• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa S2 T Series Dog Muck

stxrmxn

Cuts a job out mm perfect, next job 10mm off near the last opos mark. Next job 10mm off on the oppiosite corner, next job perfect. Exact same media exact same settings. Similar job length. I dont know. It doesnt seem like some minor tweek in the settings to be honest.

jerry369

How many OPOS marks are there at one side and at which distance between them? Try a shorter distance from one mark and another ( about 20/25 mm ) and enable OPOS segmenting (4 marks).

Christian @ 2CT Media

The reason for it cutting off like that can be due to media shifting or possibly the thick laminate is causing errors in reading the marks.

Honestly for what you are producing a roll cutter was the wrong choice, you really need a flatbed cutter.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
The reason for it cutting off like that can be due to media shifting or possibly the thick laminate is causing errors in reading the marks.

Honestly for what you are producing a roll cutter was the wrong choice, you really need a flatbed cutter.

Exactly this, a roll cutter is designed to kiss cut but can do a flex cut.

A flatbed is literally made for the application you need. That is the right tool for this job.

And never being able to get a single barcode to read? A lot of this sounds like user error to me

stxrmxn

Opos marks are every 30cm.
Jobs cut off on a 60cm length sheet,then it will cut out a 2metre long sheet perfectly.
The machine IS kiss cutting at the moment.
Tables on either side of the cutter.
We have been using roll cutters to do this type of work for over 10 years with no issues.

stxrmxn

How many OPOS marks are there at one side and at which distance between them? Try a shorter distance from one mark and another ( about 20/25 mm ) and enable OPOS segmenting (4 marks).
Thank you for the suggestion but the segmenting doesnt even come close to lining up on the next set of marks (cuts)

Christian @ 2CT Media

So to start, don't take this the wrong way. This is 5+ years of Summa Experience, 15+ years of cutter experience, and a whole boat load of problem-solving knowledge.

I recommend getting back to basics. By that I mean, print a file and cut it contaminated. If that works fine, than print a file laminated with a standard thickness laminate (2-5mil). If that works, than your answer is the the thick laminate of your project requires special adjustments or cutting. If it does not work, check your lamination process to see if it is introducing any stretch or warp.

Sometimes as a current society we have been trained that everything should be easy and just work. In our world that is not the case at all! Everything takes constant trial and error with problem solving.

stxrmxn

Summa have been out to look at it.
Nothing wrong with the machine it just cant handle heavier laminate.
Which begs the question, why go up to 600g of force?
Its like having a car that will rev up to 10000rpm but will blow up at 5000rpm.
I now have a $10000 cutter sat here which is no use. I spent $1200 on extra pinch rollers. over $500 on different blades and wasted $2000 in stock.
I stand by my original statement.
Dog muck.
If anybody is thinking of getting one of these cutters think again.
I have one, it is sat here unused.
Everybody here will tell you how great they are.
It is garbage compared to other cutters.
In fact please buy mine.

stxrmxn

So kiss cutting 22 mil laminated vinyl, hardly a long job right.
At this point i had given up.

Attachments

• IMG_20200814_205905.jpg
    IMG_20200814_205905.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 178
  • IMG_20200814_205910.jpg
    IMG_20200814_205910.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 174

autoexebat

Can you post the blade you are using ? If you are using a standard 60 degree blade and using too much pressure than that is causing this issue. Also what brand name lamination ? some think lamination is softer than others .

stxrmxn

Sandblast 60 degree 390-550 tangiential.
Substance laminate.
However as you can see on the images above it is off from the moment the knife touches down.

CanuckSigns

Here are a few things you can try that will hopefully help eliminate or narrow down a few things.

1) use winplot to create the cut file, not your rip program, run the job again and cut from winplot, does this fix it? We had an issue when we installed our summa flatbed where the cuts were very similar to yours, turns out onyx messed up when we installed the flatbed drivers, reinstalled onyx and it was all fine.

2) run the same file on standard vinyl with standard laminate (3651 with 210 for example). Same issue?

3) load your thick media into the plotter and run it back and fourth 10-15 feet a few times, does the media shift at all?

Wrap Colorado

Wrap Colorado
stxrmxn Did you ever get this fixed? I have all the same issues you're having. I was told this could handle mx graphics no problem.

Had it about 2 years and I have more issues with it than not. I admit maybe my issues come from user error, but it'd be real nice if it weren't so fuckin difficult to operate. Never had issues with a graphtec.

If I had space for tables in front and behind the cutter, I'd buy a flatbed, but that's not really an option...

Same thing, everyone hypes what a difference additional pinch rollers are, now have 5 and still doesn't work right.

I just found today, that if I load the prints backwards, and flip the file in caldera, it cuts perfectly. BUT WHY. Doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Cant read marks on Substance clear vinyl which is super irritating as well.

David Wright

I see Summa has this on sale now for around $1200 off. Made me think of going for it but my 17 year old SummaSign Pro is still going. I am not a prodigious user so that helps the longevity. Summa used to promote the duo servo motors and such that made it such a good machine. Is that not so anymore?

As a side note I came here many many years ago with an issue with my plotter. It would always miss the first cut and Summa offered any useful help other than replacing the cutting head for over $1200. A few here mentioned using an O ring on the assembly and it has worked ever since.