• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa Barcode Workflow - Cutoff After Each Job

Biff

Biff
Hello,

I am rocking a pair of s2 t140 Summas using Flexi and Summa's Cutter Control Barcode Server. It is working great. However, I have one task I want it to do, but cannot figure out how to do it.

Is there a way to cut off sheets between jobs. In other words, it reads the bar code job > completes it > cuts the sheet from the plotter > starts next barcode job.

I have built a ramp/table to allow this to happen but cannot find the settings to execute it.

Thank you!

Biff

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Probably won’t be too much help but it’s definitely achievable in onyx so should be around there somewhere.

what may be of help, is it isn’t on the cutter itself or even in the summa cutter control. It’s in onyx cut server (so essentially it’s part of the cut file? It has to already be selected before sending the cut file to the work folder) so maybe it’s a setting in flexi rather than on the machine and/or machines software?

FrankW

You need to set "Auto cut off" in the driver options of Flexi. In the driver options of Flexi, you have a tab for "after cutting", and there a checkbox for "auto cut off" or similar. You can´t do it in Summa Cutter Control, it only forwards the files.

You know, depending on the version you use (since some Service Pack of Flexi 12), the barcode server functionality is integrated in the Production Manager? But sometimes, for security reasons, I recommend my customers to use SCC, because the files are physically stored, and can´t get lost because of a software crash.

Summa does that very intelligent: it will finish the previous job, will search for the next barcode, will read that barcode and finally will cut off the previous job before start cutting the next one. So there can´t be any hassle with the sensor and the front edge of the media.

CL Visual

I love the idea of auto cutoff but another option may be the take up reel. Not sure if its available for your machine but i have a s2t160 and the take up reel is amazing. I let an entire 150ft roll cut and I just come back later and grab it off when I'm ready. Saves a ton of labor not to babysit the machine. It was a very worth investment.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
I prefer cut off because I can deal with the job as it’s being cut.

I am however toying with the idea of getting a take up for the summa then cutting the labels into *customer sized* sheets on our flexa cutter after. Though it wouldn’t be set up for that so would likely need to be taken back up by the summa extremely accurately.

quick question; does the summa wind up as it’s cutting? Or does it cut a sheet then wind up? Or the full roll then wind up? And/or can you change that?

CL Visual

I prefer cut off because I can deal with the job as it’s being cut.

I am however toying with the idea of getting a take up for the summa then cutting the labels into *customer sized* sheets on our flexa cutter after. Though it wouldn’t be set up for that so would likely need to be taken back up by the summa extremely accurately.

quick question; does the summa wind up as it’s cutting? Or does it cut a sheet then wind up? Or the full roll then wind up? And/or can you change that?
You can have different settings with different options. For straight color vinyl, I have it cut the entire file, then roll it up. For print and cut, I have it read 30", cut 30", then roll it and move on. Essentially it will split a job up for you if you'd like.