• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa S2 T Series Dog Muck

stxrmxn

Wow i actually spent 10 grand on this peice of garbage.
I have had alot of cutters in my time.
Rolad
Mimaki
Graphtec
But this is a peice of dog muck.
Worst performing out of any of them.
I dont want a debate about it.
If you are buying a cutter do not get this one.
Do not listen to the sales people.
Do not think that because it is twice the price that it will be better.
It is not.
Fact.
What a bundle of shite!!!
Have to wait for a new Graphtec then this is going in the canal.
Be warned.

jimmmi

99.9% are very happy with this cutter and supposed to be the best in the market. What didn't you like? What problems do you have?

FrankW

I think as long as someone blames a machine without telling why, besides the fact that the machine he blames is one of the most recommended here on signs101, we do not take him serious.

I do support summa cutters for more than 20 years, very often the problem stands in front of the machine

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
I have a lemon summa and I can still say on it’s day, when it’s not being an a****** it’s a great machine. Despite numerous issues (we’re getting our second main board in as many weeks on Monday) The tracking has always been excellent and it’s a great cutter.

I’m not sure if it’s mine or not but the touch screen has always been a bit laggy and it does feel pretty clunky to use; is that just me?

stxrmxn

Flex cut.
We need to do 2 passes.
Will not work.
Does not cut accurately.
Mimaki, Roland, Graphtec can all do this. Summa cannot.
I dont care if it is highly reccomended.
I care about it working and it doesnt.
So reccomend it all you like, it wont make it better.

stxrmxn

No option to raise the blade during up time. Scratches laminated media.
Constantly have to turn it off because of screen freezes.

Signed Out

Flex cut.
We need to do 2 passes.
Will not work.
Does not cut accurately.
Mimaki, Roland, Graphtec can all do this. Summa cannot.
I dont care if it is highly reccomended.
I care about it working and it doesnt.
So reccomend it all you like, it wont make it better.

Damn dude. Did you try adding a second cutline?

Skip the flex cut all together and just run the blade depth out further. Works much better than flex cut on any machine.

Christian @ 2CT Media

You have a bad experience and the machine is crap. Yet for over 20 years many others have been singing it's praises generation after generation. News flash, every bit of electronics and machines are prone to glitches and issues.

If your only issue is Flex Cut and laminate scratches, I can tell you it's 100% user error.

Firstly, Flex Cut requires calibration on every media and test runs for every shape to find the right balance. If it takes multiple cut passes to punch cut then you need to check and adjust your blade depth, cut pressure, and flex length.

Secondly, if your blade is scratching your laminate then you have one of a few issues. One, the blade is too far out. Two, you have the wrong nose piece in place. Three, the speed/acceleration is too high and your material is too heavy causing it to wave under motion.

As for your screen freezes, you may need to reload your firmware or replace your screen. The machine is very susceptible to static and can short the screen easily causing freezes.

stxrmxn

I have the black nose peice in.
Put around 100 jobs through it trying to get the caliberation right and just wont work.
Speed / acceleration is on 50 the slowest it can be.
Mimaki Roland Graphtec can all do this yet the "best" cutter cant?
I have been told to get the extra pinch wheels but to be honest thats a bit like buying a bike without any pedals.

Bly

I know you don't want help but here's how we fixed the scratching issue.
20c worth of swab and tape.
20200530_161741.jpg

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I know you don't want help but here's how we fixed the scratching issue.
20c worth of swab and tape.
View attachment 148154

I can say with absolute certainty that this works!! I thought the suggestion was a joke at first then we tried it out and haven't looked back. Even the tech that was here installing our F series last week was impressed/surprised by the simple fix. Thanks to Bly's suggestion we were able to fix the issue of scratching prints.

FrankW

It is not common that the cutter freezes all the time. In this case, the first thing I will do is to reset the cutter to the factory settings, with the factory settings available for download on the summa website.

There are a lot of reasons why the cutter don´t cut accurately. Depending on what "accurate" means there are some diagnosis procedures to check.

FlexCut is not easy to adjust, haven´t heard anytime that someone needs to cut two passes (except the knife isn´t set correctly) or the media is very stiff, with up to 600g knife pressure most media should be cut correctly.

stxrmxn

The material is 22 mil, we use the 2 pass method (well on other cutters anyway) so that the force does not have to be as high as 1 single pass.
The 1st pass flex cuts the material the 2nd then only has to flex cut the backing.I have ordered 2 extra pinch rollers at a massive expense in the hope of getting it working.
On Mimaki Finecut it has a nice little feature where it cuts the furthest forward cut file twice and then moves onto the next furthest, this way the carriage is not moving backwards and forwards over the whole sheet all the time.
At the moment we are just using flexi.

Christian @ 2CT Media

The material is 22 mil, we use the 2 pass method (well on other cutters anyway) so that the force does not have to be as high as 1 single pass.
The 1st pass flex cuts the material the 2nd then only has to flex cut the backing.I have ordered 2 extra pinch rollers at a massive expense in the hope of getting it working.
On Mimaki Finecut it has a nice little feature where it cuts the furthest forward cut file twice and then moves onto the next furthest, this way the carriage is not moving backwards and forwards over the whole sheet all the time.
At the moment we are just using flexi.
This bit of info is hugely important. 22mil is a very thick material, what blade angle are you using? Have you tried a double edge blade?

Have you set a double cut line with minimal media movement turned on? You may want to run a full pass on your first cut then rerun the job with minimal media movement turned on for the second cut.

stxrmxn

No we just run 1 cut file with 2 passes on flexi.
Using the 60 degree sandblast blade.
I cant find the minimal media movement setting / option?

Jburns

That stuff is HEAVY - I would pre feed as much as possible so the cutter motor doesn't have to lift it off the rollers. Some folks run MX graphics and such with a table behind and in front of the cutter.

stxrmxn

Well i still stand by what i said.
Opos being replaced because nobody can figure out what is going on here.
Sorting vectors - directional makes it cut about an inch off by the way.

Attachments

• IMG_20200810_160416.jpg
    IMG_20200810_160416.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 216

jerry369

Well i still stand by what i said.
Opos being replaced because nobody can figure out what is going on here.
Sorting vectors - directional makes it cut about an inch off by the way.
Directional Sorting must be enabled only for flexcut cuts and segmentation must be enabled too (with print and cut OPOS segmenting).

To reduce any tracking problems, use shorter segments (with OPOS segmenting decrease the distance between the markers).