• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suicide - - -

et1199

Although I understand where you are coming from, and what you say makes sense (especially to people not suffering from depression), people in this state of mind have enough trouble figuring out what the hell is going on inside their own head, let alone what's inside other peoples' heads, or giving a hell about how they feel. It's the least of their worries. They are in a constant state of torture and pain.

I don't want to get into an argument - especially since I know what you are trying to say - but if I can help you to gain compassion or empathy for these people who decide to take their own life, think of it this way... it's a bit like telling a patient who just lost his leg in a hit and run in the emergency ward to shut up and stop screaming because he's causing noise pollution and waking up babies or something. It's not about being selfish. It is a sickness, a disease, the result and consequence of something terribly bad that has happened or is going on inside their head.

Peace be with all who have endeavoured such desperation and experienced the loss of a loved one.
That could not have been said better. Thank you. I certainly dont think anyone should be committing suicide regardless of their situation. Its a permanent solution to a temporary problem. However, imagine how tormented and bad they must feel and the pain they must be in to take a step so drastic as to end their own life. I think it more selfish to ask that person to continue with that torment just so you wont feel bad. I am completely against anyone taking their own life, but it is certainly not selfish.

Deaton Design

That could not have been said better. Thank you. I certainly dont think anyone should be committing suicide regardless of their situation. Its a permanent solution to a temporary problem. However, imagine how tormented and bad they must feel and the pain they must be in to take a step so drastic as to end their own life. I think it more selfish to ask that person to continue with that torment just so you wont feel bad. I am completely against anyone taking their own life, but it is certainly not selfish.
:goodpost:

bbeens

I lost my girlfriend to suicide three years ago this week. My thoughts go out to all those affected by suicide. Be good to yourselves and all those that you love. I hope no one has to suffer the same.

Bryan

Fitch

I think many underestimate the human brain and the way it can and does function.

Many are talented in the arts, music, engineering. Many have compassion, many seem hard, and everywhere in between.

The brain is a very complicated and very powerful "machine", able to assess, digest and control the entire body through information that the eyes see, nose smell, ears hear.

Whilst esasily said, create your own environment. Assess what is important in your life and consider each of these elements.

If money is important to you - go for it and respect what it can do for you. If family is important, love cherish and respect them. Daily.

Life is so full of experiences able to be had. The brain requires stimulation from so many avenues available to us in this FUCKED UP world.

How humanity and our environs is getting worse with the progression of time is beyond me. Things are supposed to improve with the passage of time.

I have certainly come to appreciate a different view on suicide over the years, My view many years ago was that it was the cowards way out. Now - not so sure.

I beg of each and every one of you to assess what is important in YOUR life. Keep that brain of yours both happy and healthy. Consider what truly makes you happy and surround yourself with only those things and those people.

If you have bad things in your life - lose them. It's as simple as that.

It is your life - no one elses. Ride your own bicycle... create your own life destiny.

I don't believe suicide is an answer - it's a result. Stay away from those situations that are bad for us and hopefully when we all turn 100... I'll see you in another world.

I'd love to hear and share your experiences of your life and I'm sure you'll want to tell all the good that has been.

Take the tears from your eyes and put a smile on your face.

Only you can do it.

Prays to all that are living and Rachael who has passed.

G

Fanaticus

Well her organs were collected for donation and she was removed from life support and passed shortly thereafter about 2:20pm on 2-17-11.

Information from her mother says that this was her 4th, and final, attempt in the previous 6 months. Though her family and friends mourn for her, we all hope she has found her peace as she has struggled with her depression for the better part of the last 12 years.

I too, like many of you, can relate. I suffer from depression myself and am constantly looking for the positive. I have attempted several times with one near sucessful attempt that was thwarted by a forum owner located in the Netherlands who managed to track my location and have the local police show up at my door while unjamming a misfired cartridge. That's an event that really changed my life, and the period that I consider my rebirth.

For those who have never experienced the loneliness and hollow feeling associated with depression you may never really understand the thoughts or feelings that can lead someone to take their own life. Someone here said it's the most selfish thing you can do... and while I can understand and agree with that view point... in the suicidal mindset you believe that everybody will truly be better off without you. That you are nothing more than a burden.

It truly is a constant struggle and every slip makes it that much harder to get back up.

My grandmother committed suicide when my mother was 15. My uncle, mom's brother, committed suicide a few years later. My mother is deeply depressed and I fear that when my dad passes (he is ill with a terminal illness) that my mother may not have the strength to hold on.

When I was 16 one of my friends decided he had had enough and pulled his car into a barn, laid a mattress behind it and laid down with the exhaust blowing onto his face and just went to sleep......

2 years ago my best friends brother in law, who was just amazing at the amount of knowledge he had on the music industry, decided he had enough and took his head off with a shotgun. He left 4 children.

about 6 months ago a good friend of mine, who had been friends of my dad's brother, had enough and attempted via shotgun. He was unsuccessful, but later passed from the trauma.

Even though I understand the feeling, I just wish that they could have found what works for them.

When I was a kid and through my early 20's the Doctor's pushed the pills at me, telling me they would make me feel better. It's hard for someone who had never really felt "happy" to know what it feels like. So when they shove pills at you and tell you you'll feel better, and everybody asks you if you feel better, you feel the expectation that you SHOULD feel better.... so you just tell people you do even if you don't. Most of those pills just take away ALL emotion. You have no ups, no downs, you just exist. MAny people stop taking the pills JUST so they can feel SOMETHING. Then the depression slips back in and it's that much harder to get back up.

I haven't felt suicidal for 5-6 years. I have many positive things going on in my life now, but I constantly seek positive things. I seek the beauty even in things that are ugly. When I feel myself starting to slip I take immediate action to rid those thoughts and get back on track..... a slip for anybody with a history of depression can really be debilitating.

My heart and prayers go out to anybody who knows the pain of suicide, directly and indirectly. I ask that anybody who feels that this is your only option to PLEASE seek help that works for you. It may be a long, slow, road to recovery... but life is worth living and you ARE loved by many.

Here is a picture of Rachel as I will remember her.

Attachments

• rachel.jpg
    rachel.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 83

Colin

Yes, it's sad how depression can overwhelm a person. Levels of depression can be all over the map, and have different causes. For some, it is purely being a victim of their own particular brain chemistry, requiring medications, while others can and do respond very well to cognitive therapy - something that I feel is very powerful and beneficial in many cases, and should be explored before meds. The way a person thinks can be a massive determining factor in the trajectory of how one feels. Ways of thinking (positive or negative) can simply be old learned habits which can be un-learned and replaced with new ones.

We seek professional help for just about everything in life, but unfortunately so often fail to see a "pro" when it comes to counselling or mental health needs.