• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa DC4sx

Anyone still using the Summa DC4sx? I have a used one i bought a couple years ago and have never really got it up and running with my system. I am running a Surface pro, with Corel Draw 2019 and Signlab Print and Cut 10.0. Would love some advice on getting this machine up and running and expanding from just strictly cut vinyl. Seems like a cool machine and would like to utilize it.
Thanks for any advice.

Attila Nagy

Should be able to run it directly from Signlab.
Screenshot 2024-10-08 at 08.58.38.png

I seem to be able to get to my Summa through Signlab Visual Production Manager, but not Signlab 10.0 print and cut. The only device that shows up on Print and cut is my Roland GS-24. Its been so long since i first tried to set this up that i am sure i am missing something.
Nevermind, i am guessing Visual Production Manager is the printer portion of signlab print and cut, i see when i select print and cut in signlab it sends it to visual production manager. Now i guess i just need to mess with settings and colors and see what ive got. any tips for original set up to make things run smoothly?

Attila Nagy

I seem to be able to get to my Summa through Signlab Visual Production Manager, but not Signlab 10.0 print and cut. The only device that shows up on Print and cut is my Roland GS-24. Its been so long since i first tried to set this up that i am sure i am missing something.
Have you Installed it as Cutting Device?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-10-12 at 14.48.39.png
    Screenshot 2024-10-12 at 14.48.39.png
    22.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot 2024-10-12 at 14.48.17.png
    Screenshot 2024-10-12 at 14.48.17.png
    120 KB · Views: 15
I was finally able to get my surface and the printer to connect via usb last night. Was able to get it to do a line feed calibration, and then i attempted to print and cut my logo and it print pretty well, needs to make some adjustments as it was pretty pixely, but then when it went to cut, the cuts were off and cut right through the graphic. And of course i am at the end of the roll of vinyl i had on hand. So now i am looking to purchase a roll of print media. Is there a particular vinyl media that works best with these Summa machines? Most of the print vinyl i see at my normal places i shop are all for eco solvent and uv inks not thermal. Any help is greatly appreciated, i need to purchase more vinyl before i can continue dialing in the machine.

FrankW

You will have to live with a rough dithering with this machines when printing CMYK-colors, they use AM-Dithering (like screen printing), and higher resolutions (up to 100 Lines per inch or more) can lead to strange effects. On the other hand, when preparing the jobs and use spot color ribbons, you have brillant quality.

Have you adjusted the Print/Cut-Offset?

I have not adjusted the print/cut offset yet, once I order more vinyl, that will be my next step. I may just use some cheap vinyl to work through the kinks, but need to find the correct vinyl for actual future jobs. I will definitely be looking into setting up spot colors as that seems to be the way to go especially for straight black images. Been cutting for years but new to the printing game so it’s like trying to learn a foreign language, especially with so many software variations for people to use. I currently run CorelDRAW 2019 (have 2024 also) and then signlab 10.0

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Do you also have the ColorControl RIP software that came with the DC4sx originally? If so, the color profiling and overall process will work much better using Corel(with the Summa Printer Tools installed) and the ColorControl software as opposed to trying to get Signlab to produce favorable results. The ColorControl RIP allows you to easily change the dot shape, line frequency, and use other features like double dot, visionprint, and hi-res mode. If you end up needing the Summa Printer Tools(which includes the Corel plug-in and the color palettes) you can download that here - https://www.airmark.com/pages/dc4-dc4sx-printer-cutter-downloads

We(Airmark) also still provide free tech support on the DC printers, so feel free to call our tech team at 800-323-9766 if you need a hand getting everything up and running.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext. 112
philj@airmark.com

Do you also have the ColorControl RIP software that came with the DC4sx originally? If so, the color profiling and overall process will work much better using Corel(with the Summa Printer Tools installed) and the ColorControl software as opposed to trying to get Signlab to produce favorable results. The ColorControl RIP allows you to easily change the dot shape, line frequency, and use other features like double dot, visionprint, and hi-res mode. If you end up needing the Summa Printer Tools(which includes the Corel plug-in and the color palettes) you can download that here - https://www.airmark.com/pages/dc4-dc4sx-printer-cutter-downloads

We(Airmark) also still provide free tech support on the DC printers, so feel free to call our tech team at 800-323-9766 if you need a hand getting everything up and running.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext. 112
philj@airmark.com
Thanks Phil, this info is much appreciated. Could you point me I. The right direction for which vinyl is best to use with Summa? Most of the vinyls I see on sig warehouse and uscutter that are print vinyl specify for eco solvent or iv ink but nothing about thermal? Just want to make sure I use the right stuff. Thanks Again

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Good morning,

We have a variety of different vinyl options that are specifically made for the DC4 & DC5 printer cutters that you can order on our site(https://www.airmark.com/collections/vinyl-media) and anything with a DC in the part number(there are several options for white and clear, cast and calendered, and a reflective option) is going to be a compatible media with your printer.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext. 112
philj@airmark.com

Good morning,

We have a variety of different vinyl options that are specifically made for the DC4 & DC5 printer cutters that you can order on our site(https://www.airmark.com/collections/vinyl-media) and anything with a DC in the part number(there are several options for white and clear, cast and calendered, and a reflective option) is going to be a compatible media with your printer.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext. 112
philj@airmark.com
Phil, to make sure I am looking at the correct vinyl. Just the vinyls from that link with the DC part number are Summa compatible correct? Looks like they are only sold in full 150’ rolls is that correct? I saw some of the other 3M vinyl was offered in smaller rolls (I.e. 30’). Also in case I need a replacement what is the price on a replacement CC dongle for a Summa Dc4sx? Thanks for your time and help.