• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa D60

Doug Pulver

Does anyone have any experience with this cutter, Good or Bad? I have the opportunity to pick one of these up for a reasonable price. I know that Summa has discontinued this model and to my knowledge that are still giving support.

grafxxx

i have the 24". got it about 8 years ago and still works great. it's a good lil work horse.
~mike

cOrKinSA

Are you purchasing it from them?
Before I purchased my D140-R, I was going to buy the Summa D160 SE for 3k. The only big difference between the models from what I was told was that the OPOS X on the R Model uses a Blue Light and the SE model uses a Red. I am sure there are more differences but in any case PLEASE call them first before buying from anyone else.
You might get an older model but you will get more for your money. Here is who I talked to from Summa.

Drew Groshong
Summa Inc
Vice President
(800)527-7778 Ext 105
www.summastore.com

Pat Whatley

OUTSTANDING...don't worry about support you'll never need it. We're running two of them in the shop and have NEVER had a problem. Our two Rolands were pieces of junk, for comparison. They run all day everyday.

We have a customer that orders warehouse numbers from us. Usually in the range of 1000 sets of 5 digit, 2.5" numbers at a time. With our Summas we can send the job to the plotter 140' at a time...they will stay on track from one end of the roll to the other! Find me another plotter that will do that.

sarge

I totally love mine .. has been pretty much bullet proof as well .. however, i just got this x-axis error issue i am trying to figure out .. it cuts just a little then craps out .. today i will look closer at the motor .. it has been making a little noise lately .. will call support tomorrow

jscarl

I have the Summa Pro D610. It is great. Tracks great, unlike my old roland, My only complaint is when it goes into a standby mode, it is so quiet i don't hear it and forget to shut it off. I'm going to wire a led light into the circut. A great machine.

ChiknNutz

I've had mine for about 5-1/2 yrs now...bought direct from Summa in Seattle from Drew when he was still a sales guy...now he's a VP (way to go Drew). Been a great plotter, but it's all I've ever used, so can't offer a comparison.

Just Me

i have had mine for 7 years, unfortunately i have not been able to use it for the last 3 years. It went into power saver mode and never recovered.:omg: So i had purchased a chinese cutter and used it ever since with no issues whatsoever:wink: btw, i also had bought this Summa from Drew, every brand new plotter i ever owned had came from Drew actually, good man!

Doug Pulver

Hello and Thanks for all the responce to my questions. It sound like this Summa D60 is a pretty good choice. I think I'll pick one up. I'll let you know what I think after I get it and set it up.

I've read up on the D-60 and there is one thing I'm not so sure about. The OPOS is it for doing contour cuts or is it something to do with blade wear?

Pat Whatley

It's a registration mark reader for doing contour cuts. Don't worry about blade wear. Like I said earlier we run ours almost non-stop most days. We change our blades about twice a year.

Doug Pulver

Thanks Pat, I kind of thought it was for contour cuts but I also read somewhere that the Summa D-60 can compensate for blade wear. I think that was the overcut option, my mistake.

cOrKinSA

Drew told me the OPOS was changed to conform to various types of new UV Laminates but that marking over your laminated registrations or just triming the UV over them would fix that problem. I Don't do printing so I haven't worried much on this theory.

So Doug, where are you picking it up from?

cdiesel

We started with a pair of panthers from SW, which we thought ran great. Occasionally they would mis-track, but for the most part they are great (still use them today). But, we bought a D160 and WOW! Like Pat said, that thing tracks like it's on rails.
Another vote for the Summa!

Doug Pulver

Drew told me the OPOS was changed to conform to various types of new UV Laminates but that marking over your laminated registrations or just triming the UV over them would fix that problem. I Don't do printing so I haven't worried much on this theory.

So Doug, where are you picking it up from?

cORKinSA, There is somebody selling a bunch of Summa D60's on eBay for $795.00. They are going one at a time. Just about as soon as they are listed they are being bought. 4 have already been sold and I hear there are a lot more.

cOrKinSA

cORKinSA, There is somebody selling a bunch of Summa D60's on eBay for $795.00. They are going one at a time. Just about as soon as they are listed they are being bought. 4 have already been sold and I hear there are a lot more.
Then all I can say is good luck!

Doug Pulver

cOrKinSA, I spoke with Drew today and he said that the D60 is a great plotter. We talked about what I would be useing it for and he said it should work fine for me.

Thanks for everyones help. I bought one and I can't wait to get it.

Doug Pulver

Update,

The Summa D60 arrived today (Ya hoo) I am very pleased with it. Came in two boxes and it was complete except for the plotter pen, no biggie I can pick one up if needed. This was a used unit but with the exception of the scratches from a razorblade to cut the vinyl it looks and performs as new. I also came in the original box with the original packing.

If anyone is looking for a good used plotter checkout the Summa D60s on eBay being sold now.

I didn't have any vinyl when I got it and I wanted to try it out. I went down to home depot and bought a roll of Contact Shelf Paper. Tomorrow I'll be lining the shelves and drawers.

Pat Whatley

If you ever need the pen forget about buying the overpriced plotter points. Wrap masking tape around a ball point pen or Sharpie and load it in the blade holder slot. We've been doing it for years and it works great.

signrios

how much did you pay for the d60?
i was gonna buy one form the same seller on ebay a while back, but ended up getting a used 30" roland that lasted about 5 months.
i need to get a back up plotter.
i remember they were asking about $1050 at that time.