving and moving the ink, then you can add a few more coats until it is sealed. It can work. But of course the compatible paper is better.
isn't it easier to just buy a roll of paper, compatible with the chemistry of your printer?
i have done the same thing, not with paper, but with paints, after painting mdf for "sponsor panels" under "welcome to <your town> signs.
they play with the chemistry of paints so much, i often find vinyl lifting after 2-3 weeks.
spraying a clear coat on the paint seems to be a good "cheat" (if we end up doing a LOT OF THESE i will invest the time to learn as much about paint
chemistry as i know about my inks)

budlinch

That is also what I was thinking and going to ask- "Is there a way to seal it?" example: Spray Fixative. It seems expensive for a can. I will look into the clear coats.
Thanks for the info.

bpp

Your sure that's what you pay? It's $257 on the site. I know I can negotiate but that sounds low

Bensen

I’ve had similar issues with some glossy papers before. For your Mimaki cjv150, you might want to try a photo paper specifically designed for eco-solvent inks. It might also be worth checking if there's a specific coating or laminate that can help protect the prints.

soggywinter

Your sure that's what you pay? It's $257 on the site. I know I can negotiate but that sounds low
It is. I've never requested price breaks, but maybe they have an algorithm that gives them (though my order volume is not big), or maybe they have geographic pricing differentials....? I order from their Seattle warehouse.