Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions for practicing and learning

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by trakers, Apr 10, 2007.

1. trakers

trakers Very Active Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Midwest
    Hello,

I just bought a Graphtec CE5000 cutter for personal use. Looking forward to getting it setup and running soon.

What vinyl do you experienced folks recommend I use as I learn the operation of the machine and software and start to build my installation experience.

My question is for practicing and such will using a calendered film to learn on screw me up when I move up to a higher quality cast product later?

Thank ya

Tags:
  2. mladams7259

mladams7259 Very Active Member

Sep 7, 2006
    Welcome Aboard!

3m and Oracal are tried and true products. If you you looking for cheap intermediate films I would go with some oracal 651, lg viziuon 4000 or 6000, or shinerite. You can purchase them just about anywhere. I recommend www.fellers.com or www.rjsign.com. There are a few differences in calendered and cast (HP) films. Calendered is thicker that HP film. The weeding and application techniques vary a little, but you shouldnt have much trouble switching from one to the other with a little practice. Just remember if its going outside for an extended period or the vinyl will have to conform to curved surfaces make sure you use HP film. At least you got a good plotter to start with. Many people make the mistake of getting a cheap chinese cutter. Big No-No. Good Luck!

3. PGSigns

PGSigns Active Member

Apr 1, 2005
    Switching wont hurt you a bit later on. If you are just doing things for you self and friends the Oracal 651 is a good choice to start with. Lots of colors weeds good and can be used for lots of things from car numbers to banners.
    Jimmy
    I may have some 651 that I could make you a good deal on.

4. trakers

Mar 31, 2007
    Midwest
    Thanks guys for the replies, anyone else care to chime in?

Jimmy, shoot me an e-mail to cutvinyl@gmail.com with an offer.

5. SignosaurusRex

SignosaurusRex Major Contributor

Mar 7, 2007
    Washington State
    Welcome Aboard!

6. Rich

Rich Active Member

Mar 21, 2006
    For practicing and learning....why not pen-plot using paper. It's a whole lot cheaper!

7. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Welcome from PA.

Fellers sells a nice intermediate..... ShineRite

8. trakers

Mar 31, 2007
    Midwest
    Getting started short list

Dang, wrong palce. Sorry, please disregard

9. Techman

Techman Major Contributor

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
    u forgot about the design books, and some talant, and a little idea on how to run the cutter